Opinion CBC releases list of "Words you should stop using because it may offend someone"

I'll await the usual suspects telling me it's just a tiny minority with no power and I shouldn't think too much of it, or else I'm a crazy right-wing conspiracy theorist.

I'll await the usual suspects telling me it's just a tiny minority with no power and I shouldn't think too much of it, or else I'm a crazy right-wing conspiracy theorist.
Well as for who is offended, I guarantee it's a microscopic minority, but the CBC is a government sponsored news outlet here and taken as the news bible by hordes of leftist retards.

Nope I would say that when I say that word (any of the words in the article) there is no ill intent and if you take it as offensive you should work on yourself because getting offended over sounds you can make with your mouth with obvious no ill intent is weak.

It becomes ill intent when you keep doing it, because then you know what you are doing. You are being disrespectful.

It becomes ill intent when you keep doing it, because then you know what you are doing. You are being disrespectful.
Wrong. They're taking it as disrespectful because they are taking the context of the word incorrectly. If someone takes the term brainstorm as offensive I couldn't care less. Offense is subjective and it doesn't make them right.

Words are subjective. Most people, MOST people don’t find those words offensive.
It’s just liberal censorship that continues to get more crazy.

But hey, what do you expect from the whackos that think their are 57 genders.
Well I for one won't be using the word gypped around gypsies anymore. Especially if it's the HW champ. {<shrug}

No because I understand what intent is. I'm not speaking ill of people with cognitive disabilities when I say brainstorm. When I say that word the sole intent is for a group of people, any people, to put their thoughts and opinions together collectively in order to come up with the best possible idea or solution on an issue. If others take it as something else that is entirely on them and their upbringing, it has nothing to do with me.
Not if you aren't interested in expanding your awareness.

I don't need a bad TV channel to tell me how to act. My parents and sisters gave me good valours. I agree some words can hurt people and it's good to question yourself, but we've entered The boy who cried wolf territory a while back and self-righteous people do more bad than good.
You have to admit that article was better than most of the threads that are started in this forum. Did you know all the negative connotations associated with all those words? If you learned something new maybe it will keep you from unknowingly offending someone. It's not like there aren't other words you can use.

You have to admit that article was better than most of the threads that are started in this forum. Did you know all the negative connotations associated with all those words? If you learned something new maybe it will keep you from unknowingly offending someone. It's not like there aren't other words you can use.
I agree with you and @Jack V Savage. There are some words I didn't realize they could hurt people (sorry for the awful phrase). That is undeniable. But crying wolf ends up with us on the left losing power and credibility when we talk.

Don't be aggressive-aggressive. I don't want you breaking character. Keep acting as if everything the left does is normal. Support your team!!!!

:) Left is not a "team," genius, and I'm harshly critical of the left a lot (I've had many, many go-rounds with leftist dipshits here). You don't sound familiar with my posting at all.

Not if you aren't interested in expanding your awareness.
Sure I am in certain areas but regarding sounds I make with my mouth that have zero negative intention towards anyone, ill pass there. There's enough going on in the world than to get emotional over such petty shit.

I've stopped using "retarded" after having it pointed out to me that it's offensive (though I've slipped up a few times since I committed to trying to stop using it). I just think it's how decent people react. I'm not going to stop using some words that I think are not really offensive, but I appreciate it being pointed out that some at least deserve some thought. And anyway, if someone doesn't care about whether they hurt anyone, they can just ignore the piece. My bigger issue is that it's totally unhinged to call it authoritarian or to get mad about such a mild piece.

I agree with you and @Jack V Savage. There are some words I didn't realize they could hurt people (sorry for the awful phrase). That is undeniable. But crying wolf ends up with us on the left losing power and credibility when we talk.

I don't think a broad political movement can worry about credibility (as they all have many lunatics). Individuals have it or not. The piece gives some tips. People can take it or leave it.

@Jack V Savage has to change his name. It made the list.

All about context. I think using it as a noun to refer to indigenous people is pretty fucked up.

Good, relevant story. One of my favorite living authors (Walter Mosley) was working on a TV show as a consultant. He was telling a story about something a cop told him (something about "n*****s in a [irish] neighborhood" and vice versa). Came into work the next day, and was referred to HR. He said the guy said, "it's come to our attention that you used to n-word in the writers room." He responded, "I *am* the n-word in the writers room!" Ended up quitting over it, meaning that an old black dude telling a story about his life and using the n-word offended some young white writer, which cost the team its only black member. That is certainly fucked up, but indiscriminately dropping the word would also be fucked up. People should try to be decent and should also not be nuts about it.

All about context.

PleasingSoreDeer-max-1mb.gif

2830.png

https://everydayfeminism.com/2013/07/intentions-dont-really-matter/

So glad you're posting here more. I take complete credit since dropping your name in the WR Awards.

I think political correctness can be taken to extremes, as everyone's opinion is different. There doesn't appear to be any limit on the perceived offensiveness of a word or phrase. The idea behind it seems to have good intentions. Calling mentally challenged people "retards", is not politically correct. Calling a transgender person a "shemale" is as well. These are terms that are deemed offensive, and fair enough.

But how far do we go with that? Saying you'll "turn a blind-eye" to something may offend a blind person. I don't think it should, but I'm not blind so I don't get to say what they should and shouldn't find offensive. However, my intentions are not to be derogative of blind people and the term itself is pretty innocent. Is it just the word "blind" itself? Can I no longer say I was "blinded" by a flash of light? Should window blinds be renamed? There's no line, so it just becomes insanity eventually.

I think removing terms or phrases that hurt people from every day usage is a noble thing. But there comes a point, as in the OP's post, where it gets ridiculous.

Back