Catholic Ossuaries - Making Artwork Out Of Dead People

The weirder ones are from Sedlec Ossuary in Czech Republic, the church had unearthed tombs to make more space during the black plague. Then in the 19th century a noble family gave the job of sorting the bones to a woodcarver, who ended up creating these weird sculptures. I wonder if the noble family was happy with the work?

Ossuaries generally speaking were just places where they stacked remains when space was scarce. What were they going to do, throw the remains in the trash?
They could have went outside of town and dug a hole.

I could be wrong, but I think the church did this to make room in the catacombs or something. Definitely fucked up though. That being said, it is kind of beautiful artwork.

Yes I really enjoy the ... Head sitting on a platter with a hand on each side of it. So abstract and avant-garde. Really a bold move and risky presentation but it paid off in dividends.

They could have went outside of town and dug a hole.

They did. The black plague killed 60% of Europe's population, they were piling up bodies in mass graves like layers of lasagna.

We have seen the results in theocratic Christian societies, where the Christian ideology is exercised to the fullest extent. Ultimately, they end up being destructive towards the material well-being of the population, because as a religion it is not so much interested in establishing a paradise in this world compared to the next. It sees this world as sinful, and doomed to extinction.

Christianity must be restricted to serving as a moral compass, providing basic life lessons for the citizens and a cause that unifies them. Economically, educationally, scientifically, it can have a terrible impact on a society if its teachings are fundamentally imposed on the population.

Take this lesson for example:

In practice, such an ideology would essentially lead to communism.

Here is Jesus's propechy of the end of the world:

Instead of being resigned to the inevitability of such a scenario, I would greatly prefer that we prevented it from ever happening. But it is understandable why early Christians were resigned to such a fate, as they had seen the fall of many great civilizations before. Christianity, in many ways was a spiritual response to having seen all man-made creations eventually fall at that time, and even until now.

Damn that bible verse about the camel passing thru a needle is hilariously weird.

hahaha this is so weird.

Even as a kid my dad told me that they had dead saints in the basement of the church. Scared me to death...i wasn't sure if he was messing with me or not. I'm pretty sure he was serious now.

Some are not even in the basenent some are aboveground and in full display.

Damn that bible verse about the camel passing thru a needle is hilariously weird.

This is why I believe that the rich elite people who pretend to be Christians are essentially a group of cultists who worship the devil. There is no salvation for rich people in the Bible, unless they happen to be the camel who passes through the eye of the needle.

We have seen the results in theocratic Christian societies, where the Christian ideology is exercised to the fullest extent. Ultimately, they end up being destructive towards the material well-being of the population, because as a religion it is not so much interested in establishing a paradise in this world compared to the next.
So there is no active element within christianity to cause actual destruction. your take seems to be that it doesnt strive for progress like an more objective philosophy.

The only real form of a christian political structure we have to draw from is the vatican. And the vatican is worth somewhere around 15 billion. I agree that it is hypocritical in terms of catholic philosophy to opulence, but there is no message coming from catholicism that says planet earth needs to be destroyed.

They did. The black plague killed 60% of Europe's population, they were piling up bodies in mass graves like layers of lasagna.
Have you seen how many holes those kids dig in the movie Holes? If kids can do it...

This is why I believe that the rich elite people who pretend to be Christians are essentially a group of cultists who worship the devil. There is no salvation for rich people in the Bible, unless they happen to be the camel who passes through the eye of the needle.

Hehehe Middle East people and their camels

So there is no active element within christianity to cause actual destruction. your take seems to be that it doesnt strive for progress like an more objective philosophy.

Nope, there is not, but there have been. Christianity simply doesn't have a strong enough place within our societies to allow its negative influences to manifest themselves. When Christianity had a stronger position, we could see the impact more clearly. There's a reason why the men who established the United States of America were very strict about the freedom of religion. They had seen the results of Christian societies at that time, and how they limited intellectual growth.

The only real form of a christian political structure we have to draw from is the vatican. And the vatican is worth somewhere around 15 billion. I agree that it is hypocritical in terms of catholic philosophy to opulence, but there is no message coming from catholicism that says planet earth needs to be destroyed.

Christianity does not say that planet Earth needs to be destroyed, but it does say that planet Earth will be destroyed, and in many cases, they are awaiting the day when it comes. We all know about the cultist Christians who wait for the Doomsday each year. Much of Christian art and gospel music deals with the end of the world. It is a theme which is very important to Christianity, perhaps even more so than the sustaining of planet Earth while it is not destroyed.

That is some awesome, morbid shit. Hail Satan. Where's my man @InvertedCross ? He could get into this... Or is he bant?

Nope, there is not, but there have been. Christianity simply doesn't have a strong enough place within our societies to allow its negative influences to manifest themselves. When Christianity had a stronger position, we could see the impact more clearly. There's a reason why the men who established the United States of America were very strict about the freedom of religion. They had seen the results of Christian societies at that time, and how they limited intellectual growth.

Christianity does not say that planet Earth needs to be destroyed, but it does say that planet Earth will be destroyed, and in many cases, they are awaiting the day when it comes. We all know about the cultist Christians who wait for the Doomsday each year. Much of Christian art and gospel music deals with the end of the world. It is a theme which is very important to Christianity, perhaps even more so than the sustaining of planet Earth while it is not destroyed.
I can't believe people are actually buying this jackass and his bullshit propaganda against christians. Are you jealous that christians are successful and have happy lifestyles or something LOL. When did christianity every limit intellectual growth, Isaac Newton was a hardcore Christian and person who came up with the big bang theory was a catholic. Can you explain to me how Henry the 8th was able to overrule the oh so "influential" church to divorce his wife and later executed another wife. Liberals and their revisionist history lessons, yeah lets make Christianity the badguy because gays can't marry lol. don't spread false information there cupcake.

@ShinkanPo @Rex Kwon Do

the 'artwork' doesn't bother me.. I actually agree it looks pretty bad ass and I'm a huge ancient Egypt geek.. I love mummies and all that kinda shit.

my beef is that it's the catholic church doing it. a supposedly holy institution which has an INSANE history. I'm talking manipulation on a mass scale, the worst forms of torture imaginable, extortion, lying, power grabs, merging with government, TAXING POOR PEOPLE TO DEATH, mass killings of men, women and children, using religion to dominate and control millions of people etc.

to this day the RCC has the potential to be one of the most dangerous cult organization in the world. They have such a massive amount of wealth, power, and influence. I believe the top of this organisation is run by truly evil people. look at how they covered up all the kids being molested at the highest level. FUCK THE RCC.

http://www.alternet.org/belief/50-reasons-boycott-catholic-church

This +100000000000000 Likes..

@ShinkanPo @Rex Kwon Do

the 'artwork' doesn't bother me.. I actually agree it looks pretty bad ass and I'm a huge ancient Egypt geek.. I love mummies and all that kinda shit.

my beef is that it's the catholic church doing it. a supposedly holy institution which has an INSANE history. I'm talking manipulation on a mass scale, the worst forms of torture imaginable, extortion, lying, power grabs, merging with government, TAXING POOR PEOPLE TO DEATH, mass killings of men, women and children, using religion to dominate and control millions of people etc.

to this day the RCC has the potential to be one of the most dangerous cult organization in the world. They have such a massive amount of wealth, power, and influence. I believe the top of this organisation is run by truly evil people. look at how they covered up all the kids being molested at the highest level. FUCK THE RCC.

http://www.alternet.org/belief/50-reasons-boycott-catholic-church

I think you are right, minus the f bomb at the end. That church is an abomination.

I think you are right, minus the f bomb at the end. That church is an abomination.

@blackhat

The Medieval church have bizare practices.

Like when the devotees of St.Catherine of Sieha stole the head of the corpse so it can be displayed inside their church.

Also St.Catherine claimed she is magically maried to Jesus and is actually wearing Jesus' foreskin as a wedding ring!

Back