Catholic Ossuaries - Making Artwork Out Of Dead People

@blackhat @Blackened
@TheGreatA
Yeah I understaned why people may think the Catholic church have a fetish for the Macabre,or that they love morbidity!

But over all I think its okay and I don't think there is anything really wrong with the art.

Just take a look at the colection of incoruptible Saints.

Good think the Catholics in general are nice people who don't condone violence this days immagine if the Muslims do the same thing with their dead and body parts of the Saints and Martyrs that will be the ultimate religion of Death.

I can't blame @colby25 and @ripskater if they think the Catolic church is Satanic.

There are even churches that claim they have the holy foreskin of Jesus!!

I actually made a thread about Catholic Relics

saint-catherine-head.jpg

Virginia_Centurione_body.jpg

tumblr_lkwd4kCS1U1qifapbo1_1280.jpg

Like what @LionExMachina said in the other thread this is like Idol worship of the most ghoulish sort.

But I think its okay I dont mind it I love the macabre too!!

I prefer the incorupt corpses than bones.. and in the end it is a good way to presserved history and will provide material for scientific research for generations to come.

Colby and Ripskater are right about the Catholic Church. I used to think they were wrong because the Catholic Churches on a local level do a lot of good and charitable works. There are a lot of devout people involved. However, the leadership of that church is obviously serving Lucifer. It also should have been obvious to me with all the sexual abuse.

hqdefault.jpg

Colby and Ripskater are right about the Catholic Church. I used to think they were wrong because the Catholic Churches on a local level do a lot of good and charitable works. There are a lot of devout people involved. However, the leadership of that church is obviously serving Lucifer. It also should have been obvious to me with all the sexual abuse.

hqdefault.jpg

What do you think about the Catholic collection of corpses is it acceptable in Christianity to have a skeleton venerated in a cathedral or the supposed bodies of the incorupt saints?

From my little knowledge about scripture and doctrines one of the 7 acts of Mercy is to bury the dead.

Maybe @These Two Hands can give his point of view from the traditional Catholic side as he has vast knowledge regarding the Church.

It should not surprise anyone that much of their art is focused around the theme of dead people. Apocalypse, the end of the world and all of mankind is the ultimate objective of Christianity.
Right its not like christians have had a significant participation in an 18.5 trillion dollar economy.

Such destruction. much apocalypse

Right its not like christians have had a significant participation in an 18.5 trillion dollar economy.

Such destruction. much apocalypse

Christianity is less of an influence on those people than secularism or capitalism. If Christianity, as a competing ideology, overtook the position of secularism and capitalism, then those people would not give a damn about the state of the economy compared to their piousness. Christianity would teach those people to throw all of their worldly wealth away and accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour.

Give the Pope similar kind of power as he once had, and you can kiss good-bye to your material wealth in exchange for being better prepared for the next world.

Kinda weird, but having been to the catacombs in Rome i didn't think too much about it. Is normal.

What do you think about the Catholic collection of corpses is it acceptable in Christianity to have a skeleton venerated in a cathedral or the supposed bodies of the incorupt saints?

From my little knowledge about scripture and doctrines one of the 7 acts of Mercy is to bury the dead.

Maybe @These Two Hands can give his point of view from the traditional Catholic side as he has vast knowledge regarding the Church.

They are buried, then they are removed from their graves after their flesh has decomposed and the bones placed in ossuaries. It was originally a way to save space, there is just so much space for burying people. Then some sickos thought it was a good idea to play around with their bones and make art.

Christianity is less of an influence on those people than secularism or capitalism.
So it does have an influence? At first you claimed christianity was destructive.
Catholic incomes is nearly at parity with the average religiously unaffiliated
nones-demog-3.png

Give the Pope similar kind of power as he once had, and you can kiss good-bye to your material wealth in exchange for being better prepared for the next world
Studies have shown religiosity is a detterent in crime not a contributer.

An individual with high religious saliency (i.e. expressing the high importance of religion in their life) is less likely to be associated with criminal activities; similarly, an individual who regularly attends religious services or is highly involved in them tends to be less involved in criminality, with the exception of property damage.

[7]Ellis, Beaver & Wright 2009, p. 108.

So again, part contributer to highest gdp world has ever seen, lower criminality, but hell bent on world apocalypse?

Arent those ossuaries made from the dead of the black plague?

I would had expected some massive skulls and bones in Mexico when the catholic met the aztec death cults but alas nowhere to be seen.

The weirder ones are from Sedlec Ossuary in Czech Republic, the church had unearthed tombs to make more space during the black plague. Then in the 19th century a noble family gave the job of sorting the bones to a woodcarver, who ended up creating these weird sculptures. I wonder if the noble family was happy with the work?

Ossuaries generally speaking were just places where they stacked remains when space was scarce. What were they going to do, throw the remains in the trash?

Talk about a thread backfire. We nearly unanimously agree this is badass.

So it does have an influence? At first you claimed christianity was destructive.
Catholic incomes is nearly at parity with the average religiously unaffiliated
nones-demog-3.png

Studies have shown religiosity is a detterent in crime not a contributer.

[7]Ellis, Beaver & Wright 2009, p. 108.

So again, part contributer to highest gdp world has ever seen, lower criminality, but hell bent on world apocalypse?

We live in a secular world, not a Christian world, buddy. Christian values took us as far as the medieval times, no further. We have taken the power away from the church when it comes to worldly matters and separated it from the state.

What guides the average citizen nowadays is less so Christianity as it is secularism, the scientific world-view and capitalism.

We live in a secular world, not a Christian world, buddy. Christian values took us as far as the medieval times, no further. We have taken the power away from the church when it comes to worldly matters and separated it from the state and.
That doesnt explain your claim of christianity being destructive.

That doesnt explain your claim of christianity being destructive.

We have seen the results in theocratic Christian societies, where the Christian ideology is exercised to the fullest extent. Ultimately, they end up being destructive towards the material well-being of the population, because as a religion it is not so much interested in establishing a paradise in this world compared to the next. It sees this world as sinful, and doomed to extinction.

Christianity must be restricted to serving as a moral compass, providing basic life lessons for the citizens and a cause that unifies them. Economically, educationally, scientifically, it can have a terrible impact on a society if its teachings are fundamentally imposed on the population.

Take this lesson for example:

Teacher,” the man replied, “I’ve obeyed all these commandments since I was young.”

21 Looking at the man, Jesus felt genuine love for him. “There is still one thing you haven’t done,” he told him. “Go and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

22 At this the man’s face fell, and he went away sad, for he had many possessions.

23 Jesus looked around and said to his disciples, “How hard it is for the rich to enter the Kingdom of God!” 24 This amazed them. But Jesus said again, “Dear children, it is very hard to enter the Kingdom of God. 25 In fact, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the Kingdom of God!”

In practice, such an ideology would essentially lead to communism.

Here is Jesus's propechy of the end of the world:

Jesus left the temple and was walking away when his disciples came up to him to call his attention to its buildings. 2 “Do you see all these things?” he asked. “Truly I tell you, not one stone here will be left on another; every one will be thrown down.”

3 As Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately. “Tell us,” they said, “when will this happen, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?”

4 Jesus answered: “Watch out that no one deceives you. 5 For many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am the Messiah,’ and will deceive many. 6 You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. 7 Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. 8 All these are the beginning of birth pains.

9 “Then you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me. 10 At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, 11 and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. 12 Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, 13 but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved. 14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.

Instead of being resigned to the inevitability of such a scenario, I would greatly prefer that we prevented it from ever happening. But it is understandable why early Christians were resigned to such a fate, as they had seen the fall of many great civilizations before. Christianity, in many ways was a spiritual response to having seen all man-made creations eventually fall at that time, and even until now.

Last edited:
Just thought I'd make thread to expose one of the many fucked up traditions of the Roman Catholic church...

Looks like some shit out of a horror movie.

800px-Sedlec_Ossuary_chandelier.JPG

sedlec-ossuary-bone-chuch-czech-republic.jpg

chapel-of-bones.jpg

5baf444b5637ef1e66deb51c58d2e141.jpg

543830417-church-roman-catholic-monsatic-order-gettyimages.jpg

headrelic

SantaMariadellaConcezione..jpg

%93reliquary%20with%20skull%20of%20Mary%20Magdalene%94can%20be%20venerated%20and%20adored%20in%20the%20basilica%20crypt%20of%20St.%20Maximinin%20la%20Saint%20Baume%20in%20France.jpg

luther.jpg

skeletons.jpg

czermna.jpg

SkullCathedral.jpg

800px-Lebka_vaclavova.JPG

Thoughts?

hahaha this is so weird.

Even as a kid my dad told me that they had dead saints in the basement of the church. Scared me to death...i wasn't sure if he was messing with me or not. I'm pretty sure he was serious now.

Just thought I'd make thread to expose one of the many fucked up traditions of the Roman Catholic church...

Looks like some shit out of a horror movie.

800px-Sedlec_Ossuary_chandelier.JPG

sedlec-ossuary-bone-chuch-czech-republic.jpg

chapel-of-bones.jpg

5baf444b5637ef1e66deb51c58d2e141.jpg

543830417-church-roman-catholic-monsatic-order-gettyimages.jpg

headrelic

SantaMariadellaConcezione..jpg

%93reliquary%20with%20skull%20of%20Mary%20Magdalene%94can%20be%20venerated%20and%20adored%20in%20the%20basilica%20crypt%20of%20St.%20Maximinin%20la%20Saint%20Baume%20in%20France.jpg

luther.jpg

skeletons.jpg

czermna.jpg

SkullCathedral.jpg

800px-Lebka_vaclavova.JPG

Thoughts?
I could be wrong, but I think the church did this to make room in the catacombs or something. Definitely fucked up though. That being said, it is kind of beautiful artwork.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back