Cannot gain weight for the life of me!

I took a meal replacement shake with every meal and I went from 155 to 185 in about 6months

King Kabuki said:
Seriously, no.

ok ok, i'll admit that was oversimplified and i didn't explain myself well.

What i meant was that without good diet tuned to mass building, supplements mean very little.

you should definatly focus on eating more to gain wieght at such an amature level, supplements are more of a fine tuning tool.

also by the sounds of things you could up your carb intake to gain some wieght and incase you don't already know, if your protien intake is in or over the 300G a day you will cease to grow as well because of the surpluse of protien

GerardSmith7 said:
I took a meal replacement shake with every meal and I went from 155 to 185 in about 6months

What MRP was this? I took myoplex and it didn't do squat and I tried it for about a month.

if you are not gaining weight you are not eating enough.

rough guesses: assuming you eat around 100g of oatmeal and take 1 scoop of protein (both with milk) meal 1 has around 600 calories. meal 2 has around 500 calories, all of these coming from the chicken, as salad has neglible amounts of calories. pasta has around 350 per 100g, so eating 250 grams gives you 700 calories, maybe you get another 150 from a sauce. meal 4 probably gives you around 500-700 calories. meal 5 gives you at most 500 calories and 300 from the shake.

so what you're eating at the moment gives you between 2500 and 4500 calories. most people i know who SERIOUSLY gained weight hit between 4000 and 6000 calories a day. try eating more carbs, stop eating salad.

also, if you want a quick way to add calories, drink fruit juice instead of water. if you drink 3 litres of grape juice (around 65 calories per 100ml) per day you get an additional 3*650 = 1900 calories.

STILL LIFE said:
meal 1)whole grain cereal or oatmeal and fruit with N-large shake 2) Huge Chicken salad with nearly a whole breast in it 3) Any form of pasta (fat bowl of it) with a nutrigrain bar 4) Big turkey sandwich with 4 slices of turkey. 5) Chicken breast with asparagus or zuchinni. One more N-large shake right before bed. I'm 6'2 170 right now, but need to gain weight quick. Iv'e been eating like this for about 3 to 4 months and have seen very small gains.

Not to sound rude man, but you eat like a bitch. Throw in 2 chicken breasts in that salad, fuck the cereal and oatmeal and eat 4 egg whites with a handful of cheese (you can add the raw oats into your protein shake), toss out the nutrigrain bar unless you want to be a soccer mom. 4 slices of turkey? Give me a break, put another chicken breast in there or 2 cans of tuna. Supplements do exactly that...they supplement, dont rely on them to be your main source of nutrients. If it were me, I'd throw that N-large shit out to the curb and pick up a jug of protein at Sam's. 2 shakes a day for me, each with 16oz of whole milk and 2 scoops of protein.

Bottom line, eat like you are a fucking pregnant lumberjack and dont count on all those supplements to work on you like it said on the infomercial.

try eating more carbs, stop eating salad.

Salad = carbs. Learn what you're talking about.

And I don't know about the validity of fruit juice. Sugars for a hard-gainer usually equate to empty calories.

Supplements do exactly that...they supplement, dont rely on them to be your main source of nutrients. If it were me, I'd throw that N-large shit out to the curb and pick up a jug of protein at Sam's. 2 shakes a day for me, each with 16oz of whole milk and 2 scoops of protein.

So let me get this straight. Supplements suck, throw out the N-large (which is a protein powder primarily) and buy a protein powder supplement? Brilliant.

And throw out oatmeal, but add oats to your protein shake...

All you did was suggest he cram most of his meals together. I don't think you understand distribution of calories very well. And BTW, there's a more active Mod in here now so I'd leave the insults and bullshit out of your posts if you want to last very long.

Still Life, you should pay attentio to King Kabuki, he knows what he is talking about. And don't pay attention to the people who are talking shit about you, you are obviously asking the question because you don't know what to do, and there is nothing wrong with that. Also, some poster said he mixes his protein with whole milk...for the record, always mix it with water. You should pst your lifting regimen too, I'm sure there could be some area for imporvement there as well.

King Kabuki said:

100g of salad has around 10g of carbs, so to get the 70g of carbs that are in 100g of rice, you would have to eat 700g of salad!

Kabuki, what are some good fats that I should eat. Is there any foods that I should eat mass amounts of in a day that help gain? also, I can't stomach salmon or anything fish. This is gonna sound weird but I was taking 2 n-large shakes a day for the last few weeks and I wasn't benching well at all and felt weaker, then I quit taking it and now bench like 20 pounds more and don't feel weak. I don't know if whey is such a good idea for me. Thanks for your help.

jayyon39 said:
Also, some poster said he mixes his protein with whole milk...for the record, always mix it with water.

Could you explain why it would be better to use water over whole milk if the goal is too add more calories and fat?

King Kabuki said:

And I don't know about the validity of fruit juice. Sugars for a hard-gainer usually equate to empty calories.

So let me get this straight. Supplements suck, throw out the N-large (which is a protein powder primarily) and buy a protein powder supplement? Brilliant.

All you did was suggest he cram most of his meals together. I don't think you understand distribution of calories very well. And BTW, there's a more active Mod in here now so I'd leave the insults and bullshit out of your posts if you want to last very long.

Not real familiar with N-large, so my apologies on that. All I ever take is protein, and am not real big on all the other "get big quick" methods. And yes, I add oatmeal to my protein and eat egg whites for breakfast. I also take metamucil at night, but thats for another post.

I am a bullshitter at heart, so keep in mind im not trying to offend anyone here, just throwing in my 2 cents. Perhaps I just gain weight easily, but it seems that the original poster is not eating enough to accomplish his goals, so I figured that would be the best way to get my point across.

I don't think you understand distribution of calories very well

Correct, i am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I still like to throw my opinions out there and share ideas with people...this is what the boards are all about.

P.S. - Yes, I mix my protein with milk. :eek:

Calories, calories, calories.

*Good calories* (that one's for you, Kabuki).

Not real familiar with N-large, so my apologies on that. All I ever take is protein, and am not real big on all the other "get big quick" methods. And yes, I add oatmeal to my protein and eat egg whites for breakfast. I also take metamucil at night, but thats for another post.

I am a bullshitter at heart, so keep in mind im not trying to offend anyone here, just throwing in my 2 cents. Perhaps I just gain weight easily, but it seems that the original poster is not eating enough to accomplish his goals, so I figured that would be the best way to get my point across.

Quote:
I don't think you understand distribution of calories very well

Correct, i am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I still like to throw my opinions out there and share ideas with people...this is what the boards are all about.

P.S. - Yes, I mix my protein with milk.

Fair enough, just leave the namecalling and whatnot out of your posts and everything will be cool. And there's not much of a difference between eating oatmeal and adding it to your protein, it's just breaking apart the caloric content. Some people like to have their protein pre-workout to prevent muscle breakdown, and then use a protein/carb matrix meal (like say having a bowl of oatmeal with skim milk and even some whey powder and flax) for post-workout mainly to replenish glycogen stores. And it works well-enough for them.

Mick - appreciated.

dragon50 said:
Gaining weight is easy. After you ear, smoke marijuana. This will lower your blood sugar, making you hungry again. Then, eat another meal - exactly what you just ate. Do this after every meal for 2 weeks.

You will gain weight.

Yeah, this works (Arnie used to toke so he could eat the massive amounts a roided bodybuilder requires), but the trade-off for an athlete in a sport requiring the endurance and lung capacity of MMA? Maybe not a good idea.

King Kabuki said:

It took me 15 minutes to get back in my chair.

Yeah, this works (Arnie used to toke so he could eat the massive amounts a roided bodybuilder requires), but the trade-off for an athlete in a sport requiring the endurance and lung capacity of MMA? Maybe not a good idea.

Leave us remember Ah-nold's heyday was the 60's and 70's. The decades of free drugs and love, where it was alright to smoke a spliff while having un-protected sex with a woman (or two) in between sets in the parking lot of your gym in your VW bus. Plus there wasn't as much competition to be innovatve against.

It took me 15 minutes to get back in my chair.

Like I said man, policing this place is like being the Senior staff member at my job. Sometimes I have to look people in the eye when they tell me their theories at work and say:

"Yeah, that's just completely untrue."

It's even funnier when you see the dream crushed live and in-person. It has a similar affect on the Internet just without the facial expression of the person hearing it.

Speaking of which I'm going to make a thread today about a recent article on the Ephedra Wars. This shit is REALLY getting out-of-hand and I read some really terrible stuff that the FDA is doing. Speaking of which, if you're thinking about using DHEA get it while you can, it's next on the chopping block BEFORE Tribulus. Go figure.

That's what I get for not researching a prodcut before I post about it. :icon_lol:

Newcastle said:
Could you explain why it would be better to use water over whole milk if the goal is too add more calories and fat?
i don't know the science exactly, but from what I understand, which is based on, for the most part, on the posting of Coach and other people who are really knowledgable, is that milk/dairy has enzymes that hinders how effectively your body can break down the protein and get it to your muscles. Something along those lines...

jayyon39 said:
i don't know the science exactly, but from what I understand, which is based on, for the most part, on the posting of Coach and other people who are really knowledgable, is that milk/dairy has enzymes that hinders how effectively your body can break down the protein and get it to your muscles. Something along those lines...

Yeah, the primary protein in milk is casein, which clumps in your stomach is more slowly digested, and will compete with the more quickly digesting whey. Then of course is the lactose, fats, etc. None of this you want post-workout; these are all long-chained and require time to digest. Your body needs energy fast.

If you want more calories, just add another scoop of whey/maltodextrin. Ain't rocket science.

Back