• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Cannonier, UFC main event fighter - "I'm broke"

There ARE UFC fighters who left the UFC and got regular blue collar jobs.

Sean Sherk and Ed Herman became construction workers and house flippers.

Al Iaquinta sells real estate.

I don’t think anyone in any other sport does that.

These are main event guys.

To be fair Sherk was from another generation at the point he could really cash in test positive at a time when it was much harder to test positive. Raging Al wanted main event money when he only got the Khabib fight in an act of pure desperation from UFC (he was like 3rd or 4th choice of those available on short notice). Ed as much as people love him has never been a legit contender (never managed more than 3 wins in a row in UFC).

But pretty much everyone in UFC outside main event/co main would struggle to make a living without support. A lot of fighters supplement their income because being a professional MMA fighter isn't easy even once you have made UFC.

Does it really matter? I would assume before. That’s still more than most tax paying Americans make in a year for one single fight and if he would’ve won he could’ve doubled that and made $150,000.
Of course it matters. Are you not from the US?

You don’t have to be a dick about it.

I forgot. It was like 15 years ago.

Anyway most people feel like UFC fighters should get paid more then regular people do at regular jobs.

a few of them do, but most of them are middle class, even some top 10 guys.

Lol it wasn’t even the co main event.

But why? Is their job more important than a plumber’s who has to fix a leak in your house because you yourself aren’t capable of it?

Is two men fighting for your entertainment more important than paying someone so your house doesn’t get ruined like Mark Madsen’s did?

There really are 2 problems here

1) UFC payout at estimated 18%. Its bad but still more than their competitors like Bellator.

2) the much bigger problem is fighters being retards in managing their money and living way beyond their financial income only to then come running to the public in "I am broke". Every fighter I researched regarding that was a fuckup or straight out dishonest. Cannonier made 250k /year. That is MUCH more than most people. A lot more than I make and most people. going broke is only possible if you spend way too much. So no I have absolutely no sympathy for someone earning that much and instead of owning up his mistake cries to the public while living in luxury.

Examples: Tim Sylvia started a gofundme for his surgery after earning millions. He took the money of people with way less income while having 2 cars and a house. Miesha Tate just recently bitched about a 200k paycheck that was all used for her training camp & expenses. 200k!!!! These people are highly delusional and live far from reality. Diego Sanchez complained about going broke while having earned millions but missmanaging his money to the extreme. And so on. You will find dozens of men and women who most often are liars about their financial situation or spent their money like crazy. Dont believe anyone and research his financial situation first.

John Dodson had a car crash this year with his expensive SUV. His FIRST fucking reaction was to start a gofundme by his "friend" for his medical expenses and car crash. They spent one night at the hospital without serious injuries, should have a medical insurance and quite possible car insurance and savings. These guys are very dishonest. Its this beggar mentality and cheating trusting strangers out of their money. Dodson managed to grab 20k through his gofundme. Fuck him. There are a lot of people that should get our support if we have spare money but UFC fighters are not part of that group.

I thought their profit margin was less than 20% memory

if they make 20% after paying their debt the UFC makes 200 million a year. If they added million extra an event in fighter pay it would cost them about 40 million. They would give fighters on average 50K extra per fight.

I'm with Randy Couture, fighters need to unionize - YouTubers getting more in a fight than MMA fighters make in their entire career (basta).

A legit purple belt post.

He made $75k last October
140k sep 2019
108k may 2019

now that’s not professional athlete money, but he shouldn’t be broke making over 100k a year salary
This majority of the world doesn't make that kind of yearly money as a full family household. It's his spending and money management. Someone else said he made about 500k in 3 years. He shouldn't be broke, nowhere near it.

False. Bellator has much higher revenue sharing.

You are right, I meant payout in total. I am not against UFC paying more. Absolutely not. UFC are greedy to the max but the problem in fighters going broke is on the fighters and like I wrote if you get to know their circumstances they are 99% just fuckups and entitled.

Bitch, please. I've made over a million in the last five years in revenue and I don't live large. I don't pay gym fees. I don't pay management. I pay overhead for an office business. Would you be surprised to hear that I've actually made several million in the past five years and only employ three, and still don't live large?

A million dollars in revenue in five years in the U.S. isn't shit, honestly. If you're not a business owner (which UFC fighters are, for tax purposes), then you have no idea. These guys need to be making $750k+ per year in revenue to cover their expenses as contractors to the UFC and have the peace of mind to train full-time.
Not everyone deserves 750k a year. The income for most families is nowhere near that number. What are they paying for that costs hundreds of thousands of dollars per year to train where a number like that is needed like you say? You can buy a house in full in most states, if not you could do it in 2 years with that kind of pay. What are their other expenses as fighters where they blow through hundreds of thousands of dollars so easily?

I agree fighters deserve high pay, but not all fighters deserve the same amount. There are many fighters where 750k a year would be way too much for them where it wouldn't make sense that they get paid that amount.

Jared made around 1mil since joining the UFC, in UFC earnings alone, which is probably half of his his real earnings.
He got 200k vs hermansson and 400k vs Whittaker alone. Broke? Sounds like a personal problem.

Prolly has nine kids to support
Tyron-Woodley-Calls-UFC-RACIST-Talks-Kelvin-Gastelum-BEEF-Image-3730254.jpg

I think hes "broke" due to inactivity and he should clarify that. I bet hes very happy that he won his fight tonight and gets his win and show money. It's been a while. This fight should hopefully get his head above water. But yeah ufc fighters are criminally underpaid. We all know this. Bellator pays more percentage wise but they dont bring in the level of money the ufc does. Especially without having ppv and other big network deals or huge sponsorship. Like that 500 million dollar crypto deal and the fighters get zero from it. What's up with that? And they gotta wear that god awful shirt with that logo on it and get peanuts for the uniform dress code? I just feel every ufc fighter gets a shit contract they are almost forced to sign. Unless your name is connor McGregor. Then you get paid handsomely. I understand yes he brings in a lot. That should matter. But the other top guys bring in people too. And if they dont, you're the fucking promoter. Promote! No one is saying the owners shouldnt be making any money, we want the owners to make money. But we also want the fighters to get their fair share. The fighters are the product after all. Not the guys in suits. Not dana white. This isnt bum fights. Lol, some dude literally would pay bums like 20 bucks to fight each other then sell the tapes and make thousands maybe millions off pure exploitation.

As usual in threads like this, millionaire and billionaire ass-licking, defense of corporations and complete lack of empathy, to name a few. Pathetic worms.

Back