• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Cannonier, UFC main event fighter - "I'm broke"

He made $75k last October
140k sep 2019
108k may 2019

now that’s not professional athlete money, but he shouldn’t be broke making over 100k a year salary

Depends what his expenses are for training camp, but yes generally speaking he sounds pretty well off.

Sure, but that picture shows percentages, so the difference in revenue is a moot point.

in the NFL 48% of that 15 billion gets paid to the athletes
in the UFC 16% of that 1 billion gets paid to the athletes

Apples to apples, every single other organization pays their athletes what they deserve. You're right that a lot of it is probably because they're unionized.
NFL doesn’t pay taxes. NFL doesn’t have to pay venues the city builds them for free. NFL doesn’t have to pay companies to broadcast ppv they get paid to broadcast. I’m sure if you look at percentage profit instead of just revenue the numbers would be much closer.

That's why we need competition in the industry with the other MMA promotions

Well I believe fighters get better deals with Bellator, the thing is UFC has a massive platform, so you can get paid less in the UFC but utilise the platform to make more elsewhere out of sponsorships, Instagram followers etc

Some stupid and inhuman bastards out in full force in this forum today...

NFL doesn’t pay taxes. NFL doesn’t have to pay venues the city builds them for free. NFL doesn’t have to pay companies to broadcast ppv they get paid to broadcast. I’m sure if you look at percentage profit instead of just revenue the numbers would be much closer.
Nonsense. The reason the UFC is so highly valued in relation to revenue is profit margins.

We both know that the UFC isn't run like a legit business. There are no backroom dealings in the major leagues, because that's the stuff of the mafia.

I'm not pretending these guys shouldn't be paid more, but odd complaining that you're broke when you've made over $1m in the last 5 years fighting twice a year.

I've made half that in the last 5 years and have a great lifestyle, money in the bank and 50% equity in a million dollar house.

Nonsense. The reason the UFC is so highly valued in relation to revenue is profit margins.

We both know that the UFC isn't run like a legit business. There are no backroom dealings in the major leagues, because that's the stuff of the mafia.
Well the only number I can seem to find on profit margin is 25% for UFC. So if they give the fighters all the profit along with what they already pay the fighters it still won’t be close to NFL money. The NFL is highly subsidized by the local, state, and federal governments. The UFC also has to pay interest on billions of dollars of debt and also dividends to shareholders. The UFC is not nearly as efficient of a machine as most other sports leagues.

True. Also if a black braddah is from alaska is he really black. I I like Cannonier too he seems like a good braddah. Hope he does well.
Not from Alaska. Got a job out there after he left the army

QQ why does a YouTuber make more than I do doing joke boxing fights?

Let me tell a little secret that seems to be hard to grasp for some. A YouTuber is a higher tier of celebrity than mma fighter. Why is that so hard for some to understand? That’s like a McDonald’s burger flipper complaining that he makes less than an A lister film actor

There are very high earners that are in worse shape financially than average joes. Just a house in a nice neighborhood and couple of new mid level cars and a couple of vacation trips a year and a hobby can make 250,000$ a year seem like barely enough. It just cost a lot of money to have what society has deemed as an ideal lifestyle in America.

It’s sad when people can’t hold on to their money. If he has been injured for a long time, take a normal job. If you can’t fight and you can’t train, what are you complaining about? You are unemployed and have lots of time to work as a coach or whatever, him only having fought twice in two years isn’t a valid excuse. If he makes 100k show/win, then even one fight per year should be enough for him to support his family.

The UFC is greedy and should pay their fighters more, but some people will be broke regardless of how much they earn.

Back