International Canadian Man sentenced to death in China

If Canada’s so globally dominant why did none of its allies back it up when Saudi Arabia made it look completely bitch made in August?

Canada would do fookin nothin against China.
Because the situation wasn't really that bad. Canada's allies aren't going to hold its hand for every little thing. Saudi Arabia didn't really do anything to Canada, Canada just choose to not respond sternly.

Saudi is far far more vulnerable than Canada to any international pressure. Because they produce jack shit. Oil is all they got. They don't have the economy or cultural impact of Canada.

Seems harsh, don't sell drugs mmkay.

Because the situation wasn't really that bad. Canada's allies aren't going to hold its hand for every little thing. Saudi Arabia didn't really do anything to Canada, Canada just choose to not respond sternly.

Saudi is far far more vulnerable than Canada to any international pressure. Because they produce jack shit. Oil is all they got. They don't have the economy or cultural impact of Canada.

Good lord you are a retard if you think that Canada has more international clout than Saudi Arabia.

Fuck that guy. He was twice convicted of drug trafficking here in Canada. Instead of learning his lesson, he tried to do the same shit in China at a time when China is looking to make an example out of Canada.

Meth kills both ways.

Good lord you are a retard if you think that Canada has more international clout than Saudi Arabia.
They do, they just don't do much of anything with it. Western nations generally seem to doubt the degree of power they have.

Seems like this is an episode of Locked Up Abroad that won't have a happy ending.

For smuggling drugs. Fucked up. Their house their rules I guess.

I’m Canadian and wish we could do something to get him back. I don’t condone drug dealing but he’s one of our own. We wouldn’t execute a Chinese.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/wor...ians-death-sentence-triggers-debate-in-china/
Let them execute him. He commuted a crime that is punishable by death. If Canada stepped in and saved him the man would come back to your country and start dealing drugs again. If the chance of death sentence did not keep him from dealing drugs an intervention from Canada will just make him deal again because he will feel invincible.

The world cries out how we should save all these damn criminals when they mess up. These people make their choices and deserve the consequences.

I'd also kill any Westerners smuggling drugs into my country if I were Chinese.
And I'd display their bodies prominently at my largest international ports.

According to a linked cbc article, he was not shipping drugs into China. He was transporting chinese drugs destined for Austalia

'According to the Chinese court, Schellenberg was part of a group that concealed 222 bags of methamphetamine in plastic pellets and shipped it from Guangdong to Dalian. He allegedly planned to conceal it in tires and tubing and ship it via container to Australia."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/schellenberg-china-drugs-sentence-death-1.4977808

In China the death penalty for drug trafficking is common, they take it very seriously because of the history of the opium wars.

That being said, the real sentence was 20 years. After the Huawei disagreement with Canada they took it upon themselves to raise that to the death penalty to make a statement. They're imperious little hypocrites who think rules don't apply to them and other countries should tolerate any kind of unacceptable on their part just because.

Does that not apply at Canada the exact same way? They did something unacceptable and expect China to take it just because?

Let them execute him. He commuted a crime that is punishable by death. If Canada stepped in and saved him the man would come back to your country and start dealing drugs again. If the chance of death sentence did not keep him from dealing drugs an intervention from Canada will just make him deal again because he will feel invincible.

The world cries out how we should save all these damn criminals when they mess up. These people make their choices and deserve the consequences.

You a big extrajudicial killing fan too I'm guessing?
The happy medium is throwing this dude in prison for a long-ass time. Which is exactly what was going to happen until their government decided to retrial him to execute him purely for political reasons. If you aren't bothered by governments ramping up punishments arbitrarily to agitate foreign nations, you're pretty messed up and supportive of the worst of the worst state-overreaches.

Trudeau has no balls. He wants to be a feminist, go figure. A Canadian conservative government would have solved this problem a long time ago.

Trudeau has no balls. He wants to be a feminist, go figure. A Canadian conservative government would have solved this problem a long time ago.

Right, because the conservatives would go to bat for some scumbag drug dealer??

tenor.gif

They are salty cause we handed over the CEO of Huawei over to the Americans.

I"d like to hear if anyone is going to come to China's defense over this.

Yeah, I didn't think so. China is far more ruthless and dangerous than Russia ever was, they just didn't have the economic standing to show it.

Right, because the conservatives would go to bat for some scumbag drug dealer??

tenor.gif

Cruel and unusual punishment. Makes China look like savages.
But to play the devil's advocate, talk about a way to send a message to drug dealers- you bring this crap and try to poison our people, and we will kill you.

There is something about it that does appeal to me, but still seems extreme.

Trudeau could save this man by negotiating a trade for the Huawei executive.

This thread shows two things,
How irrational people are when defending their fellow country man. Be it patriotic or what.
How the dislike/hate of one country, China in the case, makes people root for the opposite side. Enemy of my enemy is friend bullshit?

Whether or not one country law/punishment harshness is appropriate or not, is not up to another to decide or condemn. If the law is there, it most likely works for the country in the long run.

The Canadian guy is smuggling over 220kg of drugs! And some itt wants his government to "trade" some deal to get him back to avoid capital punishment. I'm not saying he is definitely guilty, but his priors convictions is difficult to convince people otherwise.

Bomb the entire China because "unacceptable punishment" FOR a DRUG SMUGGLER? I know this is obviously troll or nonsense. But killing thousands or millions for ONE drug smuggler? Yeah.. China are savages and you are so civilised in your first world country.

How irrational people are when defending their fellow country man. Be it patriotic or what.
How the dislike/hate of one country, China in the case, makes people root for the opposite side. Enemy of my enemy is friend bullshit?

Whether or not one country law/punishment harshness is appropriate or not, is not up to another to decide or condemn. If the law is there, it most likely works for the country in the long run.

The Canadian guy is smuggling over 220kg of drugs! And some itt wants his government to "trade" some deal to get him back to avoid capital punishment. I'm not saying he is definitely guilty, but his priors convictions is difficult to convince people otherwise.

Bomb the entire China because "unacceptable punishment" FOR a DRUG SMUGGLER? I know this is obviously troll or nonsense. But killing thousands or millions for ONE drug smuggler? Yeah.. China are savages and you are so civilised in your first world country.
The Canadian man was given 15 years jail
China only now changed the sentence to death. It is just revenge for the Huawei executive.

The guy being involved in drug smuggling is not relevant , because the point is that China changed the sentence they gave him as a way to put pressure on Canada.

I don't want to see anyone killed.

It appears that the Canadian would not have had his sentence increased to death if the Huawei executive had not been arrested.

Both sides are finding the treatment of their citizens by the other side unfair.

A trade could be negotiated in which everybody lives.

Both sides will need to set aside their hatred of the other side to conduct this negotiation.

Trudeau didn't save Marrisa Shen, but he can save Robert Schellenberg.

Back