Elections Canadian Federal Election 2019 Thread

Can someone give an American a 2 sentence summary of the Canadian parties and their accronyms so that I can try to follow along?

PC's = Conservatives

Liberals = Liberals

NDP = Crazy far left wack jobs.

The stuff the candidates (and Max) post online is quite disturbing. I believe a bunch staff resigned in one province due to complaints of internal racism.

The tweets aren't bad but the staff resigning doesn't look good.

https://www.thepostmillennial.com/an-entire-ppc-riding-board-resigns-blaming-racist-supporters/

The letter of resignation starts off by mentioning failures within the party’s organization.

“Slow deployment of member lists, absentee regional organizers, … sudden changes in design and technical direction,” were cited. However, this was excused as it would happen to “any new party.”

The main reason for their resignation came as they believed the party supporter base had shifted. As “libertarians and small-c conservatives,” they were “appalled” to see what they believe are “racists, bigots, anti-semites, and conspiracy theorists,” dominating the supporter base.

They further believed that Bernier was encouraging these views with a “wink and a nod.”

The PPC would be lucky to gain one seat and the seat projections are disheartening.

http://338canada.com/

The PPC still don't have 338 candidates for every riding and the media has branded them alt right and racist. They failed miserably in the by elections.

They are only going to split the Conservative and give Trudeau the life line he needs.

While I agree with everything you stated, I have to go with who aligns with my values most closely. Rightly or wrongly I abstained from voting for many years because of that same reasoning.

Every party has to start somewhere and I want to help them get off the ground. If everyone worried about splitting the vote, nothing would ever change. I do believe they will have 338 candidates in short order.

This is not their election to win but they can make an impact for the future.

While I agree with everything you stated, I have to go with who aligns with my values most closely. Rightly or wrongly I abstained from voting for many years because of that same reasoning.

Every party has to start somewhere and I want to help them get off the ground. If everyone worried about splitting the vote, nothing would ever change. I do believe they will have 338 candidates in short order.

Yeah, like, in a Beer Hall in Munich, for instance. It could start anywhere!

I think we need to strategically vote just one more time. Do you think the PPC could ever gain popularity under Trudeau's leadership?

Same. IMO the Conservatives aren't offering much besides "Hey, at least we're not the Libs". NDP is a complete non-starter at this point, Greens are even more irrelevant. Bernier at least represents a strong stance against the hyper progressive agenda (he's spoken out against Yaniv which to my knowledge no other PM candidate has done), I agreed with him when he was speaking out against the dairy cartel, and there's a bunch of other issues like immigration and border security where my beliefs fall more in line with his. My concern is his stance on environment, not necessarily from a global warming perspective, but protecting our lakes and rivers. But we'll see where exactly he stands on that once the election cycle really starts.

His libertarian stance on the envirobment could be of concern but I think he knows that it would never fly in Canada. It would be a big stumbling block for his electability. People here are to conditioned to government intervention in almost every aspect of life so if he tries to push a hands off approach on environment it just won't fly.

halifax-class frigates have evolved sea sparrow missiles providing point- and (limited) area air defence

Correction: we have limited, even by Canada's standards, naval area air defence at the moment. And our subs are still a fucking joke. Let's buy a bunch of those gotland class subs if the Americans still wont let us have nuke subs.

I think we need to strategically vote just one more time. Do you think the PPC could ever gain popularity under Trudeau's leadership?

I actually think they may gain more if we got another few tears of Trudy. Forget all of the policy issues for a moment and think about purely cultural. With him at the helm the pendulum swing would be huge imho. That being said, I really don't want to go down that path.

I actually think they may gain more if we got another few tears of Trudy. Forget all of the policy issues for a moment and think about purely cultural. With him at the helm the pendulum swing would be huge imho. That being said, I really don't want to go down that path.

I could see that happening too. I agree that path wouldn't be nice since Trudeau can do a lot of crazy things and bolster his voting base in 4 years. The liberals might get even more than 4 if the right is still divided by then.

I do see your point in trying to make the PPC a legitimate party in this election just why did it have to be this one lol? I hope the CPC doesn't lose enough votes to the PPC to lose the election.

Maybe they can merge back with the CPC in the future and get the Conservatives back on course. The Conservative Party will always have a good amount of loyalist voters that you'll want to obtain. The senate is stacked with liberals too so that needs to be dealt with as well.

Grueling.

halifax-class frigates have evolved sea sparrow missiles providing point- and (limited) area air defence

We can also deploy Sea-King helicopters that will be quite useful when they suddenly stop working and fall out of the sky.

If we postion them properly they might land on top of our enemies.

I really don't know who to vote for. They're all terrible. I know that's always the case but it seems even more so this time around, or I'm just getting more and more cynical as I get older. Ever since I was in my early 20s I always went out of my way to meet whoever is running in my area/riding, whether municipal, provincial or federal election. I want to shake their hand and talk to them to try and get a feel for them, question them about policy etc. But I found in the last provincial and municipal elections I was openly hostile to all the candidates I met lmao, essentially telling them that I think they're all scumbags. I'm sure it will be the same this time around. My MP is Bill Blair so I'm definitely gonna tell him off.

Scheer doesn't inspire any confidence in me. I don't need a completely detailed program prior to an election, I know that once an election is done most of the promises go out the window. But I want to see some kind of vision, get an idea of what kind of direction you're hoping to take the country. All Scheer really seems to be offering is "owning the libz" and we're seeing how that is working out in Ontario.

The tweets aren't bad but the staff resigning doesn't look good.

https://www.thepostmillennial.com/an-entire-ppc-riding-board-resigns-blaming-racist-supporters/

The letter of resignation starts off by mentioning failures within the party’s organization.

“Slow deployment of member lists, absentee regional organizers, … sudden changes in design and technical direction,” were cited. However, this was excused as it would happen to “any new party.”

The main reason for their resignation came as they believed the party supporter base had shifted. As “libertarians and small-c conservatives,” they were “appalled” to see what they believe are “racists, bigots, anti-semites, and conspiracy theorists,” dominating the supporter base.

They further believed that Bernier was encouraging these views with a “wink and a nod.”

Have to say that I agree with them. He's called Mad Max for a reason.

I for one will be voting for the greatest Canadian actor in history,

6zqy.jpg

Justin Castro.

Lost at heterosexual <45> I want the feds to stop fighting the veterans in court. Two tiered health care system. Curtail Ottawa's spending. Bring equalisation fund up for review. Reduce the amount of unskilled immigration into the country.

@Prokofievian @Not A Theist
I'm glad you agree this isn't a problem with spending or the health care system per se. There simply aren't enough doctors. How to encourage more to enter the profession, I have no idea, but it's clear demand far out paces supply.

I think the financial incentives are already there so it will be interesting to see if anyone can offer a solution that works.

Overall, I still think voting Liberal this time around is better than the alternatives, but only because it's the lesser of evils.

@Prokofievian @Not A Theist
I'm glad you agree this isn't a problem with spending or the health care system per se. There simply aren't enough doctors. How to encourage more to enter the profession, I have no idea, but it's clear demand far out paces supply.

I think the financial incentives are already there so it will be interesting to see if anyone can offer a solution that works.

Overall, I still think voting Liberal this time around is better than the alternatives, but only because it's the lesser of evils.

Here's my idea for how the government can get involved: we create a new federal institute of higher learning. The people accepted to this institute will pay no tuition, and have their life expenses paid for them for the duration of their studies. But there's a catch: for a decade after their graduation, they are public servants and can be deployed as the federal government sees fit.

Right now, the government can't force anyone to become a family doctor. My sister is about to graduate from medical school, and she's already decided that she's going to specialize in anesthesiology. Many new med school graduates are making the same decisions: if you open a private practice, you are responsible for the overhead. If you're a hospitalist, you can make a comparable income without that overhead. I read an article from a retiring physician saying that he was actually having trouble selling his practice despite the shortage of doctors. As it stands, the government can't do anything about this beyond something drastic like I've proposed. They're just a buyer.

Back