Canadian 2015 elections? A decade of change under Harper!

• Thread starter SouthoftheAndes
  • Start date
Did I mention I absolutely HATE Harper's pedo smile and lego hair cut?

stephen-harper-1.jpg

I am a fiscally conservative AB business owner who grew up in Sask in the 80s/90s. That should pretty much sum up where my fear of NDP comes from.

Do people who complain about Roy Romanow seriously not remember what it was like with Grant Devine? If growing up in Saskatchewan in the 80s doesn't also sum up your fear of Conservatives, then I question how much attention you were paying, considering Saskatchewan in the 80s was governed by the man who led what is universally considered to be the worst government in Saskatchewan's history and is arguably the worst premier in Canadian history.

It's super weird when fiscal conservatives from Alberta tell me they're planning to vote Conservative this year, but that they won't vote NDP because of what happened in Saskatchewan or Ontario (both cases are rife with insane revisionist history). The Conservative rule you're hoping for turned Alberta's economy into a laughing stock and has destroyed the local environment in the process, has run consecutive deficits and led the country into a recession (or, at best, economic stagnation). You've got recent evidence of this! Prentice practically shit into your open mouths not only with how terrible things were, but that the terrible things were all your fault. How can people from Alberta want that at the federal level?

Do people who complain about Roy Romanow seriously not remember what it was like with Grant Devine? If growing up in Saskatchewan in the 80s doesn't also sum up your fear of Conservatives, then I question how much attention you were paying, considering Saskatchewan in the 80s was governed by the man who led what is universally considered to be the worst government in Saskatchewan's history and is arguably the worst premier in Canadian history.

It's super weird when fiscal conservatives from Alberta tell me they're planning to vote Conservative this year, but that they won't vote NDP because of what happened in Saskatchewan or Ontario (both cases are rife with insane revisionist history). The Conservative rule you're hoping for turned Alberta's economy into a laughing stock and has destroyed the local environment in the process, has run consecutive deficits and led the country into a recession (or, at best, economic stagnation). You've got recent evidence of this! Prentice practically shit into your open mouths not only with how terrible things were, but that the terrible things were all your fault. How can people from Alberta want that at the federal level?

You underestimate the impact that "Rae Days" had on a lot of people in those days.

There's still a lot of hate for what happened. It literally took me decades to get over it.

Harper is a good Christian. What's not to like? He supports Israel thankfully.

lmao

The real Harper wasn't going along with the plan so they replaced him with this thing and most people haven't caught on.

I do. His skin-suit doesn't seem to fit very well.

lmao

The real Harper wasn't going along with the plan so they replaced him with this thing and most people haven't caught on.

God damn that's creepy as fuck

He looks like one of the rubber-skin T-680 Terminators that the resistance could easily spot.

You underestimate the impact that "Rae Days" had on a lot of people in those days.

There's still a lot of hate for what happened. It literally took me decades to get over it.

There's still a lot of hate, and some of it is entirely legitimate - I am not in any way suggesting that Rae was a great premier. But there's also a lot of ignorance about the global context of his premiership. There was also a lot of straight-up sabotage that went on.

The Globe & Mail had a good article many years ago about the bullshit that Rae had to deal with. Yes, it's Gerald Caplan writing it, but the G&M is no friend of the NDP, so for them to publish it is intriguing.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ob-raes-government-in-ontario/article1314254/

Harper is a good Christian. What's not to like? He supports Israel thankfully.

He may be a good Christian (debatable), but he's a bad leader because he puts personal ideology over national interest.

Brian Mulroney was a prick but at least he was against the apartheid in South Africa, and even helped to convince Margret Thatcher that it was a bad idea.

Why do you think his subservience to isreal is a good thing? I think it's terrible.

He may be a good Christian (debatable), but he's a bad leader because he puts personal ideology over national interest.

Brian Mulroney was a prick but at least he was against the apartheid in South Africa, and even helped to convince Margret Thatcher that it was a bad idea.

Why do you think his subservience to isreal is a good thing? I think it's terrible.

Because one day (hopefully) the world will bow to Israel for governance. And when that happens it would have been better if you fought along side Israel rather than against her.

Btw I was just joking. Idk I think Harper has good foreign policy, I don't think Canada needs to be subordinate to Israel that is absurd. But I do think that keeping Israel has a strong ally is instrumental to world peace and managing Middle Eastern relations.

What's the schedule for the Canadian televised election debates?

Still the 7/8 of October, no? Hopefully everyone shows up. Also, found this interesting...

First one was last week - fairly typical debate, nothing particularly shocking. Consensus is that everyone was fine, Trudeau and May did better than expected, but no clear "winner".

There's a confirmed French debate on October 2 on TVA, and then there are several proposed debates that haven't been officially confirmed, between September and October.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/07/09/canada-election-2015-debate-dates_n_7764860.html

I am sorry my experiences being governed by NDP gets you so rustled. I have no first hand knowledge of Ontario's foray into NDP rule, but now having experienced it in two provinces, and having strong ties to Man. I can comfortable say they do a shit job.

I'm voting NDP. Most likely to unseat the conservatives in my riding.

The NDP are either going to win a minority government, or they are going to form a coalition with the Liberals and overtake a conservative minority. The Conservatives are done with.

Back