Canadian 2015 elections? A decade of change under Harper!

• Thread starter SouthoftheAndes
  • Start date
I am sorry my experiences being governed by NDP gets you so rustled. I have no first hand knowledge of Ontario's foray into NDP rule, but now having experienced it in two provinces, and having strong ties to Man. I can comfortable say they do a shit job.

Pretty sure you don't have the slightest clue about what the NDP actually did in Saskatchewan in the 90s, like enacting a bunch of fiscally conservative legislation, reversing 8 years of straight deficits inherited from Devine in the 80s, and actually managing to pay down some debt. The policies from the NDPs in the 90s insulated us from the '08 recession and set the stage for the booming Saskatchewan economy that the SK party further developed over the last 7 years.

You're a moron if you think that Romanow ruined Saskatchewan. He saved it from the brink of disaster by making a shit load of tough decisions (like closing rural hospitals).

I can't stand Harper, especially in the past few years where he got a majority. He's way too comfortable in power and he's taking the country down with his mismanagement overall.

On the foreign front:
- Lost UN security council seat by losing any good will built with the Arabs
- Became more rabid than US in sucking up to Israel, when Canada should have stayed neutral
- Follows US around like a puppet
- Bark around on the international stage like a clown despite having no real bite

Domestically:
- Ran up the national debt by leaps and bounds despite touting about "Conservative fiscal responsibility"
- Expanded government spying power and eroded privacy rights
- Imposed mandatory minimum sentence and "tough on crime" stance, despite the fact that violent crime has been decreasing for several decades.
- Prioritized oil as the driving force for the economy and neglecting manufacturing and service sectors, leading Canada into a recession as we speak due to low oil prices.
- Constantly remind people about "Liberal corruption", yet his buddies in the Senate are living it up and covering up for each other at taxpayers' expense.
- Spends millions on advertising and PR stunts, but the actual programs usually fall flat.

After these years, I realized the guy is a Canadian version of neo-con. The whole premise of his leadership (or lack thereof) is based on fear mongering, political smearing and negative campaigning. He's quite drunk with power and it's clear that he is not what he advertise himself to be. He needs to be shown the door, and quickly before he does another half a decade of damage. Several years ago, I could never see myself voting for NDP. I'm actually willing to give them a shot now just to get rid of Harper and his cronies.

It's going to be a gamble. When NDP was in power in BC, they ran the economy to the ground and favoured their union buddies. I can't see myself voting for Justin Trudeau, since I think he's all flash and no substance. I got my view confirmed when he caved in to to vote yes for Bill C-51, despite saying he doesn't like it. That shows me he has no backbone and is willing to jump on whatever boat that benefits him. Pretty boy political opportunist is not what I'm looking to vote for. However, if Liberals bring Chrestian back as the leader, I'd vote for them in a heartbeat. Jean was the best PM Canada had in the last 3 decades, no joke.

Last edited:
Btw I was just joking. Idk I think Harper has good foreign policy, I don't think Canada needs to be subordinate to Israel that is absurd. But I do think that keeping Israel has a strong ally is instrumental to world peace and managing Middle Eastern relations.

IJF09VR.jpg

Sticking with Harper this go round. I cringe every time he opens his mouth, but I prefer the evil I know in these economic times. With NDP taking AB this year I would not be surprised in the slightest if they repeat at the federal level, which keeps me up at night.
You do know that Harper ran up the national debt by $150 billion, the highest in history right? You are aware that Canada is in full recession because he put all the eggs in oil basket, which went bust right? I'm not riding on a train heading towards a cliff, no matter how well I know that train. Canada is suffering a full blown case of the Dutch Disease, with our manufacturing sector rapidly shrinking. We got nothing to fall back on other than pray oil price rebounds because of Harper's love for oil. Give him another 10 years and we'll start resembling Greece.

I am sorry my experiences being governed by NDP gets you so rustled. I have no first hand knowledge of Ontario's foray into NDP rule, but now having experienced it in two provinces, and having strong ties to Man. I can comfortable say they do a shit job.

The point was more that since you're in Alberta and grew up in Saskatchewan in the 80s, you've also got firsthand experience with two incredibly terrible Conservative governments, dramatically and objectively worse than the NDP you've experienced (especially considering Alberta's NDP has been in power for less than three months). Plus, I don't know how any self-described "fiscal conservative" could ever say that Harper is the best choice with a straight face, given his abjectly terrible fiscal record.

I mean, obviously vote for whoever you want to vote for, but your reasons for voting Conservative are seriously ridiculous, given your reasons for not voting NDP.

Under Harper Canada has turned into another puppet state for Israel its beyond pathetic.

[YT]js-xAot2oJE[/YT]

Last edited:
Pretty sure you don't have the slightest clue about what the NDP actually did in Saskatchewan in the 90s, like enacting a bunch of fiscally conservative legislation, reversing 8 years of straight deficits inherited from Devine in the 80s, and actually managing to pay down some debt. The policies from the NDPs in the 90s insulated us from the '08 recession and set the stage for the booming Saskatchewan economy that the SK party further developed over the last 7 years.

You're a moron if you think that Romanow ruined Saskatchewan. He saved it from the brink of disaster by making a shit load of tough decisions (like closing rural hospitals).

The liberals of the late 60s and cons of the 80s did far more for sasks economy than you seem to want to give them credit for. And you do realize that deficit the NDP inherited came out of that little recession we had just recovered from, coupled with argriculture commodities being absolutely destroyed. But hey I bet if the New dems where in there in the 80s none of that would have ever happened eh?

Romanow's adopted policies against his own parties wishes just to keep our heads above water, and that is your gauge of success? He literally had to do a 180 on what the NDP stand for.

And to say the NDP set up sask for the success it has recent seen is utterly absurd. $100 /bbl oil, a commodity bubble, and a housing boom does wonders, as much as any political party will want to claim it as their own success.

I will not be surprised if and when the NDP take this election. The only question will be in 20 years who will the left wing journalists and recent college grads use as a scapegoat for failure this time around.

Last edited:
The point was more that since you're in Alberta and grew up in Saskatchewan in the 80s, you've also got firsthand experience with two incredibly terrible Conservative governments, dramatically and objectively worse than the NDP you've experienced (especially considering Alberta's NDP has been in power for less than three months). Plus, I don't know how any self-described "fiscal conservative" could ever say that Harper is the best choice with a straight face, given his abjectly terrible fiscal record.

I mean, obviously vote for whoever you want to vote for, but your reasons for voting Conservative are seriously ridiculous, given your reasons for not voting NDP.

I am glad I give you guys an outlet for your pc rage, you would probably have more success writing your mla however as I am far from the conservative rep you seem to hope I am.

For all thier fuck ups (and there are alot) the pcs have governed through one of the toughest economic landscapes in the past century. I will take that over a far left wet dream or another Trudeau.

I am glad I give you guys an outlet for your pc rage, you would probably have more success writing your mla however as I am far from the conservative rep you seem to hope I am.

For all thier fuck ups (and there are alot) the pcs have governed through one of the toughest economic landscapes in the past century. I will take that over a far left wet dream or another Trudeau.

lmfao

What a mediocre frame of mind.

"Oh, he's bad, but the others might be worse!"

Never settle for the devil you're comfortable with, demand better.

I watched most of a debate on cspan yesterday. Harper seemed most reasonable. The rest of them seemed like idiots. I could be wrong though since I couldn't figure out what they were talking about most of the time, probably because I'm from Missouri. I have been to AB and BC very briefly many years ago and was very impressed by both. I'll trade Ferguson for Lethbridge if any of you are interested.

I was in the united alternative movement and have been a fan of Harper since he was the head of the national citizens coalition out west (read way before he wAs pm).

But his hard on for prisons and neocon identify style politics is a real turn off. Trudeau is an empty suit with no new ideas, and I still don't trust the NDP.

A minority Tory governemt would work for me. Harper would prob leave and the next gen could take a shot.

Still the 7/8 of October, no? Hopefully everyone shows up. Also, found this interesting...

Jesus Christ, do they allow teleprompters in the Canadian debates or what? That's an even more dry display of notes memorization than the last U.K debate :icon_chee

One thing is sure though: Canadians are polite, even in political debates, lol.

In fairness that was a primary debate (and the first one with more "fringe" candidates). If you look at the actual presidential debates, say Obama vs Romney, they are much more civil/structured. The crowd is much less "raucous" and was actually specifically asked to be silent. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYKKsRxhcro

This years Canadian debate was also much less confrontational/emotional. The last two were, well relatively, more confrontational/emotional as the contending parties had much less to lose in terms of positioning going in (willing to take more risks by being aggressive). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsYjFhf7tlo

Last edited:
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2015/08/08/election-2015-a-decade-of-change-under-harper.html

What say you Canadians? Harper in our out?

I'm not Canadian but have been paying a wee bit of attention to this. Aye so what has it? Does Trudeau or Mulcair have what it takes? Tories take it or are they out?

Personally I think Harper has been amazing for Canada and think he is great all around. He just proposed to make travel illegal to countries like Syria were terror is going on (I agree). Anyways what is the major issue to you Canadians?

So what it be?

Mulcair? Trudeau? or more of Harper? Also what are your top 5 major concerns going into this election?

He learned all his political acumen from copying Dubya. As far as I am concerned he should take a long walk off a short pier.

See the thread elsewhere on this forum describing American democracy as broken and more like an oligarchy. Harper has been working very very hard to do the same here. It's disgusting he was elected by only half the country (the resource heavy half) and he has therefore spent his last term screwing over small business and lower income people while supporting his "corporate partners" and cooperating with the US in information gathering via questionable means. Sadly, Canada has been a proven partner in the USA's Echelon program. If he gets re-elected I will likely remove myself from any thoughts about politics out of sheer frustration.

The whole premise of his leadership (or lack thereof) is based on fear mongering, political smearing and negative campaigning. He's quite drunk with power and it's clear that he is not what he advertise himself to be. He needs to be shown the door, and quickly before he does another half a decade of damage. Several years ago, I could never see myself voting for NDP. I'm actually willing to give them a shot now just to get rid of Harper and his cronies.

I would give anyone a shot rather than see him re-elected, particularly him. I kid, the pun was too good to pass up. Seriously, though, he's using every dirty trick in the book, including bending campaign rules, creating a longer campaign period so they can spend more of their corporate war chest and bypass normal spending limits, something none of the other parties have the resources to match. They have even taken steps to promote US style PACs. Fuck that guy and everything he stands for.

Still the 7/8 of October, no? Hopefully everyone shows up. Also, found this interesting...

Very interesting indeed and it demonstrates why we have such a hard time taking Americans (and Fox News particularly) all that seriously unless they're holding guns.

I think Trudeau's first response encapsulates how I feel about Harper pretty well. What's funny to me is the "who will fix the economy" debate. When the price of oil goes back up we will do better. Plain and simple. Our economy is about as diverse as the view from a Saskatchewan farm house, partly thanks to the man in charge, but no matter what the reason, when resources rebound, so will the economy.

Very interesting indeed and it demonstrates why we have such a hard time taking Americans (and Fox News particularly) all that seriously unless they're holding guns.

I think Trudeau's first response encapsulates how I feel about Harper pretty well. What's funny to me is the "who will fix the economy" debate. When the price of oil goes back up we will do better. Plain and simple. Our economy is about as diverse as the view from a Saskatchewan farm house, partly thanks to the man in charge, but no matter what the reason, when resources rebound, so will the economy.

Not worried we might be in an era of cheap oil with the US shale boom/cracking and Saudis flooding the market? Not saying your wrong but it seems like it might be several years before we hit high oil prices again.

No disrespect intended by this, but the debate the other night came across more like something you would expect to see at a rural states governors race or a large city council- something about the set and or personalities involved I guess. I'm not implying cheap or second rate, just maybe a lack of importance or significance. It was kinda surreal.

Not worried we might be in an era of cheap oil with the US shale boom/cracking and Saudis flooding the market? Not saying your wrong but it seems like it might be several years before we hit high oil prices again.

No disrespect intended by this, but the debate the other night came across more like something you would expect to see at a rural states governors race or a large city council- something about the set and or personalities involved I guess. I'm not implying cheap or second rate, just maybe a lack of importance or significance. It was kinda surreal.

I never implied any sort of timeline. Could be a long bad recession. I don't know but I know it doesn't get fixed depending upon which of those yo-yos wins the next election.

I could be wrong but I believe the magazine Maclean's (owned by the Rogers media empire but not itself a super huger company) were the ones who set up and paid for the debate. You're not going to get Newscorp production values.

In fairness that was a primary debate (and the first one with more "fringe" candidates). If you look at the actual presidential debates, say Obama vs Romney, they are much more civil/structured. The crowd is much less "raucous" and was actually specifically asked to be silent. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYKKsRxhcro

This years Canadian debate was also much less confrontational/emotional. The last two were, well relatively, more confrontational/emotional as the contending parties had much less to lose in terms of positioning going in (willing to take more risks by being aggressive). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsYjFhf7tlo

Well, the fringiest fringe candidate is polling twice as well as his nearest competitor, and there aren't really any Bachmanns or Santorums in the big debate, it's just the pageantry that seems kind of silly. This debate Maclean's hosted was definitely low-key, which I appreciate, but I would like a little more fire sometimes. I think everyone got a chance to say what they wanted, which was nice.

Back