Canadian 2015 elections? A decade of change under Harper!

• Thread starter SouthoftheAndes
  • Start date
I have voted NDP in the last Provincial (ON) election for the first time ever. I hate that the Liberals are basically just like the PC in that they just want power for the sake of power and are just as corrupt. At least the NDP have a vision for Canada that seems to be sincere in its attempt to better the majority ie middle class.

They should start a new super Right Wing party just to weaken the PC! LOL

Because, candidates can win a seat with depressingly small %s of the popular vote. The Liberal gets 35%, the NDP gets 25%, and the Conservative gets 40%, the Conservative wins with 40% of, say, 60% voter turnout. This means that if I suspect the Liberal will come close to winning, as in this example, but I support the NDP platform, I am punished for voting my preference, because I would never vote Conservative, but my vote for the NDP helps them, or is at the least neutral. Runoff voting, where people rank their choices and candidates are eliminated until one has 50%+, would be far superior, or some form or proportional representation. However, we need 60% to amend the voting system, and fucking geezers voted it down last time because they thought it was too complicated.

FPTP is a serious compounding factor of voter apathy.

That sounds like a great idea. I wonder if any nation currently has the system you propose.

Yeah FPTP seems like only a great idea when there are two political parties otherwise it seems all other parties and factions in the country will be left feeling dissatisfied. In America with only really two political parties when one president wins at least half the citizens are happy and many others can deal with it because that president works/cooperates to some degree (maybe) with factions within their party.

Things that bother me about Harper:

-He's a corporate shill who has rolled back environmental protection protocols in order to lube the way for energy projects.
-Muzzling scientists.
-Using CSIS to spy on activist.

-His complete and utter thralldom to isreal (His "measured response" comment during the pogrom isreal inflicted on Lebanon in 2006.)

-Bill C-51

-His lies about the Federal Accountability Act.

-Proroguing Parliament...four times.

-Bullshit omnibus bills that shortdicks the Parliament's power.

-Electoral fraud during the 2011 contest.

The worse thing is, he's probably parsecs better than Trudeau.

For the first time in my life, and with a heavy heart, i'm going to vote NDP.

-

Yes, many Canadians feel the same dissatisfactions regarding Harper. I was going to vote liberal, but I liked what I heard from Muclair during the debate. I still haven't decided between the Liberal party and the NDP. I'm worried that votes for Harper's opposition will be split in a way that will allow the conservatives the majority.

Sticking with Harper this go round. I cringe every time he opens his mouth, but I prefer the evil I know in these economic times. With NDP taking AB this year I would not be surprised in the slightest if they repeat at the federal level, which keeps me up at night.

Sticking with Harper this go round. I cringe every time he opens his mouth, but I prefer the evil I know in these economic times. With NDP taking AB this year I would not be surprised in the slightest if they repeat at the federal level, which keeps me up at night.

Could you explain a little? What you fear?

Yes, many Canadians feel the same dissatisfactions regarding Harper. I was going to vote liberal, but I liked what I heard from Muclair during the debate. I still haven't decided between the Liberal party and the NDP. I'm worried that votes for Harper's opposition will be split in a way that will allow the conservatives the majority.

Justin Trudeau's support for bill c-51 and the dickless justification he gave for that support killed any plans I had to vote for them

Philosophically against harper and conservatives but the man is giving my kids money, more tfsa limit, income splitting,

With the per vote subsidy now gone is there any actual difference made by voting in a locked riding? Other then bolstering the popular vote numbers.

NDP in Alberta are looking incompetent. Their public relations representative can't even be reached.

I will be voting for whoever is most likely to unseat my Conservative MP. My riding was decided by 6 votes last time, so almost certainly I will be voting Liberal as we don't even have an NDP candidate. Bit of a sour taste with the whole C-51 thing, but Harper and his team are such enormous piles of regressive human garbage that ABC is the way I have to go.

Harper has turned Canada from a place that was once worthy of respect and admiration into the scourge of the Earth.

I for one hope he is soundly defeated.

The worse thing is, he's probably parsecs better than Trudeau. -

A lot of the problem I have with criticism about Trudeau is that it's often a lot of noise and not a lot of signal, or it's stupid bullshit criticism like "He's an empty suit! All style and no substance! He's not ready!" or other stupid immeasurable CPC talking point complaints, or other dumb bullshit taken wildly out of context. On the internet, you don't hear much criticism of Trudeau on his policies, with the exception of C-51.

A lot of the problem I have with criticism about Trudeau is that it's often a lot of noise and not a lot of signal, or it's stupid bullshit criticism like "He's an empty suit! All style and no substance! He's not ready!" or other stupid immeasurable CPC talking point complaints, or other dumb bullshit taken wildly out of context. On the internet, you don't hear much criticism of Trudeau on his policies, with the exception of C-51.

If I'm wrong I'll be the happiest person here.

For me it's the attack ads that take a couple seconds of quote and spin it over and over. I've listened to hours of political ads, and you get pretty good at knowing when something was taken out of context, and these days a quick Google search will do it. Like I said, I'm NDP full steam this year, but I hate a lot of the rhetoric that's been used so far, I'm glad our election cycle is so short.

I am a fiscally conservative AB business owner who grew up in Sask in the 80s/90s. That should pretty much sum up where my fear of NDP comes from.

That's like saying you're worried Harper is going to re-cancel the avro- arrow because he's a conservative.

One has nothing whatsoever to do with the other.

Harper has turned Canada from a place that was once worthy of respect and admiration into the scourge of the Earth.

I for one hope he is soundly defeated.

come on, canada the scourge of the Earth?

Back