News Canada Border Agent denied Rodtang from entering Canada on suspicion of illegally entry

I find Canada is more easy to enter than USA overall, though you never know my little sister was refused entry when on her way to her daughter's wedding in Canada and she is a USA citizen that does not travel much. But when doing events the Promotion gets all the paperwork done and sponsors them. Chatri Sityodtong should have helped in some way.

Last edited:
I find Canada is more easy to enter than USA overall, though you never know my little sister was refused entry when on her way to her daughter's wedding in Canada and she is a USA citizen that does not travel much. But when doing events the Promotion gets all the paperwork done and sponsors them. Chatri Sityodtong is a citizen of Canada so should have helped in some way.
Probably just some douchebag agent on a power trip.

The funny thing is if Rodtang actually did decide to just stay in Canada he would make bank as a trainer and would have a huge incentive to work and pay taxes, would greatly advance our sport performance, and seems like a responsible family man who would teach his kids to obey the law. Pretty huge benefit, but instead we deny him. Seems like we cant get anything right these days.

For as big as Rodtang is he doesn't have enough money to just chill in Thailand? no wonder everyone is crossing over to MMA or boxing these days. No money in Muay Thai even at the highest level to bother anymore.

For as big as Rodtang is he doesn't have enough money to just chill in Thailand? no wonder everyone is crossing over to MMA or boxing these days. No money in Muay Thai even at the highest level to bother anymore.
I wouldn't look at this example of a fighter going abroad to do seminars as an indicator that they aren't making any money.,.

I think the money they get goes pretty far in Thailand. Superlek earned enough to get his dream home and Rodtang in turn has probably made a lot more than him.

I wouldn't look at this example of a fighter going abroad to do seminars as an indicator that they aren't making any money.,.
I'm not saying Rodtang is broke by any means but fighters going overseas to do seminar tours isn't really something we see until the end of their career or after. Not during their prime. Which leads me to believe he isn't making as much money as someone of his caliber should be making.

I'm not, I'm looking at this as a fighter like Rodtang not making as much money as he should be if he's doing seminar tours during the prime of his career. How often do you see super star fighters doing seminars in the prime of their careers?

I'm not saying Rodtang is broke by any means but fighters going overseas to do seminar tours isn't really something we see until the end of their career or after. Not during their prime. Which leads me to believe he isn't making as much money as someone of his caliber should be making.

I'm not, I'm looking at this as a fighter like Rodtang not making as much money as he should be if he's doing seminar tours during the prime of his career. How often do you see super star fighters doing seminars in the prime of their careers?

You're looking at this the wrong way.

Going abroad to do seminars doesn't mean you're broke. If you think that their trip, hotel stay and expenses are covered by whoever is inviting them + they also get some Western money for the seminar which when converted back to Thai currency always means more for them, it's definitely worth it. It's also a way to travel a bit and give Muay Thai even more exposure internationally.

In order to do that though you need to have first built your name internationally so that people want to invite you in and attend your seminars. Most people in the West don't follow the stadium Muay Thai scene and would have no clue who the top fighters in their prime are. It's only when the fighters get some international exposure and get popular like Buakaw, Saenchai, Rodtang etc. that it's then easy to get seminar bookings and do a little round trip of several seminars in North America or Europe.

So it's not so much about being in your prime or not, but more about if you've already gotten a name in the West. And that usually only happens at the end of their prime when they're on their "international retirement tour" fighting in Western promotions or Kickboxing or just fighting farangs.

Btw, some would also argue that Rodtang is already past his prime or at least at least towards the end of it now anyway.

The biggest earners in all combat sports do seminars. Muay Thai. MMA. Boxing. Kickboxing.

Seminars are a great help to many people within their respective sports. Many do them out of love.

The biggest earners in all combat sports do seminars. Muay Thai. MMA. Boxing. Kickboxing.

Seminars are a great help to many people within their respective sports. Many do them out of love.
I know seminars are a big thing in the martial arts world. It's just you don't normally see the biggest earners doing seminars until they're nearing the end of their careers. Rodtang is still young and in his prime so it's kind of unusual for me to see someone like him doing seminars already.

You're looking at this the wrong way.

Going abroad to do seminars doesn't mean you're broke. If you think that their trip, hotel stay and expenses are covered by whoever is inviting them + they also get some Western money for the seminar which when converted back to Thai currency always means more for them, it's definitely worth it. It's also a way to travel a bit and give Muay Thai even more exposure internationally.

In order to do that though you need to have first built your name internationally so that people want to invite you in and attend your seminars. Most people in the West don't follow the stadium Muay Thai scene and would have no clue who the top fighters in their prime are. It's only when the fighters get some international exposure and get popular like Buakaw, Saenchai, Rodtang etc. that it's then easy to get seminar bookings and do a little round trip of several seminars in North America or Europe.

So it's not so much about being in your prime or not, but more about if you've already gotten a name in the West. And that usually only happens at the end of their prime when they're on their "international retirement tour" fighting in Western promotions or Kickboxing or just fighting farangs.

Btw, some would also argue that Rodtang is already past his prime or at least at least towards the end of it now anyway.
Yeah, I don't think he's broke, it's just unusual to see someone like Rodtang who is still young and debatably still in his prime to be doing seminar tours already. Which is why I believed he may be not making as much as he should be, but I could be looking too deep into it and it might be just him doing it for fun and to see a new place while making some extra money in the process. Canada has a pretty big Muay Thai community so him choosing there to do a seminar tour makes sense.

I think you're misunderstanding the business model for martial artist. I've been at gyms where guys have come from very far to do seminars and they were still active fighters in MMA (top tier MMA also).

Seminars pay good money, you get to travel, you connect with other people for future training/business chances, and build relationships.

For someone coming from Thailand it is a no brainer. In the country I live in now I see guys doing seminars coming from the NBA, real players that fans would know, who make way more money than anyone in MMA.

I know seminars are a big thing in the martial arts world. It's just you don't normally see the biggest earners doing seminars until they're nearing the end of their careers. Rodtang is still young and in his prime so it's kind of unusual for me to see someone like him doing seminars already.

Yeah, I don't think he's broke, it's just unusual to see someone like Rodtang who is still young and debatably still in his prime to be doing seminar tours already. Which is why I believed he may be not making as much as he should be, but I could be looking too deep into it and it might be just him doing it for fun and to see a new place while making some extra money in the process. Canada has a pretty big Muay Thai community so him choosing there to do a seminar tour makes sense.
Yes... really bizarre that he would tour while at the peak of his popularity lol.

There are a ton of amazing Thai fighters who simply don't have the same draw power as Rodtang. And one day, he will just be another name. But right now, he has an aura and has the ability to draw big crowds.

He is currently just 26 and arguably won his last bout with Superlek. He always fought aggressively every fight, don't think he has that much wears and tears on his body like Buakaw, Superbon, Saenchai. At most, he would be a little less fresher than Tawanchai and Haggerty due to the nature of his muay style.

He is currently just 26 and arguably won his last bout with Superlek. He always fought aggressively every fight, don't think he has that much wears and tears on his body like Buakaw, Superbon, Saenchai. At most, he would be a little less fresher than Tawanchai and Haggerty due to the nature of his muay style.

Man, he takes major shots and has had many fights. Fighting in ONE has likely given his career more longevity because he doesn't have to fight every week anymore, but he doesn't have a style that typically tends to aging well.

Man, he takes major shots and has had many fights. Fighting in ONE has likely given his career more longevity because he doesn't have to fight every week anymore, but he doesn't have a style that typically tends to age well.

Last edited:
Context is important. He has 300+ fights and has been fighting for 15 years with an aggressive boxing-heavy style that doesn't include much head movement. He got hit a lot fighting in the stadiums, especially facing the much higher level of competition there than he generally goes up against in ONE. It's very fair to say that he's probably not in peak condition anymore, but no one really knows the truth of it except him and his team

Last edited:

Exactly as @Monte Moku said, he's been fighting constantly for 15 years, has had over 300 fights and taken quite a bit of damage along the way with that style. He's been on pretty much an international retirement tour fighting lesser skilled farangs since 2021 until his fight with Superlek.

The funny thing is if Rodtang actually did decide to just stay in Canada he would make bank as a trainer and would have a huge incentive to work and pay taxes, would greatly advance our sport performance, and seems like a responsible family man who would teach his kids to obey the law. Pretty huge benefit, but instead we deny him. Seems like we cant get anything right these days.

So more Candians can get brain damage ?

Back