Can you lead with a left hook?

For myself, it depends. I'm 5'7, but my reach isn't horrible. If I'm going to lead with a hook, I'll do a left jab/left hook, and then usually follow up with an uppercut.

I like throwing the cross/hook/cross personally, and you can change it up with cross/hook/uppercut as well.

I've landed several lead left hooks. My punching strength and power is pretty good for my size though. Then again, I've been boxing at a very young age. It's probably my most effective punch. KO'd 5 guys with it. Was caught once with a counter right, but I just shook it off. I seriously have a freakish thick skull.

what kind of question is this?
of course you can lead with a hook
you can lead with anything

the hook-cross, hook-hook, hook-body
and of course,
the hook-low kick is one of the most commonly used combinations in kickboxing
and is a bread and butter of most dutch fighters

there is nothing particularly dangerous about leading with the hook
just the same as any execution, as long as you use proper mechanics

I seriously have a freakish thick skull.
I would have never guessed. Look, you can land a lead anything if you're faster than the other guy. The question is WHY do you, as a right-handed fighter, want to lead with a left hook? At least someone here made sense when he said he will mix the hook in with the jab, but even then that's video game shit.
The time for a left hook is...you know what, I'm not gonna bother. Use Chun Li's lighting kick whenever you can, it works wonders.

it's great to use when your opponent is expecting a jab.

you can but it takes a lot of work like any combination, you need to look at it and fix whats wrong like what your leaving open off of the hook and then you might want to work combinations and stuff off it and then work it in sparring and mits and then you've got it

Establish the jab first and left hooks (right hooks for me) are fine.

Back