Can you lead with a left hook?

leading w/ a left hook can be effective, BUT only if you can pull it off. cus if you're going by the book, you should NEVER lead with a left hook.

guys like roy jones were able to get away with it becaue they had godlike speed and reflexes...which the vast majority of people don't have.

forward moving pressure fighters like frazier, tua, tyson, etc. were able to utilize left hook leads cus they'd dip low, usually after slipping a jab, and be on the inside.

so if you're reflexes and speed are average; or if you aren't deep inside the pocket, don't be leading w/ a left hook, anyone who knows what they're doing will hurt you big if you do.

I like to lead with the lead hook but not all the time because of the mentioned answers of possibly getting countered but anything you do in fighting runs that risk.

A leaping left hook is a staple for a lot of fighters. It's not that hard, but different from the textbook tight inside hook. Not that risky as some posters make it out to be.

Now leading with a RIGHT HOOK, that's just asking to be countered.

if you can get your opponent to guess jab and to fear your jab then a good tight quick left hook is a good change up. just be careful for that counter right

I love it, but it is *dangerous*. Cthon is right, the left hook/right cross combo is nasty and unexpected.

You can throw it with tolerable safety if you establish your jab first, because the other guy is expecting a jab from your left hand. If he knows you are leading with a hook (as sometimes happens with limited fighters that have no jab and a slow right cross), then you are doomed because he will eat you up with right cross counters.

I still prefer to throw it off the jab though -- double jab, then for the next combo jab/hook/cross. The guy expects the double jab or jab/cross, and the jab/hook combo is really unexpected.

The lead hook gets a bad rap because it is often used out of desperation by fighters without a good jab, which is exactly when it should *not* be used. Its best use is shown by someone like Wlad, who sets it up with a great jab, and then lead hooks you instead of the jab.

best answer in this thread. I only throw lead left hooks or off the jab if I think he's gonna expect a jab. I try to jab the shit out of my opponent pop him with a left hook here and there. Your double jab 1 3 2 combo is exactly what I do a lot. I love that combo. I tag dudes with the left hook a lot when I throw it with that combo.

The problem I have is I have trouble connecting with the straight because I have a shitty straight. I also seem to lack significant power when throwing a left hook alone or off the jab. I get a real good left hook when I throw it off a right hand punch because my body is pivoted to my left and I turn my body right into the left hook.

Dude, people lead with the left hook all the time, it's a good way to catch people.

The old three-two (left hook-right straight) is one of the most basic combinations in boxing.

I agree. I think leading with a left hook sets up a takedown nice as well.

Definitely works for me, especially if they don't expect it. I also love using the hook, cut kick.

if you are great with the hook, yes...throw it as a counter, yes..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSyLQmTa-HI

1:11 of this video

Why did that work? (he threw a lot of other lead left hooks, and most of them did land). Is it cuz vargas has bad head movement? or did DLH fake a jab, vargas tilted to the right, and DLH threw a left hook, making him run into the punch?

It'll work if your are fighting with someone with little to no experience. It leaves you to open for just a simple jab. I always like to throw a jab then hook with the same hand.

A lead left hook is a great counter move, preferably after making an inside slip or after doing a bob and weave or dempsey roll to the inside. The only time I'd use it offensively is if the opponent is covering his face with both gloves and you see an opening. Otherwise, it's best to set up your left hook with another punch.

In order for the lead left hook to work you have to either catch someone really flat or you have to set it up with a technique to draw their hands forward such as a lead hand jab. That's why hook off the jab is about as classic boxing as you get.

The risk as some have suggested is that if you throw the lead left hook and your opponent picks up on it, he will get inside of your line and knock you simple. The worst part of this is that your own arms motion does most of the work for them.

I think you can but do it too much and you will get countered.
A good tight hook with a slight step and pivot as your opponent comes forward to take you outside their rear hand is a good way to get a nice angle on your opponent. Bernard Hopkins is a good exponent of this type of lead hand hook.

Also the lead hook thrown as a jab that turns into a hook is an excellent shot which catches your opponent unawares, especially after you have been feeding him the jab prior to that. Known by some as the corkscrew hook.

Throwing it off a bob and weave is also a good way to lead with the hook.

Why did that work? (he threw a lot of other lead left hooks, and most of them did land). Is it cuz vargas has bad head movement? or did DLH fake a jab, vargas tilted to the right, and DLH threw a left hook, making him run into the punch?

It worked becuase he threw it as a counter. He put vargas in the position he wanted him in..waited until vargas was planted and ready to throw the left ....
Vargas made the mistake of trying to trade left hands with one of the best left hook punchers in the game...De la hoya timed vargas's shot (which appears on film as a slight forward lunge and minimal arm extension) and put him down. Vargas threw a lazy jab with his head up...weight planted on his front foot with no way to roll out of the shot.

chuck threw a left hook and rampage countered it with a right, if youre good then yeah

I'd advise against doing it as a way to come in. Better is to launch it from closer range when you've already evaded or blocked his attack.

I am a big fan of throwing an overhand hook with my left hand as a way to come in. Overhand left to straight cross to the body is a really nice and kind of unorthodox combo that has worked well for me. But I spent many an hour throwing about a million leading overhand hooks :p

What is a overhand hook?

i do it all the time... you gotta be fast though, if you aren't you'll most likely get caught easily when facing a good boxer

Back