Can you guys talk me into finally watching the godfather

alright so 20 minutes in

giphy.gif

does it get better......?

Dude just stop and put on some cape shit or something. You don't have the right mentality for this.

They are overrated at this point. When they were released, they were violent and poignant, but now, they have been outclassed by movies that built on their work. Departed is one example imo
{<jordan}

Yeah get some sleep. TWBB is widely considered to be a modern classic.
Absolutely. Widely By the movie industry that praises Acting and cinematography and does all the voting. They pumped its tires and inflated its reputation.

Voting by the people is another matter.

Its still a niche movie for a certain kind of person.

Godfather can be watched by almost anyone over the age of 18 and considered a terrific movie. Rare is the time I have heard anyone detract from that movie.

There will be blood has been out since the late 2000's and I have watched it twice. I understand everything about the movie and the character study. I just think it is utterly a snoozefest with great acting and visuals(I also didn;t care for the score). And strangely, I have asked hundreds of people over the last decade if they have seen it and what they thought of it and told them what I thought of it. Something like 10 people said they loved it, and at least 50 said they could not finish it because they fell asleep and the large bulk of people praised the acting but said its still a 5/10 movie due to lack of ability to keep interest.

The 10 people who said they loved it argue angrily about how good it is like you just called their mother a whore, all 10 who defend that movie to the death are arts or film students in some capacity and all of them recycle the same arguments "but but, the cinematography, the acting, the editing, the score, its utterly perfect!!!!!". When you talk about the boring shitty plot, they say "you just didn't get it, go back to watching fast and furious" like you somehow didn't understand anything going on in the movie and only like action packed movies. When you discuss eloquently every aspect of the movie and it slowly dawns on them that you did understand everything but found it boring as shit and say at best it is 5 out of 10, they just angrily end the conversation completely bent out of shape. Its comical every single time it happens

I like the godfather because pacino wasn't ridiculous with his acting yet none of the exaggerated gestures maybe possibly also serpico.

Absolutely. Widely By the movie industry that praises Acting and cinematography and does all the voting. They pumped its tires and inflated its reputation.

Voting by the people is another matter.

Its still a niche movie for a certain kind of person.

Godfather can be watched by almost anyone over the age of 18 and considered a terrific movie. Rare is the time I have heard anyone detract from that movie.

There will be blood has been out since the late 2000's and I have watched it twice. I understand everything about the movie and the character study. I just think it is utterly a snoozefest with great acting and visuals(I also didn;t care for the score). And strangely, I have asked hundreds of people over the last decade if they have seen it and what they thought of it and told them what I thought of it. Something like 10 people said they loved it, and at least 50 said they could not finish it because they fell asleep and the large bulk of people praised the acting but said its still a 5/10 movie due to lack of ability to keep interest.

The 10 people who said they loved it argue angrily about how good it is like you just called their mother a whore, all 10 who defend that movie to the death are arts or film students in some capacity and all of them recycle the same arguments "but but, the cinematography, the acting, the editing, the score, its utterly perfect!!!!!". When you talk about the boring shitty plot, they say "you just didn't get it, go back to watching fast and furious" like you somehow didn't understand anything going on in the movie and only like action packed movies. When you discuss eloquently every aspect of the movie and it slowly dawns on them that you did understand everything but found it boring as shit and say at best it is 5 out of 10, they just angrily end the conversation completely bent out of shape. Its comical every single time it happens

It's not meant to be a plot driven movie as much as a character and relationship study but what plot is there is interesting. I enjoy the deliberate pacing and authentic feel it conveys very much.

Hey guys I'm here to eat my crow for those of you that still give a darn about this saga

Finished the movie. It was amazing.

I can appreciate how it holds up this many years later. Definitely going to give 2 a watch as well.

Last edited:
Hey guys I'm here to eat my crow for those of you that still give a darn about this saga

Wouldnt make my PERSONAL top 10, 20, or even 30 movies. But still really good and I can appreciate how it holds up this many years later. Definitely going to give 2 a watch as well.

One of the few, where I Personally like 2nd more than the 1st. Based on a few things.
tumblr_p4i1xtPous1w5xhsuo3_250.gifv

Last edited:
Part 2 has more going on but I feel part 1 is just a little more polished and well paced.

I do think the Michael/Fredo story in part 2 has the most substance of anything in the films and both of them give great performances, Michael V. Gazzo is superb in that film as well and actually an improvement on Castellano in the original IMHO. The Vito story though honestly never grabbed me, it does kind of work as a break between the Michael story but I don't think it ever really takes off, especially obvious post Once Upon A Time In America(the actual best gangster film ever for me) as well were the same kind of device works so much better.

The original does have a bit of depth to it but really its mostly a cool very well made gangster film ala Goodfellas, I do love it but I do also think its moreso that it has some really classic scenes people always remember, the opening, the hospital, Michael killing Sollonzo and the assassinations at the end.

I actually think beyond Apoc Now the Coppola film I'd recommend most to Sherdog is Rumble Fish, that's about as fun/cool as an arty film can be IMHO, more inline with Tarantino(actually one of the "movies" Clarence lists in True Romance)

Last edited:

I can appreciate how it holds up this many years later. Definitely going to give 2 a watch as well.

That's great you watched it. And I'm happy you enjoyed it. It's really one of the classic films.

So who do you think gave a better performance Brando or Pacino?

As a hugeeeeeeee movie aficionado I know its kind of ridiculous I still have yet to see this, but I dont know. Just from picking up a tiny amount of details here and there I have this feeling, really based on nothing tbh, that its gonna be dated and boring.

I do love gangster movies though and consider myself a gangster, so am I missing out on not watching it? If I liked Scarface will I definitely like TG?
No one should have to convince you to watch the Godfather films though.

Watch part 3 before you watch parts 1 & 2 if you don't want to despise 3 as much as most people do.

No. You most likely won’t dig it if you have to be talked into watching it.

Back