Can you guys talk me into finally watching the godfather

If you read the more extensive, detailed media first, you know everything. This makes the movie less interesting because you know every plot point. If you do the movie first then you have more of an incentive to read the books and see what you missed.

Also anytime there is a movie or television show based off of books, there is a significant portion of book snobs saying the book is better and criticizing how the movie portrayed certain aspects or left things out. I've never seen the reverse. Never seen people who watched the movie first criticizing the book. Movie then book seems to be the most enjoyable order.

Godfather is so close to the book what they left out is in G2 mostly, so it doesnt ruin the film it mostly adds context to some subtleties most wont get if they didnt grow up around italians or sicilians. Coppola did an excellent job honoring the film by keeping it close to the book.

It's one of the oldest good movies. What can I say.

I hate old movies in general but this one is good if you can make it past the endless wedding. Kind of like the Deer Hunter.
{<huh}
1972?? alrighty then.

Patton is a great old movie and so are all the Connery James Bonds!

If you read the more extensive, detailed media first, you know everything. This makes the movie less interesting because you know every plot point. If you do the movie first then you have more of an incentive to read the books and see what you missed.

Also anytime there is a movie or television show based off of books, there is a significant portion of book snobs saying the book is better and criticizing how the movie portrayed certain aspects or left things out. I've never seen the reverse. Never seen people who watched the movie first criticizing the book. Movie then book seems to be the most enjoyable order.
I guess it's a chicken-or-the-egg kinda thing. I enjoy reading first. An example from Godfather:

In the beginning, you see Luca practicing how he will congratulate the don as he gives his wedding gift. It looks, at the time anyway, like he's scared or nervous and he's practicing so as not to piss the don off. Since I had read the book, I knew this was not the case at all. It was very important that he not only give the most money, but also that he showed the most respect. Luca feared nothing, except that he would disappoint Don Corleone. He didn't fear death, unless it came from his don. Not because he had angered him, but because he had let him down.

Again, I see your point. I just disagree.

I saw it when I was 11. Didn’t care for it

Just watch it it's long as f though.
Godfather 2 is way better

I guess it's a chicken-or-the-egg kinda thing. I enjoy reading first. An example from Godfather:

In the beginning, you see Luca practicing how he will congratulate the don as he gives his wedding gift. It looks, at the time anyway, like he's scared or nervous and he's practicing so as not to piss the don off. Since I had read the book, I knew this was not the case at all. It was very important that he not only give the most money, but also that he showed the most respect. Luca feared nothing, except that he would disappoint Don Corleone. He didn't fear death, unless it came from his don. Not because he had angered him, but because he had let him down.

He has a point though.

Historically I've preferred (or just end up) reading first then watching the movie but lately I am trying to do opposite. I found myself enjoying the movie way more if I watch the movie first then read the book and then find all the differences. The book will never be a let down if the movie is good/enjoyable. i have though enjoyed the book and then be disappointed with the movie a bit because i knew everything that was going to happen.

edit: One example is The Martian (starring Matt Damon). I read the book first then saw the movie in the theater. I enjoyed the book a lot but found the movie kinda boring because I knew every everything that was going to happen. Had I seen the movie first I would have enjoyed it a lot more then enjoyed the book. There were oogles of scientific details in the book missing from the movie that would have made it worth it.

just my take on this...

Last edited:
Lol @ even THINKING about comparing Scarface to one of the best films ever made, The Godfather.

I'd much sooner try to convince you to bang one of the multiple trannies at your job (which honestly we all know doesn't need much effort) than to ever try and relate why The Godfather is required viewing. Lol @ you being an aficionado of anything but shitty threads.

<13>
<escalate99>

Is the power cord plugged in?

schemer.jpg

Scarface is a lot more violent and over the top than The Godfather.

The first Godfather is pure poetry. A practically flawless movie. It's slow paced, but has some brilliant scenes of suspense and violence. The slow build makes these scenes all the more powerful, especially in the hands of FFC. If you are a fan of slow paced movies like There Will Be Blood or, to a lesser extent, The Irishman, you'll probably really enjoy it.

The key in watching The Godfather is to remember that Michael (Pacino's character) does not want to be a part of any of it. The mafia lifestyle, being a "Godfather" etc... what makes the movie so fascinating, and the ending so haunting, is watching how he is pulled into it invariably by forces beyond his control.
Do not ever compare "there will be bloody with godfather again. Godfather is a masterpiece. There will be blood was a clinic on cinematography and great acting , but has no real story or direction and is shitty and a snoozefest. Night and day different movies.

Do not ever compare "there will be bloody with godfather again. Godfather is a masterpiece. There will be blood was a clinic on cinematography and great acting , but has no real story or direction and is shitty and a snoozefest. Night and day different movies.

Shows how limited your frame of reference is. Quite different movies, yes, and you've missed the point spectacularly.

This is why i wish the movie included a flashback of how the don owned him.

don corleone finds luca in jail after a failed suicide attempt after throwing a baby, his own baby in a furnace. Tells him he is free and works for him now basically. Luca understood this. A man gave him life. A man who would die in a fight against Luca, bought his ultimate freedom, under the premise HE will have it taken on his whim should he displease him, but should he not, he is born again. Essentially its a euphemism for the don being a god to Luca and allowing his life to matter again to someone. It was his gift.

The 7 hour The Godfather Epic is the only way to watch this. You're doing yourself a disservice otherwise.

Great Classic films would should or could never be considered dated nor boring. If you watch or have seen The Godfather and you feel like it is either dated or boring then all I can say is...
giphy.gif

haha I grew up with this Russian kid who thought he was black, & in high school, the football team had enough of him, stuffed him into a locker & peed into it all over him one by one haha

Back