Can we really say that DC was ever the legit LHW champion?

DC was the definition of what an interim champ actually should be. A champion that holds and defends the belt while the actual champ can't for reasons outside the sport or injury. Not an interim champ just to make a title fight for a PPV.

Jones was the champ before DC and he's the champ after DC, and he beat him twice. So no DC was never the legit champ. Technically he was the LHW champ, but legit is more an opinion and that is my.

Beyond PED issues DC did beat Rumble twice were as Jones avoided facing him.

He never beat the champ, no. But the champ couldn't control himself either.
Same situation happens time to time and no one else questions it because there isn't the beef between them like jones and DC.

Not for me. He was living and will always live in Jones' shadow unfortunately. And that's coming from a huge DC fan.

Got his ass whooped twice.

DC's acquisition of the title is not glorious but he carried himself as a proper champ for the most part and defended as such. Jones is a killer yes, a cheater also and the furthest from true champion.

I think DC is a more legitimate champion than Jones ever was. He won a double championship without steroids, Jon had to inject steroids to win a single one.

Can we really say that JJ was ever the legit lhw champion? People that test positive were using it for a very long time before getting busted, that's a quote from Anderson Silva btw.

I don't think we can

He got busted by USADA multiple times, the real, undefeated reigning champion. JJ couldn't unanimously beat a drug test without getting busted, let that sink in.

If we are being honest here, everyone knew that JJ was just juicing his whole career, I don't think there's much of an argument to be made against that here.

I'm fine with calling him the asterisk LHW champion at some point, but the asterisk free LHW belt has never truly belonged to Jon Jones
We have a new Sherdog HWGP Champion.
Nobuhiko Takada: (Translated) Ahem,so we of the Sherdog judging commitee of wicked sick pwns,present you with this trophy,this GP championship belt,and this giant ass check for 10,751.75 Japanese Yen. Dont be spendin all that in one place.

Part of being the champion is handling the pressure,and not getting stripped of it twice for cheating,and going to jail all the time.

Yes, because you cannot control what others do.

Jones is better than DC but I am not taking into account the PEDs with Jones. I still feel Jones would be beat DC without the PEDs but he did use them. And we cannot deny it was a factor how much I cannot say.

DC beat everyone he needed to beat to win the LHW title. It is not his fault Jones cheated and got suspended. You can only fight and defeat who stands in front of you.

It would have been great for DC to win the LHW title from Jones but unfortunately he couldn't take it from Jones. But he did take it against the best possible opponent he had in front of him at the time.

Well your argument was based on beating the man... Nobody beat Frank Shamrock, who was the man. Tito Ortiz had an opportunity to gain that championship but he lost, then he gained a new championship belt when Frank retired.

Jones' lineal belt revolves entirely around not beating the man, which makes your argument flawed from the word go. You don't get to talk about lineal belts and then completely ignore where the belts came from.

Didn't frank leave the ufc? my point was, in the modern era...you can't compare frank to jones....frank is very old school...he'd get murdered by any modern day fighter.

He defended the belt against elite guys in Gus,AJ and Volkan.

That's so much more than other champs

I don't think we can

He got beat by Jon Jones, 2X, the real, undefeated reigning champion. DC couldn't unanimously win a single round in the mind of the judges, let that sink in.

If we are being honest here, everyone knew that DC was just keeping the belt warm for Jones, I don't think there's much of an argument to be made against that here.

I'm fine with calling him the HW champion at some point, but the LHW belt has always truly belonged to Jon Jones
Was he the champion? Nothing else you say is relevant

I don't think we can

He got beat by Jon Jones, 2X, the real, undefeated reigning champion. DC couldn't unanimously win a single round in the mind of the judges, let that sink in.

If we are being honest here, everyone knew that DC was just keeping the belt warm for Jones, I don't think there's much of an argument to be made against that here.

I'm fine with calling him the HW champion at some point, but the LHW belt has always truly belonged to Jon Jones

Teams have won Superbowls or World Series because of a bad referee's decision, or because of an injury to their opponent's key player. Does that make those Superbowls/World Series illegitimate? I'd say that's part of sport. If a defending champ can't make it to a championship game, or to the Olympic finals that's part of the game. Whoever wins out of who is there on that day becomes the new champ.

Jones couldn't make it to the title fight because of his own actions -- he took himself out. That makes whoever won the championship fight the next champion -- that's simply the way sport works. You don't postpone the Superbowl or Olympics or World Series because some players can't make it. You continue and crown a new champ, and that champ is legit.

Nope. He never beat the champion to get the belt. He convincingly lost to him twice. He's a beast of a number 1 contender though

He has the accomplishment of being a double champ. Amazing indeed. But the best guy was sitting on the sidelines. So that is a tough one..

Can we ever say Jones was the legit LHW champion?
giphy.gif

Back