Can pain = pleasure? (MMA,S&C)

Reloaded

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
UPDATE Sept 23/08: Measured training update

Currently I'm taking a break from martial arts, for financial and time reasons. I hope to start up again towards the end of the summer. All I will be focusing on is strength and conditioning training for at least the next month.

Stats:
5'11"
170 lbs (August 2/08), 162 lbs (May 5/08)

Current status:
I have been out of regular training for almost 2 months, life got in the way of achieving any type of regular routine. Still going to try and set times when I can to see where I'm at and where I can improve.

Measured training sessions:

• 100 burpee challenge - 16:54 min (Sep 11/08), previous 19:34 min (Aug 14/08)
  • 4x500 m rowing w/ 90 sec breaks - 8:09 min (10 resistance, August 4/08)
  • 10 min maxes, push-ups 111 (Aug 9/08), full squats 192 (Sep 23/08), roman crunches 100 (Sep 23/08)
  • wide-grip pull-ups, max con't - 6 (Sept 2/08)
  • 45 min rowing total meters - 9588 (Sep 3/08)
  • Barbell lifts:
  • Deadlift - 195 lbs
  • Squats - 185 lbs (Sep 29/08)

Goals:
  • S&C training minimum 5 days a week for 30 minutes minimum for the month of August
  • No more then 2 days of consecutive rest
  • Alternate explosive and endurance strength training weekly

Keeping the goals brief and typically light to allow my body a chance to get back into a regular exercise routine.

Diet & Rest:
  • Consume 2500 calories daily (starting number for weight gain)
  • Creatine daily (5 mg), Protein (whey) or Vega after main workouts
  • Take multi, complete B vitamins, fish oil and psyillium supplements daily
  • 2L of water daily
  • 8 hrs of rest

Still going to keep these D&R goals. With my move I should transition more into a raw diet of 60/40 split but I'm not adding it as a hard rule as of yet.

Heart-rate (HR) info:
  • OwnIndex: 41 (Sept 2/08 & July 31/08)
  • HRsit: 60 (Sep 20/08), previous 58 (June 11/08)
  • HRmax: 190 (August 3/08), previous 171 (June 16/08), 157 (June 13/08)

Karvonen zones (as of Sep 20/08)

• 60 bpm resting HR
  • 60% - 138 bpm
  • 70% - 151 bpm
  • 80% - 164 bpm
  • 90% - 177 bpm

Switching over to more interval training and using the Karvonen Formula instead of the default Polar heart rate zones. Going to use the above zones through October and re-assess and make new ones in November.

Comments, suggestions and insults are always welcome.

Aft:

45 min interval running on treadmill, 5/5 min. warm/cool
chin-up assist (90/50/90 lbs), ab. straight leg raises and 30 lbs. jump/reg. squats finishers

Even:

10 min. mixed iso's (overhead press, wall press, glut. press, hooks)

Working a bit more cardio. this week... I have a chance to teach a spin class this June so I need to raise it as fast as I can.

yikes.jpg

See, I don't lie...

Morn:

100 double-ab crunches

Need to work on these a lot more, I spasm in my upp. abs fast doing these.

Even:

BJJ - 1 hr.

Did drills all class, mount/side escapes, passing guard... Jorge kept us going at a fast speed, it was insane. Rolled once at the end and the guy managed to flip me from his guard heels over head onto my back, he was good. Was dead at the end, I thought I was gonna puke. Great class.

May 23

Rest day - busy with gf all day, got my place cleaned up quite a bit to prepare for my diet changes.

Gonna have a busy day tomorrow with a training seminar and UFC at night, will try and sneak something in though.

nice loggin' !

Thanks man, this helps keep me honest...

Even:

Explosive strength - 30 secs work/15 secs rest
Set 1: 3 lbs punch-outs/ankle hops
Set 2: 3 lbs shoulder press (all arms)/split lunges

16 min.

Cool down 5 min. elliptical

All I can sneak in today, pressed for time...

May 25/08

Rest day... second day of workshop and busy night = no training

May 26/08

Morn:

45 min spin class / 15 min core-work

Nice hard workout, looking forward to maybe teaching soon.

Even:

~ 15 min. brisk swimming.

May 27/08

Aft:

1 hr. BJJ - attacking the turtle, 20 min. rolling.

I was dead, died in the ab. work-out and died in rolling. Need to work on my diet and rest as I can feel it catching up.

May 28/08

Having an off-day, light training only.

Even:

3 min. snatch challenge - 40 lbs. double db. snatch x 34 reps = 1360 lbs. total snatched.

Numbers went down, might be a sign I need to rest up more... no more exercise tonight.

May 29/08

Rest day...

Had a massage and nice sleep... feel a lot better. I'm going to do a 2 days on, 1 day off schedule to see how it works out.

May 31 - June 1/08

Sick... my shitty habits caught up with me and I crashed over the weekend. Gonna get back into it slowly tonight.

June 2/08

Even:

5x 2 min. rounds shadowboxing... felt good, hopefully I can make it to BJJ tomorrow morning.

D: no
R: no

June 3/08

Morn: 1 hr BJJ - scissor sweep, double ankle pick sweep, 20 min. roll ... felt good to be back in class, proud of myself making it to an 8 am class. Only had 5 hrs of sleep though.

Even: ~ 5+ min. upper body iso's

D: yes

June 4/08

Aft:
Max. strength (~30 min)
  • 40 lbs. clean & press (from floor) - 4,4,3,2
    ass. one-leg squats - 10 x4 (poor form)
  • bw. pull-ups - 2,3 x3
    50 lbs. (same side) Bulgarian squats - 4,5 x2,6 (poor form, need to keep trunk vertical and legs further apart)
  • green band high pulls - 4,5,7,10
    ass. glut-ham raises - 2 x3,4 (poor form)

very rusty max. strength set... need to work on my form.

Missed out on core, gonna do it tomorrow.

R: no (1:30 am, 10 hours)

June 5 - June 10/08

Out of town - very light training (walking/swimming)

June 11/08

Set-up my new Polar F11 HRM... gonna take it for a test spin probably tomorrow since today I'd like to do BJJ and can't roll with it on.

UPDATE: No BJJ, ran out of time... I'll do double duty tomorrow to get back in the swing of things.

Back