Can pain = pleasure? (MMA,S&C)

June 12/08

No training... needed to help the gf so ran out of time.

D: no
R: no

June 13/08

Even: 1hr shadowboxing, 2 min rounds, 1 min rest

First time using my Polar F11 HRM... OwnZone calculated my mod. intensity HR to be between 133-155, and they wanted me to maintain that zone for 50 minutes. I crapped out at 1hr having spent ~ 40 min in the mod. zone. Gonna have to go crazy to blast past the hard zone! My HRmax was 157 with the ave. at 147.

June 14/08

Rest day... can't seem to get my ass in gear to go to BJJ, I'll have to re-group to start again next week.

R: no (close, 1:30 am)

All you are doing is logging rest days. Get moving man.

I know, need to pull up my socks...

June 15/08

Morn: 1hr yoga - ashtanga

Rough on the shoulders and hips, surprisingly really tight in my throat. Need to get out to do more yoga on top of everything else.

HRmax: 139, avg. %57

R: no (1 am)

June 16/08

Aft:
100 burpee challenge
completed: 19 min 15 secs

that's about 5 mins over my personal best from last year, a lot of room to improve upon.

my HRM did a good job picking up this intensity. I used the OwnZone for hard intensity and it calculated that zone at 151-166. I peaked HRmax with a 10 burpee finale 171 and averaged 144. I seemed to catch my breath at around 155. Will be interesting to see how my HR improves with my timing.

house-calls, no ab session...

R: no (~ 2 am)

June 17/08

Even:
~ 10 min. ab torture (aka my gf using me as a punching bag)

My legs, no lie, burning like *ucking Rome under Nero... I shot them up with the burpees. I couldn't fit in a stardard workout so I thought why not let my gf beat me up a bit. At first I couldn't stop laughing, which in turn made her angry and she hit harder... by 10 min she was going at a good clip and I wasn't laughing anymore.

June 18/07

Rest day... still really sore, need to reset and finish out the week strong.

D: -

I'd replace Flax with Fish Oil(assuming you dont take any anticoagulation meds) and I would take Beta-Alanine supplement.

You need a lot more conditioning. Start implementing ross's workouts. Check Finnegans log.....he had almost daily conditioning workouts with various aspects...

good luck

also i'd throw in at least 1 heavy workout a week where you lift real weight...squats or deadlifts, overhead presses, weighted chin ups, goodmornings, etc...

I'm so tight lately it must be my diet and rest catching up with me... I want to feel better with this low work level before I throw in some really heavy lifting.

I've been reading a lot on EFAs and I think I need to put fish oil in for sure.

I might have to throw in more low level cardio before I tackle Ross' stuff... just need to get over this soreness and fatigue.

July 07/08

Even: ~ 1 hr inline skating.

Getting back into working out, having a rough time so I'm easing into.
HR: ave. 132, max 152

July 28/08

Even:
  • 5 min warm-up, cool-down rowing
  • Light strength routine: lat pull-down x2, arm extensions, hamstring curls, clean & press x2 with light weights from 25 - 80 lbs.
~30 min total
HR max: 161, ave. 122

Nice and easy, going to do swimming tomorrow.

R: yes

July 29/08

Morn:
5 min of bicycles (chinnies)

Aft:
30 min of swimming

My HRM didn't work in the pool, so no HR stats.

D: yes

July 30/08

Even:
Core, ~ 5 min kneeling ab-wheel roll-outs

These hammer my abs hard, going to try and slow build to standing roll-outs again.

I've been feeling really good, I think the fish oil I'm taking is bring together a lot of elements for me... need to update my diet.

July 31/08

Aft:
Max. strength
  • ~ 5 min warm/cool rowing
  • Set 1 - lat. pull-downs (80x4, max 7 @ end), leg press (150x2, 170, 190)
  • Set 2 - clean & press (40x3, less than 5 @ end), Bulgarian squats (50/50x1, 40/40x2, 5 reps)
~ 30 mins

HR: max 162, ave. 137

August 1/08

Aft:
Cardio - jog

• 9 flights of stairs warm/cool down
  • 30 min jog/walk through mod. HR range

HR: max 165, ave. 140

I'm on-point to finish off my planned HR zones by this Sunday. It got messed up when my HR monitor didn't work in my pool so I'm off an hour when really it should be 30 minutes. I'll have to tack on my cardio off my strength routine this Sunday.

D: -
R: no (over-slept)

August 2/08

Rest

August 3/08

Morn:
Explo. strength
  • ~ 10 min warm/cool rowing
  • Set 1 - plyo. push-ups (w/ clap) 10x2,8,7; knee tucks 10x4
  • Set 2 - 5 lbs. punch-outs 10x4; split lunges 10x4

Starting set 2 felt like I was gonna puke, didn't think I was pushing myself that hard but my body was telling me otherwise, lol. Overall a good week, now to continue it through. I think I'm going to rotate explo. strength with endurance strength training weekly.

HR: max 190(!), ave. 127

August 4/08

Morn:
Cardio:
  • ~ 30 min rowing
  • ~ 5 min biking
  • 9 flights stair-climb to finish
  • ~ 45 min total time

Did the August C2 challenge, completed it in 8:09 min on 10 resistance. Maybe try it again near the end of the month, shot my load a little too early.

Aug 5/08

Rest

Aug 6/08

Morn:
Max. strength -

Set 1 - lat pull-downs, 90 lbs (8x2,7x2); leg press, 190 lbs (10x4)
Set 2 - Arnold press, 20/20 lbs (10x4, hard); calf raises, 50/50 lbs (10x4, hard)
Misc: some partner push-ups w/ my bro, butterfly guard push.

Core: Roman crunches, V-Russian twists w/ 25 lbs, bw. supermans x3

~ 40 mins total

HR: max 149, ave. 124

I was surprised how low my HR was during this session, I dunno if the HRM registered too high of a margin for my mod. HR or if I'm just that good, lol. Gonna ramp up the lbs to do under 5 reps next max. strength session.

Aug 7/08

Morn:
Cardio -
  • ~20 min swimming
  • ~10 min shadowboxing in pool

Swimming consecutive laps is hard, damn. Manual HR checks showed I got my HR peaking into the early 130's which is a good sign.

Aug 8/08

Rest

Back