Can Opener: Defense

BlackBeltNow said:
DOUBLE armbar. its very probable counter vs a neck crank, and it embarasses the guy, who probably deserves it.

just use both hands and shove his face. when theres enough distance throw both feet over his shoulders and arch slowly b/c the tap is more difficult to see since you have both arms trapped.

so the pressure on the arms should be applied by the inside of your legs as in your inner thighs being the fulcrum and your lower legs outside and over the shoulders (arms ending up hugged by legs)

I hat neck crankers...sorry to sound like a newbie but this is the one where someones in your guard , they become frustrated and pulls on your head up hard with bothe arms???

At a Bas seminar, he used the can opener as an escape from the guard. He would instruct us to crank the neck which opened the guard, and give the guy your arm... when guy goes for armbar (which you are ready for), go to side mount.

Shioda said:
At a Bas seminar, he used the can opener as an escape from the guard. He would instruct us to crank the neck which opened the guard, and give the guy your arm... when guy goes for armbar (which you are ready for), go to side mount.

neck cranks aren't wrong; just dont' use them as a submission. its just like shoving ur elbow in someone's thigh; u do it to get them to react the way you want.

BlackBeltNow said:
neck cranks aren't wrong; just dont' use them as a submission. its just like shoving ur elbow in someone's thigh; u do it to get them to react the way you want.

why the dubbs?

bringing this thread back from the dead.

so last night, everyone pairs up to roll... i took a leak so when i got back there was only 1 guy without a partner. big burly guy, may be 210, wearing a t-shirt and shorts that said "____ high school wrestling". (he looked at least 25 though). oh and its bjj w/ gi. for some reason he decided to come to the gi class without a gi.

anyways we pair up, he immediately throws me down from our knees after we shake hands. he has his hands in my face, fingers in my mouth, my eyes, puts his forearm in my face and rubs his elbow in my face to get out of my half guard.

i try to sweep him from mount and he transitions to the most aggressive armbar. kicks me in the head while hes at it and just about rips my arm off. when we reset, i mention "wow, you're pretty aggressive..." and he just smiles at me.

anyways, this time i end up in his guard and he would NOT STOP DOING THE CAN OPENER on me. he must have done it like 3 or 4 times. it wasnt so bad at the time, but my neck is sore as shit right now. not to mention i have a scrape on my face and lots of bruises everywhere. it looks like i was in a cement mixer with a bunch of rocks. and i havent bruised in a while.

also, later on in our roll, i had a guillotine (arm in) on him and he stops struggling for a bit, goes limp i say "hey, hey are you ok?" he doesnt respond. i didnt think i had it, so it was weird he went limp. i let go of the guillotine and he pops his head out and starts going at it again.

wtf.

open your guard, and sit up

armbar, all day. He's giving it to you. There's a reason you don't see that done at higher levels, because it takes almost nothing to armbar him. As far as just releasing the pressure you can just open your guard, but please, armbar him.

bringing this thread back from the dead.

so last night, everyone pairs up to roll... i took a leak so when i got back there was only 1 guy without a partner. big burly guy, may be 210, wearing a t-shirt and shorts that said "____ high school wrestling". (he looked at least 25 though). oh and its bjj w/ gi. for some reason he decided to come to the gi class without a gi.

anyways we pair up, he immediately throws me down from our knees after we shake hands. he has his hands in my face, fingers in my mouth, my eyes, puts his forearm in my face and rubs his elbow in my face to get out of my half guard.

i try to sweep him from mount and he transitions to the most aggressive armbar. kicks me in the head while hes at it and just about rips my arm off. when we reset, i mention "wow, you're pretty aggressive..." and he just smiles at me.

anyways, this time i end up in his guard and he would NOT STOP DOING THE CAN OPENER on me. he must have done it like 3 or 4 times. it wasnt so bad at the time, but my neck is sore as shit right now. not to mention i have a scrape on my face and lots of bruises everywhere. it looks like i was in a cement mixer with a bunch of rocks. and i havent bruised in a while.

also, later on in our roll, i had a guillotine (arm in) on him and he stops struggling for a bit, goes limp i say "hey, hey are you ok?" he doesnt respond. i didnt think i had it, so it was weird he went limp. i let go of the guillotine and he pops his head out and starts going at it again.

wtf.

You must break this man.

I love tha can opener (wrestling's scurge upon BJJ). IF I apply it, I just pull a little bit so me and my partner both know it's on and look for a tap. If they don't tap I let it go and try something else.

As a wrestler I'm used to it and some of the guys in my Catch class slap it on and want to break your neck.

I like to use it just to break the guard.

In a competition I would try and break your neck though.

In a competition I would try and break your neck though.

Because a competition for a plastic trophy is MUCH more important than another person NOT being a quadrapalegic right? You may want to edit that, because it makes you look like the biggest prick this side of Mike Kyle I have ever heard of.

it your in bottom guard open it up and turn to a side it takes the pressure off and out of their you can either close your guard back up or get a knee across and pull i scissor sweep

i was in the other guys guard. i was working on passing, he should be working on a sub or a sweep. instead, hes chilling on his back, locking up his guard and cranking on my neck. so i slapped his hands hands away, he throws it right back on. i mean, theres better ways to break my posture.

my problem with it was that it was just a dick move. i mean, if you're in guard, and you're using the can opener to try to pass, ok at least theres a reason. i was in HIS guard and he was pulling on my neck. im not going to effing tap from it. its just annoying and inconsiderate. plus my neck hurts like mother today still.

Because a competition for a plastic trophy is MUCH more important than another person NOT being a quadrapalegic right? You may want to edit that, because it makes you look like the biggest prick this side of Mike Kyle I have ever heard of.

I would not seriously try and break someones neck. I would definatley try and hurt someone in competiotion badly if they didn't tap though. I have no problem with that at all.
Dislocate a shoulder, pop an elbow, hyper extend a kneee...no problem.

If people are in a competition and want to be a non tapping hero that's my opponents fault. Not mine.

The Gracies are famous for not tapping and then getting severely fucked up because of it.

I don't throw stuff on super hard. But if my opponent doesn't tap then I up the pressure a little.

By the way, I don't think you can break a neck with the can opener. But I know about 12 neck cranks you can.:icon_twis

I dont know how to defend it man, got caught in one during a tournament myself. It was not allowed but the ref didnt say anything for like 15 seconds while he just cranked on it. I didnt tap but the ref said something to him about it. I should have tapped and then been like "he used an illegal move on me and hurt my neck" and woulda won haha. Thats a cheap way to win tho.

Well if it was good enough for Pe De Pano....

I'm telling you, i've had this put on me by some HUGE guys, some of them wrestlers. If you just open your guard and turn on 1 hip you're fine, pressure is almost gone.

And as far as offense from your position, like i said (and everyone else)...armbar! Even if he escapes it he doesn't have the stupid canopener again.

Just think, there's a reason you don't see canopeners anymore at ADCC, if it worked, they would do it. I know one wrestler did it years ago, but it's been awhile. It's a new guy move, or a bully move, show them why it doesn't work....

You can also jam your hands into the guys neck, underside of the jaw and straight arm that mofo.

Back