Can Opener: Defense

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Bubble Boy, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Bubble Boy

Bubble Boy Black Belt

Got caught with a can opener from hell the other night. As a Judo guy it's something I rarely have to deal with (not allowed in Judo). A visting submission wrestler (training for a cage fight) slapped an evil crank on me during rolling and I tapped like little bunny in Bambi's forest, and I'm still feeling the damage today. What's the undeniable best defense (or preferably counter) to a can opener? I don't want to feel this way ever again. You guys have helped me out before, now give me something good blokes...

2. CoutureFan16

CoutureFan16 Purple Belt

I dont know how to defend it man, got caught in one during a tournament myself. It was not allowed but the ref didnt say anything for like 15 seconds while he just cranked on it. I didnt tap but the ref said something to him about it. I should have tapped and then been like "he used an illegal move on me and hurt my neck" and woulda won haha. Thats a cheap way to win tho.

3. Sauron

Sauron Red Belt

pummel inside and push his face away

4. The Sickness

The Sickness Ichizoku

Ridin' shotgun with Alexander Karelin in Fedor's b
    Get your arms inside and force his forearms to the floor. Or, open the guard and break the grip...

5. Resendiz

Resendiz Just glad to be able to train again.

armbar, im serious its so easy to do, i dont know if you need some fleibility cause im naturally felxible, but its the easyest way to get out. look at the Nog Vs Coleman fight. Its THAT easy. Either he gets caught or lets go.

6. Te(V)plar

Te(V)plar Black Belt

What kind of fucking douchebag does this in training?

7. Terrier

Terrier Brown Belt

Open your guard and move your hips away from him - Can openers are easy enough to defend that way 9/10 times

I don't think can openers should be cranked on really fast in training but they should be done - this thread is proof of that - it's a pretty easy move to defend, yet because it's not done so much people arn't so aware of how to escape it.

8. messk

messk White Belt

I was also caugh in a can opener last night in training. The guy (he is much heavier and stronger than me) slaped it so fast I couldn't do anything. Luckly, he let go even before I tapped, so no real damage. I do feel sore in my neck today :(
    As for escape, I usually put my arms inside and push his face away. Also you can open your guard as already suggested. But sometimes, it's so fast you can do nothing :(

9. ColtonS

ColtonS Banned Banned

No kiddin..

10. Exactly, this is the best escape/counter from the can opener. I tend to just let my opponent try it to sucker him into the armbar from the guard. Very sneaky move.

11. Half Boston Crab

Half Boston Crab Purple Belt

Exactly. It's the same way with the guillotine, cheap move, but you must know how to defend it or youll get caught.

You could open the guard and break the grip, but people often use the can opener just to open the guard, so be careful with that. If you can go for the armbar, that's the best thing.

12. Matt Thornton

Matt Thornton Amateur Fighter

Thank you, I'm glad someone said this. Open your guard, skip your hips out, and the pressure is off your neck. From there all you have to do is armbar.

If you're a Pride fan, you've probably seen the double armbar. If you can get his hands off your head, his arms are stretched out, so he's open for one of those too.

13. colinm

colinm Brown Belt

i just open my guard and pummel inside to get his grip off. he can't finish it if you open your guard and move your hips out a little.

14. NEwrestler

NEwrestler Red Belt

god,people are still using can openers?

15. Matt Thornton

Matt Thornton Amateur Fighter

Haha that's what I was thinking. It's one of those moves I only use to bait someone, or just to mess with them. Never something I actually hold onto and try to finish.

16. CoutureFan16

CoutureFan16 Purple Belt

Your calling the guillotine cheap? How? It is just like any other move, it may be easy to get but that doesnt make it cheap.

17. bretticious

bretticious Guest

i dont really see how the guillotine is cheap at all and it is way more effective

18. MUCKYFINGERS

MUCKYFINGERS Banned Banned

The other day I pulled off a guillotine/neck crank kind of thing and my sparring partner gave me the bird. I was helping him prepare for a pro fight...

19. MUCKYFINGERS

MUCKYFINGERS Banned Banned

If you can't manage to get your arm all the way under their neck, get your forearm snaked around their chin area and crank it to the side while cranking it back as well. It hurts and they'll tap.

20. BlackBeltNow

BlackBeltNow Red Belt, but BlackBeltLastYear

DOUBLE armbar. its very probable counter vs a neck crank, and it embarasses the guy, who probably deserves it.

just use both hands and shove his face. when theres enough distance throw both feet over his shoulders and arch slowly b/c the tap is more difficult to see since you have both arms trapped.