Can McGregor's brand grow to where he no longer needs the UFC?

20994180_2365458773678271_3456712908737796729_n.png
so who else is signed to this? Artem and Danis?
{<jordan}

He doesn't have the discipline or smarts and too full of himself to let smarter people do it for him
He doesn't have the discipline? He had some sort of orchestration in one of the biggest PPV selling fights in the history of boxing.

Conor definitely doesn't have the information to open and operate a company of this magnitude by his self but with help, absolutely.

Wether he's too full of himself to do so, maybe you're right. I don't know?

Like Dr. Phil grew bigger than Oprah or Steve without Jerry or Mayweather making his brand as big as possible without the constraints of another promotion?

Or is the UFC gonna do well without the cash cow?

I'll make my stand here. The brass lives without and of course that's plain to the eyes as the sky is.

But can McGregor go out there, compete for his own brand and start a promotion, that would ideally compete against the UFC, but handle the weight of that?

This is where I say maybe? The guy is a hard worker, is like a magnet of attraction and can hang with the best in his respective weight classes.

Dream big and think realistically with your opinions because it's truly not out of the realm for McGregor to do so and has done so.

nope cause see he had to return to fight. if he though he was big enough he would of stayed hiding under his bed.,

Maybe once he gets out of his contract but i doubt it. Lot of MMA fans are short sighted , hell be forgotten about eventually.

if conor thinks bellator would pay more he nuts cause there no ppv to make the bulk of his money.

He doesn't have the discipline or smarts and too full of himself to let smarter people do it for him
Yea, he might really fuck up and sign long term exclusive deals with reebok and put meaningless wmma fights no one gives a shit about on main card PPV's. That would be awful...

mcGOAT already has a promotion and co-promoted the biggest fight of all time

UFC hasn't done over a million ppv buys since 2016

mcGOAT already bigger

and had to come crawling back to the ufc begging for a fight.

I think the only way this happens is if he boxes exclusively and I don't see that happening for a variety of reasons.
Except that he'd lose in boxing and fade. If he fights the best in MMA consistently, he'll falter like most fighters. The way he could become big enough to no longer need them is to use the fame to do something else and bail on fighting altogether.
The reality is they made him for better and worse.

A guy who talks that much shit and has to fight whoever like most fighters do can't get by with that level of bravado on his own. He pieced together others' gimmicks to make the character, and they promoted him and gave special treatment to help along the way.

The difference between MMA and boxing, is that boxers don't generally have exclusive contracts with promotions. Whereas UFC fighters have exclusive UFC deals and can't fight in another promotion. I can't really see Conor starting his own promotion and trying to compete with the UFC for fighters... it could maybe work as a one-off fight with someone but not as a consistent promotion.

That's like saying could LeBron's brand as a basketball player grow if he left the NBA. Well no... because all the other best players are in the NBA and he needs them to compete against.

Lebron's brand would definitely grow at this point if he left the NBA and focused on his businesses and brands full time. That's part of the reason he moved to LA.

Your point is accurate about pretty much everyone else, but Lebron is a special case.

It's round 4, and As Kebab drags the Irish mans corpse to his corner he whispers "this is my swamp". The expression on McNuggets face is pure horror as he realizes his manlihood was retired in the first round...what is he even fighting for? It dawns on him that his career and legacy will die in the octagon to night, this is his last fight. He makes eye contact with Artem, his best friend, and a single tear is rolling down his face. Connor screams "NOT LIKE THIS" as the Russian man-bear unleashes his fists onto the helpless rag doll, a corner man yells "STOP THE FIGHT DAMNIT" and tries to jump the fence. Kebab winds up for a final strike, the ref tries to dive to block the contact, but he's too late. The punch lands, and connors body goes limp. Blood is sparkling as the great lights shine on the blood of a man we once called a warrior.

At the funeral artem blames himself. He had to hire an assistant to turn the pages of his speech because his arms were too short to reach the stand.

Yea, he might really fuck up and sign long term exclusive deals with reebok and put meaningless wmma fights no one gives a shit about on main card PPV's. That would be awful...

that's because their business model doesn't care about PPV's anywhere near as much as the old days (which is why they're doing absolutely fine without McGregor despite investing a fuckload into making him who he is) and the UFC made bank on that reebok deal

Except that he'd lose in boxing and fade. If he fights the best in MMA consistently, he'll falter like most fighters. The way he could become big enough to no longer need them is to use the fame to do something else and bail on fighting altogether.
The reality is they made him for better and worse.

A guy who talks that much shit and has to fight whoever like most fighters do can't get by with that level of bravado on his own. He pieced together others' gimmicks to make the character, and they promoted him and gave special treatment to help along the way.
I think if they made the Paulie fight while there was still some heat there it would have given him even more buzz. Other than him winning the belt at 155 again I don't see much more left for him. I think the GSP fight is the biggest fight available for him. No other fight will reach beyond hardcores and casuals like the Mayweather bout.

I could see him doing well if he seeks out the right business partnerships but I don't know how enterprising he is when it comes to these matters. He's obviously somewhat of a fashoion notable but does he have any collections with the bigger fashion houses? I would try to partner with a tattoo care company if I were him. Shit like that.

Last edited:
mcGOAT already has a promotion and co-promoted the biggest fight of all time

UFC hasn't done over a million ppv buys since 2016

mcGOAT already bigger

Where he got his ass beat permanently out of boxing, and for the benefit of much wealthier, powerful men.

Conor should hire someone to help him lose the Irish accent for acting roles.

Nah, he'll need a platform to fight on, and he's locked down under contract with the UFC for who knows how long. Barriers to entry in MMA are pretty stiff compared to boxing, at least from what we've seen historically.

And I read the thread title quickly and saw "Can McGregor's beard grow to where he no longer needs the UFC" and I had to do a double take.

are you serious? the guys who bought UFC dropped 4 BILLION DOLLARS on the company. you think McGregor can compete with that?

they don't HAVE 4 billion, they SPENT 4 billion. Conor doesn't even have 1 billion, Dana White's son's sweet 16 birthday party probably costed more than half of Conor's wealth.

Remember when Ronda was the biggest thing to ever happen to mma? A lot of other people don’t either, and she was huge, I’d argue that she made more of an impact on the ufc than Conor, and once she stopped competing, she faded away into the history books. Conor has been at this a relatively short period of time. Once he retires, he fades.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back