Would Max overtake Volk legacy wise with a W over Justin?

If their paths ever align again a win over Volk won't hold as much weight as he's already in decline, and it will always be a really tough sell when someone has three wins over you. Max is still remarkably young for his high end experience in the sport though. So, who knows what he could still accomplish.

There is so much murkiness at FW between Aldo, Volk and Max that a universally agreed upon goat will never be possible.

The easiest answer to accept will be Aldo.

Anyone is entitled to think otherwise and I wouldn't think they're crazy, those three are all amazing warriors.

Getting 3-0'd by Volk hurts but if he can beat Topuria and another top contender it would be hard to argue against his longevity in the division

i support Max, but no. he lost 3 times vs Volkanovski. he'd have to have another insane run in order to get back into that conversation and he's getting old i doubt he has it in him, but who knows.

Getting 3-0'd by Volk hurts but if he can beat Topuria and another top contender it would be hard to argue against his longevity in the division

that's not enough. he has to get like double digit defenses or close to it. but of course, that's just my opinion.

My first criteria has always been consecutive defences. So the answer is, no.

But if a fighter had 4-5 defences, and then lost the belt.Then regained it, and defended another 4-5 times. I’d give that serious consideration. We’ve never seen that before.

But I don’t think that’s likely in this case.

But, I’d love to see Max with the belt again. And taking out a cocky young gun.

War Max.

The main problem with Max’s claim is he beat an Aldo with high fight mileage.

His wins were also after getting KO’d by McGregor.

And then he went on to lose 3x to Volk which is a big black eye on his claim.

But his resume and Aldo’s are insane.

I’m thinking if he racks up Topuria, Volk and one or two more defenses I could look past the three Volk losses… but it’s still iffy as he lost 3x to Volk… hence why I asked the question.
Aldo is still featherweight GOAT

He has three title defenses and has beaten Aldo 2x but lost to Volk 3x.

If he beats Topuria and then Volk, do you think he can become the GOAT if he defends once or twice after those victories?

Or is his stake to FW goatness over in your eyes?

His resume almost rivals that of Aldo’s…. It’s crazy.

Max will always be in the conversation.

Volkanovski will also always be in the conversation.

If Max beats Ilia, and then Volk, it will be hard to deny him his status — as he also be prime Aldo as well.

However, if Ilia beats Max, after beating Volk, then I think Ilia is well on his way to being the GOAT of FW as well as a legend.

Right now, I have it

Volk = featherweight goat
Aldo = featherweight champ goat

Holloway with a win over topuria and a second title reign can create an argument for featherweight goat, but it will likely not surpass the reigns of the other two. Still Holloway has possibly a few years to really accomplish big feats

If their paths ever align again a win over Volk won't hold as much weight as he's already in decline, and it will always be a really tough sell when someone has three wins over you. Max is still remarkably young for his high end experience in the sport though. So, who knows what he could still accomplish.
I agree but people still bring it with Izzy and Poatan.

Max has always been a favorite but this thread presumes waaaaay too much about him beating Topuria. Would love to see it, but let's see it.

Max has always been a favorite but this thread presumes waaaaay too much about him beating Topuria. Would love to see it, but let's see it.
I'm just trying to be fair. Max is a legend and we should speculate on whether he is worthy of FW Goat status if he can string together another few top notch wins.

I dont think so. I is slowly on his way out of his prime. And in his prime, he got into his true A game kinda late.

Also: both his fighting style and the person he is, kinda make me guess that he wont be one of those guys, fighting in the top, long after his prime.

Max lost 12 of 15 rounds against Volk when both were in their primes. I love Max but Volk is clearly ahead of him.

Absolutely not!!! He’s gonna get his brains bashed in by ilia!!! His chin cracked to bits!!! Fergusonesque losing streak looms!!!

Back