Can Conor jump in to fight Tony?

Conor should step in win the fight and donate the purse to charity! Boom Conor the great blesses a ton of bums lives and he gets back in the good graces of the people.

I got Tony winning if it happens. :)

Tony is too hittable. Tony doesn't have Diaz chin. Conor would blast him out in the first round.

Lol at all the clowns thinking Poirer is a bad matchup for Tony, but Conor somehow isn't.

He called for lockdown for Ireland, held a whole speech. If he would do that and went outside Ireland, it would make him look like a very big hypocrite.
I keep hearing this and i don't understand it. Since when conor gives a fuck?
This is the opportunity he's been waiting for, he said so many times that he doesn't believe this fight will happen and that he's ready to jump in and replace a guy who pulls out.
And now he's nowhere to be heard.

Tony is too hittable. Tony doesn't have Diaz chin. Conor would blast him out in the first round.

Lol at all the clowns thinking Poirer is a bad matchup for Tony, but Conor somehow isn't.
Tony has been stopped by strikes exactly 0 times in his career. He’s getting older, so I suppose it’s bound to happen eventually—but it’s not likely. Can Tony be hit? Sure, we’ve seen him hit, we’ve seen him rocked. But he’s an excellent and varied striker in his own right, is extremely good at recovering when rocked, is far more well rounded and dangerous on the ground, and will put a pace on Conor that will make Conor wilt.
I think Tony stops Conor in rd 2 or 3. Sub most likely, but a TKO isn’t out of the question either. I’ll happily eat crow if I’m wrong.

I think Conor wants the belt back, and we know Dana wants him in a title fight. Dana already was going to put him against the winner.

The obvious flaw in this line of reasoning(?). Tony doesn’t have the belt.

tumblr_n039jp1KYT1qhelj9o1_500.gif

Sorry to do the lame thing and repost my own post—but it was kind of long and it’s easier for me to paste it here than retype it. @Wizzlebiz, what are your thoughts?

edit: adding to this post, as I see the UFC has finally posted a free Khabib fight, just a couple of hours ago. Hmmm.
Also just wanna add the “Stay Ready” tweet is from March 2018

The obvious flaw in this line of reasoning(?). Tony doesn’t have the belt.

tumblr_n039jp1KYT1qhelj9o1_500.gif
Not a flaw, as Dana would simply make the fight for the interim belt, or possibly even strip Khabib and make it for the undisputed belt. The UFC does that shit all the time. Hell, they could just “reinstate” the interim belt that Tony already won, and never lost. There are several ways to make this a title fight.

Chinny Ferg is a easy fight for Conor and would be an easy fight to make. But I do believe Ireland is on lockdown. Tony would probably back out anyway.

Conor has been pretty outspoken on self quarantine lately so I doubt he’d take it if it was offered. I also doubt Tony would accept seeing that he’s been preparing for a totally opposite style, unless his goal is to wake up and see Herb Deans dreamy eyes staring back at him.

I think Conor would actually prefer to fight Tony, who is much more likely to stand with him than Khabib. We all know Tony has a great ground game, but he’s not going to try and spam takedowns on Conor. I think Conor wants the belt back, and we know Dana wants him in a title fight. Dana already was going to put him against the winner.
I agree with you that Conor would prefer to fight Tony over Khabib but the only fighters name that Conor has mentioned (since his domination of an over-the-hill Cowboy Cerrone) is... Diego Sanchez of all fighters. Quite a step up in competition from setting your sights on one of the oldest and most rundown fighters on the roster to one of the very best.
I don't see Conor even entertaining the idea of taking the second hardest fight in the division (and risk losing) especially if Dana and the UFC have shown in the past they're willing to have Conor cut the next best guy in line which happens to be Gaethje. Why would he take a fight against a guy like Tony when there's a good chance the UFC will just hand over another undeserved TS? You said it yourself they were already going to put him against the winner after beating ol Cowboy.

I agree with you that Conor would prefer to fight Tony over Khabib but the only fighters name that Conor has mentioned (since his domination of an over-the-hill Cowboy Cerrone) is... Diego Sanchez of all fighters. Quite a step up in competition from setting your sights on one of the oldest and most rundown fighters on the roster to one of the very best.
I don't see Conor even entertaining the idea of taking the second hardest fight in the division (and risk losing) especially if Dana and the UFC have shown in the past they're willing to have Conor cut the next best guy in line which happens to be Gaethje instead of Khabib/Tony this time. Why would he take a fight against a guy like Tony when there's a good chance the UFC will just hand over another undeserved TS? You said it yourself they were already going to put him against the winner after beating ol Cowboy.
It’s hard to say what Conor will do, and it’s also hard to say what the UFC will do next if Tony-Khabib falls apart. Let’s say UFC books Tony-Gaethje for the interim belt. Khabib doesn’t return until Sept-Oct. Would the UFC book the Gaethje-Tony winner against Khabib, as they should? If they do, Conor is sitting on the sidelines for about a year. Is Conor willing to sit around that long? Maybe, I don’t know.

I don’t know about there being no money, Conor is their biggest PPV draw, and there’s no other sports on whatsoever. A good PPV card headlined by a Conor title fight could do big numbers. God knows the UFC is losing money right now like everyone else, and would love to recoup some of that. I’m not a Conor fan btw, I just believe that the UFC is trying to make this fight happen with Khabib possibly out of the picture.

the gate is a big part of the profits in a conor fight. there also no time to promote it.the ufc itselg might not be losing money

I could see Conor taking this fight. He wants to stay active this year supposedly. If he takes Tony last minute Tony will have trained for wrestling rather than striking. Probably Conor's best chance to beat Tony

the gate is a big part of the profits in a conor fight. there also no time to promote it.the ufc itselg might not be losing money
I definitely see that point. But I think if you’re going to go ahead with the PPV, you’ll get more buys/make more money with Conor headlining than if he wasn’t. Why not maximize your chance to profit if you’re the UFC? Otherwise, you lose buys because Khabib’s off the card, and lose the chance to get buys from a Conor fight for months, because Conor will remain inactive. Makes more sense to book him for 249 if he’ll take fight, and it’s possible logistically.

I don't see Conor even entertaining the idea of taking the second hardest fight in the division (and risk losing) especially if Dana and the UFC have shown in the past they're willing to have Conor cut the next best guy in line which happens to be Gaethje. Why would he take a fight against a guy like Tony when there's a good chance the UFC will just hand over another undeserved TS? You said it yourself they were already going to put him against the winner after beating ol Cowboy.

Conor is not the type of fighter that is concerned with risking losing. He has chosen to take some of the hardest fights stylistically. Even rematching Nate at 170 was impressive. He could have requested it at 155 and would have been a much better matchup for him. Fighting Khabib took balls too. Everyone said Conor would never fight Khabib and was ducking him.

You got Conor fucked up.

Back