"Cain Velasquez passed on submitting JDS to prove point"

No he didn't, JDS was fine.

BoetschandJuniorOW.jpg

Holy shit. That picture cracks me up every time. It's like he hasn't looked himself in the mirror and is just trying to do his usual tough guy pose... except it doesn't come out that great...

Cain with sharp submission skills would be scary. JDS is way too dangerous to do anything but finish via any means necessary ASAP. I think Cain is a fool if he truly thinks he could finish JDS and chooses to punch him instead just to prove a point. JDS showed will and toughness in that last fight so I doubt he's going to lose via TKO. Cain needs to submit him if he can, IMO.

I think Cain was looking for the knockout in their second fight, but JDS wouldn't stay down. The sub was there though. Cain ignored it.

I remember during the fight the rear naked being there often while he was pounding him on the ground from behind. He never attempted to go for it but I guess why bother and possibly lose position when just staying on top and pounding JDS's head from behind was working fine.

If Cain could have gotten him out of there in round 1 he would have. He is a consummate professional and pretty stoic, he just goes about the job to the best of his ability.

Nobody likes the criticism that you can't finish, particularly if the same guy fantastically knocked you out. The plain truth is that Dos Santos is just ridiculously durable.

The point being what? to beat someone up for 5 rounds? to show how tough JDS is and how good his chin is?

If he really could have finished the fight, he should have. Cain could have gotten finished later in the fight and he would have eaten crow.

Cain was basically looking at a RNC but decided to pass up on the attempt.

I'm actually picking Cain via sub this time.

Yup. He had the RNC for the taking in that fight and he did pass it up. It made me wonder at the time how much bjj he really knew. I certainly assumed he knew how to do one but you see a lot of wrestlers who if they just added some basic bjj to their game they'd be a lot better off Cain didn't even try. Now we read about him becoming a black belt but I still wonder.

The point he was trying to prove was the fact that he can't finish JDS.

The point being what? to beat someone up for 5 rounds? to show how tough JDS is and how good his chin is?

If he really could have finished the fight, he should have. Cain could have gotten finished later in the fight and he would have eaten crow.

Right. Its so crazy that when JDS says things pertaining to Cain he isn't humble or hes cocky but Cain can slide with saying this.

He couldn't KO JDS nor could he keep him on the ground long enough to submit him.

Last edited:
IMO submission is the ultimate point of breaking someone's spirit, assuming they tap out. They had to admit defeat to themselves and tap out. Shit is my favorite, tbh.

i agree. subs you make someone give up where knockouts you just knock them out

cain said he just rolled into the armbar so he said fuck it and went for it but then jds slipped. it was in a limbo candid camera after the fight

Doesn't make a lot of sense, really. I think he could have likely gone for more submissions, but statements after the fact like this are rather meaningless to me.

Holy shit. That picture cracks me up every time. It's like he hasn't looked himself in the mirror and is just trying to do his usual tough guy pose... except it doesn't come out that great...

lol i feel like JDS doesnt give a shit about his face.

boo, what a fucking lame thing to say. A notch down for Cain, still leaves him right at the top, but he better stop saying dumb shit like that!

Back