Cain is NOT happy with HBO

He should be upset

I thought HBO made a documentary about high altitude or something.

c'mon guys, UFC holds the rights to the footage and HBO paid to air the footage. if Cain's gonna pissed off at anyone it should be the UFC not HBO.

I think HBO can use footage without express permission in a documentary or other news feature, as long as they don't show finishing moves.

Mr Flying Burrito confirmed as an HBO executive

I'd be upset too. I wouldn't want my image anywhere near it.

I think HBO can use footage without express permission in a documentary or other news feature, as long as they don't show finishing moves.

While I won't proclaim to be a wealth of knowledge on this subject, I do work in the entertainment industry and have had to deal with the media clearance department a few times. You can't just take something off the web or tv and rebroadcast it 1) it would look like shit, normally you would get the UFC (or whatever company holds the rights) to either provide a physical tape master or high resolution digital file 2) it's illegal to rebroadcast something without consent

Which Cain did they show? If it was not sea level Cain than I can see why he was upset.

While I won't proclaim to be a wealth of knowledge on this subject, I do work in the entertainment industry and have had to deal with the media clearance department a few times. You can't just take something off the web or tv and rebroadcast it 1) it would look like shit, normally you would get the UFC (or whatever company holds the rights) to either provide a physical tape master or high resolution digital file 2) it's illegal to rebroadcast something without consent

So do all news agencies have prior authorization from companies like the NFL and NBA to show highlights from recent sporting events or do they have to continually get permission? I don't know that it counts as "rebroadcasting" to show a 10 second clip of a fight as long as it's not the finish. I also wonder if documentaries have more leeway in how they use copyrighted works in their works. Interesting stuff, but I get why Cain is upset and maybe UFC legal should address this.

edit: seems to fall within "fair use" provisions of copyright law:
http://www.gcglaw.com/resources/entertainment/fair_use.html

Last edited:
He's got a legitimate gripe, but that won't stop sherdog posters from derailing his point by using this as an opportunity to complain about his injuries or rematch with Werdum.

I don't like the immediate rematch either, but aren't there enough other threads about him to interject your whining?

He was in it for about 2 seconds in a half hour program, and it wasn't in any way inferring he had anything to do with domestic violence.

The clip that showed him (pummeling Bigfoot for 2 seconds) was a quick montage of bloody fights, and the voice over was talking about how violent MMA is. At no point in the show was he made out to be an abuser.

HBO did not pay for or get clearance for this footage, I can almost guarantee it (without having first hand knowledge of this particular production).

So do all news agencies have prior authorization from companies like the NFL and NBA to show highlights from recent sporting events or do they have to continually get permission? I don't know that it counts as "rebroadcasting" to show a 10 second clip of a fight as long as it's not the finish. I also wonder if documentaries have more leeway in how they use copyrighted works in their works. Interesting stuff, but I get why Cain is upset and maybe UFC legal should address this.

I can't speak for all news agencies but I would imagine someone like ESPN has a standing agreement with NFL/NBA etc to show their footage without having to get permission for each game but I would guess the NFL/NBA has a say in what portions can be aired. The company I work for has affiliations with one the major broadcasting companies (NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX) and while they won't always charge us for footage it does have to be giving the ok by their side before we can put it in our show.

Never worked on a doc, so I can't really comment on that.

Saw your edit: Not sure if Real Sports is considered a documentary since it's a not a stand alone doc but a series

He's got a legitimate gripe, but that won't stop sherdog posters from derailing his point by using this as an opportunity to complain about his injuries or rematch with Werdum.

The first thing I thought when I read the thread was, "Cain has a right to be angry" but I wanted to post a funny comment about him being injured or something.

LMAO

HBO did not pay for or get clearance for this footage, I can almost guarantee it (without having first hand knowledge of this particular production).

not saying you're wrong but where did the source footage come from then? recording it from tv or pulling it off the web the quality would be pretty substandard

Did he injure himself in the footage?

ywQ8lmp.gif

not saying you're wrong but where did the source footage come from then? recording it from tv or pulling it off the web the quality would be pretty substandard

They did have some lower quality Bellator stuff it looks like they ripped from online, War Machine stuff. They probably sourced the UFC stuff online too, not like it's hard to find. 1080p or even 720 would look fine in a doc format, even SD stuff. Image quality on docs, while important, is not the be all and end all. Watched that 'Amy' documentary at the theatre and it had some of the worst quality footage I have ever seen and it still told the story.

Back