Cain is in a tough spot.

After JDS smashes him again, Cain should lose his horrible pudge and drop to LHW. Then get smashed by Jones.

Perhaps Cain does not have the best looking body, but horrible pudge is overboard. I mean that is just an insult. What about non-prime Chuck belly, what about Nelson, Ben Rothwell, Tim Sylvia??? They all look much more out of shape than Cain.

What you did here is just wrong.

I really think he beats JDS by gnp. It won't be glamorous but JDS is not Anderson and Cain is nastier than Chael so I don't like that comparison.

Agreed. Also, the title of this thread should say "would be" since the second fight hasn't happened yet.

Doesn't have to be so grim for him, JDS can loose to Overeem at one point, while Cain remains the top 3, so we might see Cain vs Reem.

Cain is about to join kos and Okami in their ''I can beat top guys but cant get another shot at the belt'' club.

A contender killer.

okami is really not a contender killer at all, he's beaten like one or two, the most impressive win in his entire ufc career is nate marquardt

Only is he loses, if he wins the fight he's fine.

Honestly though, with HW being so shallow after the top 6 or so, would he really be removed from the tile picture even with JDS as champ?

If JDS beats Reem and Cormier, who else is there? Would you rather see JDS/Struve 2, or JDS/Cain 3?

I think the powers that be at the UFC are counting on Cain winning. Otherwise, it doesn't make a lot of sense to do this fight right now. Dana seemed pissed when JDS won, or I thought he did when I was watching his commentary on Fox. But who knows. I'd have rather seen it down the road a bit.

I disagree that this is a set up by the UFC. Overeem had the title shot, but then got popped for elevate T/E levels so they had to replace him.

The long and short of it is that I think he's screwed. He's no threat to Junior on the feet and I doubt he can keep the fight on the ground for extended periods of time. What happens next? He'd better hope Overeem can win the title.

What exactly have you seen from Junior that would give you any indication at all that Cain can't keep him down if he gets him there?

Honestly though, with HW being so shallow after the top 6 or so, would he really be removed from the tile picture even with JDS as champ?

If JDS beats Reem and Cormier, who else is there? Would you rather see JDS/Struve 2, or JDS/Cain 3?

Barnett and Browne potentially, by then there should be some new contenders, maybe even mark hunt will find his way to a title shot.

Plus if he beats Reem, id rather see JDS/Reem 2 then JDS/Cain 3

Cain's likelihood of a future fight against JDS for the title (if he loses again) depends on the quality and length of a fight. If it's another 90 second knockout, count him out for a year and a half (for a title shot at HW) at least. If it's an epic fight, I wouldn't be surprised if he got a crack at JDS (after Overeem and perhaps Werdum or someone like that).

Really, as it stands right now, JDS and Velasquez (along with maybe Overeem and Werdum) are so much better than every other HW, it isn't even funny.
Fixed, and I agree, Franklin defended his title.
Franklin had to beat Rousseau and Newton.
Cain had to beat Big Nog and Lesnar.

Cain also got owned off an ACL. Franklin got owned after not knowing what "the clinch" is.

I disagree that this is a set up by the UFC. Overeem had the title shot, but then got popped for elevate T/E levels so they had to replace him.

I'm not saying they are going to fix the fight or anything, I just think the brass would like for Cain to win.

Damn, I'm pumped for this fight! Cain has all the tools to win this, the question is can he fight smart and maintain his cool. If Cain hits that first takedown and starts to get comfortable, I think he wears down JDS and pulls it off. If he loses and gets dominated again, it will certainly put him in a shitty position, but I don't see him losing to anyone else in the division, aside from maybe Overeem. I highly doubt he drops to LHW, although that would be amazing

I'm not saying they are going to fix the fight or anything, I just think the brass would like for Cain to win.

I think this goes without saying. Cain could have opened up a new market to them and lord knows they have plenty of Brazilian champs and star power already.

I think that if JDS can stay on top for a while, he will be Brazil's primary draw after Anderson retires.

What exactly have you seen from Junior that would give you any indication at all that Cain can't keep him down if he gets him there?

You got me. There's no fight that I can point to. But I do believe that, given JDS's ability to keep his fights standing thus far, he has worked hard enough on unseen parts of his game that he will not let Cain manhandle him.

I agree but the whole HWT division is in the same spot as the whole MW division.

I really think Cain could make 205 though pretty easy as he is no bigger than any 205 pounders walk around weight except Hendo.

I don't think so. I think JDS is just as marketable, even in the US.

Is it out of the realm of possibility that he can make 205?

In many ways, Cain is in the same position Rich Franklin was a few years ago. At the moment, Cain is arguably the number two guy in the division. He has a diverse skill set and knows what it takes to be the champ.

But what happens if he loses again to Junior Dos Santos? Can he fight other contenders and work his way up? Can he cut to LHW? What about Cormier? Surely he will enter the title picture in the next few months. All in all, he has a ton of pressure on him for the upcoming fight.

Your thoughts?

Why so gloom and doom? You musta forgot that he was the fastest guy to the title next to Lesnar. He's an overachiever. He's still a beginner in some way so he has a lot of room to improve. So he lost to JDS, he may or may not win it this time but he will be back into the title picture again given how shallow the HW division is. People are always intrigued about HW's fighting so there's no danger of losing interest. He'll be in an enviable spot for years to come.

Back