Cain is in a tough spot.

SteveVai

White Belt
Reaction score
In many ways, Cain is in the same position Rich Franklin was a few years ago. At the moment, Cain is arguably the number two guy in the division. He has a diverse skill set and knows what it takes to be the champ.

But what happens if he loses again to Junior Dos Santos? Can he fight other contenders and work his way up? Can he cut to LHW? What about Cormier? Surely he will enter the title picture in the next few months. All in all, he has a ton of pressure on him for the upcoming fight.

Your thoughts?

Cain is about to join kos and Okami in their ''I can beat top guys but cant get another shot at the belt'' club.

A contender killer.

He is going to be the chael sonnen of HW, stomp on people, but can't take out the champ.

after Anderson beat Rich the first time, there seemed no imaginable way Rich could ever beat him. not so with Cain imo

The long and short of it is that I think he's screwed. He's no threat to Junior on the feet and I doubt he can keep the fight on the ground for extended periods of time. What happens next? He'd better hope Overeem can win the title.

If he loses to JDS he's pretty much stuck fighting other contenders with no hope at a title shot unless JDS loses/dies

I really think he beats JDS by gnp. It won't be glamorous but JDS is not Anderson and Cain is nastier than Chael so I don't like that comparison.

Cain is about to join kos and Okami in their ''I can beat top guys but cant get another shot at the belt'' club.

A contender killer.

Okami just got wrecked by Tim Boetsch. I agree on Kos though.

I think the powers that be at the UFC are counting on Cain winning. Otherwise, it doesn't make a lot of sense to do this fight right now. Dana seemed pissed when JDS won, or I thought he did when I was watching his commentary on Fox. But who knows. I'd have rather seen it down the road a bit.

Okami just got wrecked by Tim Boetsch. I agree on Kos though.

He's fighting Belcher next.

If he beats Belcher, he derails a guy well on his way for a titleshot, without himself getting nowhere near a shot.

that would most definately suck for the MW div, especially that we know exactly HOW he would beat Belcher.

It's Cain's own fault for demanding a rematch so soon. Instead of working on trying to improve his skill set he is basically saying that JDS got lucky the first time and that it won't happen again. If he's wrong, he's doomed himself to irrelevancy in the HW division.

after Anderson beat Rich the first time, there seemed no imaginable way Rich could ever beat him. not so with Cain imo

If Cain can't keep Junior down in the second fight, then no he won't keep getting title shots until he can land that one magical takedown that makes Junior forget everything about MMA and gets stomped out.

whatever people... Cain vs JDS is a coin flip. I actually think if you gave Big Country 5 rounds with JDS he could win.. mostly because JDS would likely break both hands and gas out

after Anderson beat Rich the first time, there seemed no imaginable way Rich could ever beat him.

That didn't stop a lot of people from picking him in the second fight claiming he would use his "cerebral gameplanning" to win via imaginary wrestling advantage.

Good point. There is a lot of weight on his shoulders. Can he deal with it?

Good point, in their two fights Anderson destroyed Franklin, in their first tilt, JDS caught Cain with a good shot. Who knows maybe history will repeat itself.

A contender killer.

Even if he loses the next fight, I don't see many other HWs who could beat him, and I'm sure if he wanted he could fight his way back to a title shot pretty quickly.

Back