Cain is in a tough spot.

In many ways, Cain is in the same position Rich Franklin was a few years ago. At the moment, Cain is arguably the number two guy in the division. He has a diverse skill set and knows what it takes to be the champ.

But what happens if he loses again to Junior Dos Santos? Can he fight other contenders and work his way up? Can he cut to LHW? What about Cormier? Surely he will enter the title picture in the next few months. All in all, he has a ton of pressure on him for the upcoming fight.

Your thoughts?

heh. I made a thread about this very issue yesterday.
I am also curious about this.

Thinking coldly, the only option for Cain is to drop down.

DC is a HW who would move down in case Cain wins (so they don't fight each other).

But if Cain cannot win the belt, I think DC will stay at HW and as such, Cain has to go down.

As you put, he is in a tough spot...no option but to win.

whatever people... Cain vs JDS is a coin flip. I actually think if you gave Big Country 5 rounds with JDS he could win.. mostly because JDS would likely break both hands and gas out

Why do people keep saying its a coin flip? There's not any proof to suggest Cain is a competitive matchup and if JDS knocks him out again it will solidify that.

Agreed. I'm rooting for him, but I really hoped he'd get the rematch a little later than this. I hope he's ready.

i do agree that he's pretty much backed in a corner by jds. cain has only 1 loss, and that's what really sucks about this. junior would have to lose his belt for cain to be a contender again.

he's lucky enough to get two shots at him, which is all one can ask for. i hope this fight is a real war.

I think the powers that be at the UFC are counting on Cain winning. Otherwise, it doesn't make a lot of sense to do this fight right now. Dana seemed pissed when JDS won, or I thought he did when I was watching his commentary on Fox. But who knows. I'd have rather seen it down the road a bit.

if he was pissed it was only that it might affect buys from mexicans... another brazilian champ wouldnt necessarily increase buys.. probably how he looked at it

I really doubt Cain gets past Overeem. Won't make a difference but Cain is a beast.

In many ways, Cain is in the same position Rich Franklin was a few years ago. At the moment, Cain is arguably the number two guy in the division. He has a diverse skill set and knows what it takes to be the champ.

But what happens if he loses again to Junior Dos Santos? Can he fight other contenders and work his way up? Can he cut to LHW? What about Cormier? Surely he will enter the title picture in the next few months. All in all, he has a ton of pressure on him for the upcoming fight.

Your thoughts?
My thought is we revisit this thread after Cain smashes JDS

That's why I think it's important to win a couple fights and build yourself back up...When you jump into a title fight rematch like that, you're basically banking on that one fight and if you lose you're screwed.

I mean losing to the same guy twice in pretty much the span of a year...unless JDS loses later down the road, he's in Rich Franklin territory, no mans land.

I think JDS will rip his arm off this time...after being taken down.

Your thoughts?

i honestly don't understand why people say that if a fighter loses to the champion twice, that his career is over or that he has to change weight-class.

if cain loses again, then he simply has to improve. fighters get better, but fighters also get worse. dos santos is on top of the heap now, but things change very quickly in this sport.

after Anderson beat Rich the first time, there seemed no imaginable way Rich could ever beat him. not so with Cain imo

Not true, after the first fight people thought that Anderson's win was a fluke and Rich would take him out in the rematch

After JDS smashes him again, Cain should lose his horrible pudge and drop to LHW. Then get smashed by Jones.

Back