Caffeine/Coffee

farmboy

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I love a cup of coffee in the morning. I don't think it actually helps to wake me up in the morning, but there's just something about it. I'm probably so used to the caffeine that it doesn't really effect me unless I drink like 4 or so cups. I had heard some people talking about drinking coffee before a workout... I don't know.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone had a personal opinion about drinking coffee, positive or negative. Well, that's a silly way to put it. I'm sure everyine here has a personal opinion about pretty much every subject. Anyway...

Do a search. I have posted extensively on its use and my opinion about it. Obviously in threads with many other opinionis.

I think the fact that caffeine doesn't affect you until 4 cups into it, and your inability to stay away from having a cup every day kinda says that you are addicted to caffeine, not just mentally, but your body needs it.

If at all possible try to cut out as much caffeine from your diet as possible, it makes your body acidic, and coffee raises cortisol levels, which stresses you out, and helps retain body fat.

I only have caffeine in the morning if I know I'm going to be doing aerobic/cardio exercise right after, as it helps boost metabolism and keeps the calories down...

Rjkd12 said:
Do a search. I have posted extensively on its use and my opinion about it. Obviously in threads with many other opinionis.

You should put them all together for a Caffeine 101 thread.

Haha, we all know King Kabuki would love to sticky it.

But I don't think anybody cares. I put up that one thread that talked about it not being a diretic and a few other things and nobody responded. Either people don't believe me or they don't care.

I guess I should cut back, or maybe just lay off it all together for a while. I didn't have any the other day and started getting a headache later on in the day. I didn't think much about it, except that it was a bit odd because I rarely get headaches. Then, later in the afternoon I had a cup of coffee and low and behold, the headache went away. That's when I started to think about the caffeine issue.

Rjkd12 said:
Haha, we all know King Kabuki would love to sticky it.

But I don't think anybody cares. I put up that one thread that talked about it not being a diretic and a few other things and nobody responded. Either people don't believe me or they don't care.

I try not to respond to threads if I have nothing to add to it.

Those are actually the ones I appreciate the most, since I learn something from them.

paulchu said:
I think the fact that caffeine doesn't affect you until 4 cups into it, and your inability to stay away from having a cup every day kinda says that you are addicted to caffeine, not just mentally, but your body needs it.

If at all possible try to cut out as much caffeine from your diet as possible, it makes your body acidic, and coffee raises cortisol levels, which stresses you out, and helps retain body fat.

I only have caffeine in the morning if I know I'm going to be doing aerobic/cardio exercise right after, as it helps boost metabolism and keeps the calories down...

Whats so bad about caffeine? Its an antioxidant , there was an article in the newspaper the other week touting the health benifits of coffee and i thought it helped burn fat not retain it.

And anyway caffeine addiction isn't really an issue, its not like people got to rehab for caffeine addiction.

caffeine is not an antioxidant. you can't find me any evidence that states so, stop spreading dirty dirty lies.

what's wrong with coffee?

it makes your body acidic, and coffee raises cortisol levels, which stresses you out, and helps retain body fat.

If you're gonna quote me, for fuck's sake, read the part you are quoting.

paulchu said:
caffeine is not an antioxidant. you can't find me any evidence that states so, stop spreading dirty dirty lies.

it makes your body acidic, and coffee raises cortisol levels, which stresses you out, and helps retain body fat.

Caffeine as an antioxidant: inhibition of lipid peroxidation induced by reactive oxygen species

Biochim Biophys Acta 1996 Jun 13;1282(1):63-70
Devasagayam TP, Kamat JP, Mohan H, Kesavan PC
Biosciences Group, Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Bombay, India.

Caffeine (1,3,7-trimethyl xanthine), an ingredient of coffee, has been investigated for its potential antioxidant activity against oxidative damage to rat liver microsomes. Such damage was induced by three reactive oxygen species of cardinal importance in causing membrane damage in vivo namely hydroxyl radical (.OH), peroxyl radical (ROO.) and singlet oxygen (1O2). The results obtained showed that caffeine was an effective inhibitor of lipid peroxidation, at millimolar concentrations, against all the three reactive species. The extent of inhibition was high against peroxidation induced by .OH, medium against 1O2 and low against ROO. In general, the antioxidant ability of caffeine was similar to that of the established biological antioxidant glutathione and significantly higher than ascorbic acid. Investigations into the possible mechanisms involved in the observed antioxidant effect reveal that the quenching of these reactive species by caffeine may be one of the possible factor responsible. The rate constant of caffeine with .OH was 7.3 x 10(9) M-1 s-1 and with 1O2 it was 2.9 x 10(7) M-1 s-1. Considering their potential for damage, half-life estimates and generation in biological systems, the ability of caffeine to inhibit oxidative damage induced by these reactive species in membranes suggest one more positive attribute of caffeine, whose daily intake as coffee may be considerable in most populations.

there you go sir you'll also find alot of information on http://coffeescience.org/

I was under the impression that during training times, the sue of caffine helps the body utilize fat cells, whereas during non training times, the increase of cortisol would result in fat being deposited/harder to shift.

I've used caffine during training to help shift weight (mainly fat seems to be lost IMO) because I've been led to believe that its a thermogenic (and in part helps with effy's thermogenic properties).

I may be wrong in both parts, but hey, atleast I'll know if I'm wrong or not when people reply

paulchu said:

Caffeine as an antioxidant: inhibition of lipid peroxidation induced by reactive oxygen species

Biochim Biophys Acta 1996 Jun 13;1282(1):63-70
Devasagayam TP, Kamat JP, Mohan H, Kesavan PC
Biosciences Group, Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, Bombay, India.

LOL.

Pssst...dude, dude, you so got fucking PWNED.

i used to drink a lot of coffee, we have a free machine at work. was always stressed and had lots of headaches. only drink it at w/end now and feel much much better. cant do technical answers but take it from me if you cut back am sure you will be glad you did. (my wife said am much calmer and less bad tempered now!)

paulchu said:

Haha, you try to come off hard and you are full of shit. Why not learn a bit about what you are talking about and then post.

Stress may reaise cortisol, but cortisol doesn't raise stress. I don't think if you gave some guy a cortisol shot he'd sit there all mopey and cry all the time.

Rjkd12 said:
Stress may reaise cortisol, but cortisol doesn't raise stress.

rjkd: http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=cortisol+stress&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Cortisol IS THE STRESS HORMONE... it makes your body think you are in times of stress, so your body behaves like its stressed.... speaking of coming off hard and being full of shit...

Now, I was incorrect by calling caffeine not an antioxidant, but I wasn't too far off:

Rat liver mitochondria are irradiated with 60Co g -rays and the activity of superoxide dismutase (SOD), an enzyme that breaks down superoxide is monitored. Their result establishes that radiation-induced loss of SOD activity is prevented by high concentrations of caffeine. These authors had earlier reported the action of caffeine as a radioprotectant (J. Radiol. Protection, 1991, 19, 171), in a study that promoted an estimate that 100 cups of coffee might be necessary to protect a 70 kg individual against similar radiation exposure (New Scientist, 1999, 26 June, p. 12)!

Someone obviously left THAT part out. One hundred cups of coffee... Anyone who drinks that much coffee will "sit there mopey and cry all the time."

Anyone else?

PS: I have read that COFFEE has antioxidant properties, but separate from the caffeine. This is why semantics are so very important.

paulchu said:
rjkd: http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=cortisol+stress&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Cortisol IS THE STRESS HORMONE... it makes your body think you are in times of stress, so your body behaves like its stressed.... speaking of coming off hard and being full of shit...

I agree cortisol is the stress hormone. I even said that stress raises cortisol. I do not agree a cortisol shot will make someone stressed out. What you are saying is, if I inject cortisol, my brain will register that and make someone feel stressed out and irritable? No. Things don't always work both ways. When a person gets sick they have a fever, that doesn't mean raising someones body temp will make them sick.

Cortisol: it increases blood pressure and blood sugar levels and suppresses the immune system. Synthetic cortisol, also known as hydrocortisone, is used as a drug mainly to fight allergies and inflammation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortisol

So, everyone who gets a hyrocortisone shot will be depressed all the time? No, so drinking coffee will not make someone feel stressed out. Caffeine is normally associated with a euphoric feeling, so not only are you just wrong, you are exactly opposite.

And since I didn't take the time before to go after everything you said, assuming sherdoggers would just ignore it, I'll cover it now.

Additionally the antioxidant effect of coffee was stated, as I previously stated in another thread, because Americans get most of the antioxidants they get through coffee. The reason isn't because coffee has TONS of antioxidant effects, but since it is consumed in large quantities. So, if most Americans just stop drinking it they will lose on their main source of antioxidants.

Yes, 100 cups of coffee to protect a 70 kg person FROM RADIATION. The article you posted talked about coffee as a radioprotectant. Not one person even brought this up.

It makes your body acidic? You mean when coffee gets into your stomach, pH1, it can change the pH of your blood? No. The pH of the body has an EXTREMELY tight range, and it is very important for many biological processes. The pH of coffee is 4.9-5.2. Not that bad. Pepsi has a pH of 3.0 so that is even worse.

The caffeine in coffee helps mobilize fatty acids into the blood stream to give you energy. It also right shifts the fat and cho energy source so you use fat for a longer period of time. That does not make you fat, it helps you lose weight. Additionally it curbs your appetite and therefore you might eat less. This is why caffeine is the main ingredient to all weight loss drugs that work.

About 10 minutes into my first cup, I gotta shit and my ass sweats, gettin my fresh undies damp.

Why paulchu, does my body act this way?

rjkd - in my original statement, I said "stresses you out" I didn't say that it induces stress, it puts your body in a stressed state. cortisol presense = stressed state.

and yes, raising someone's body temperature does make them sick. its called hyperthermia.

now, cortisol wont necessarily make someone depressed, it will help induce the fight or flee response which tends to make people edgier, a sign of stress.

but the question was is caffeine an antioxidant? and the answer is more or less no. a person must consume caffeine equal to about 100 cups of coffee (about 5g - 20g). to get the desired effects. the tests were done with radiation on lab rats to reproduce long term oxidation in rats. If they did not use radiation, they would have had to wait until the rats grew enough free radicals and oxidizing agents on their own (which could take a very long time) in any measurable amount for them to quantify their study. Let's face it though, at that kind of levels, you would be much better drinking green tea as an antioxidant than coffee which has more antioxidant properties to begin with. If you want to get fancy, I hear pomegranite juice was one of the most effective antioxidants around.

And to tout the benefits of coffee, well, you're certainly preaching to the choir. I'm fully aware that it helps boost metabolism (though it does not suppres appetite), and in my original post, I have stated that I use caffeine to boost my metabolism when I am doing cardio or aerobic exercise in the morning.

But please take all the things I say into context, farmboy certainly has grown a small dependence on the stuff, and that was the context I was answering this question in..

Chad, I don't know why you have a leaky ass... but if you smoke with your coffee, your bowels do have nicoine receptors that make you wanna take a crap... next time try to make it to the can.

Back