Buying a new watch for $300-$500

For an extra hundred or two, you can have the finest calculator watch ever made:

IMG_4643.jpg

This 1980s motherfucker says FUCK YOU, I AM THE ALPHA NERD!

If you're in the 300-500 range for something that looks and feels like a $1000+ watch, Bulova is your friend.

The Bulova Precisionist Cronograph is from $699 to $350 on Amazon.

99955642_v_1423890527.jpg

I've owned 3 Bulova watches and I've loved them all and they're all still ticking.

Of all the pics posted in this thread, I like this one the most so far. Good recommendation.

Bulova
96A120 US$220
5vMVYJ.png

96A119 US$250
V0SXUX.png

For an extra hundred or two, you can have the finest calculator watch ever made:

IMG_4643.jpg

This 1980s motherfucker says FUCK YOU, I AM THE ALPHA NERD!

I remember when those came out. When I was in college in the early 70s, they had a calculator room with a typewriter sized calculators that could only add, subtract multiply and divide but they had 2 memory functions. Better than using a slide rule.
hqdefault.jpg

Then Texas instruments came out with the compact version. but no memory function.

datamath.jpg

I remember when those came out. When I was in college in the early 70s, they had a calculator room with a typewriter sized calculators that could only add, subtract multiply and divide but they had 2 memory functions. Better than using a slide rule.

Fuck, you're old ralphie.

I mean, I'm old but even engineering and physics students of my generation (90s) only knew what slide rules were, but no one actually owned one, much less learned how to use them except as a curiosity.

I've heard good things about CW watches. I know keeping them to online sales keeps costs down but for those that like to try it on before purchase it makes it a difficult decision.
When I first opened this thread I was fairly surprised that nobody mentioned CW watches as I consider them to be very competitive in the $300-$700ish range. My first "nice" watch was a CW C5 MKII. Quartz, stainless band, it's still kicking. My friend has had a C60 for like 4 years now so I actually got to see the watch before I bought it. I was a bit skeptical when I bought mine because of the color scheme. His has the charcoal dial with orange accents which I like. I thought the full blue might look a bit silly but I was pleasantly surprised when I got it in the mail. The watch looks a lot better than the pictures. The detail with the waves in the dial is pretty impressive for what it is. With CW you just have to wait for their periodic sales, I got my C60 at 30% off.

When I first opened this thread I was fairly surprised that nobody mentioned CW watches as I consider them to be very competitive in the $300-$700ish range. My first "nice" watch was a CW C5 MKII. Quartz, stainless band, it's still kicking. My friend has had a C60 for like 4 years now so I actually got to see the watch before I bought it. I was a bit skeptical when I bought mine because of the color scheme. His has the charcoal dial with orange accents which I like. I thought the full blue might look a bit silly but I was pleasantly surprised when I got it in the mail. The watch looks a lot better than the pictures. The detail with the waves in the dial is pretty impressive for what it is. With CW you just have to wait for their periodic sales, I got my C60 at 30% off.
I was... And still am... Considering a c60 trident pro. It's not a big name brand so I didn't mention it. I went with the assumption that a major name watch brand was what TS was looking for. There are a few other micro brands that really have my attention.... Especially in the dive watch category.

So did you ever get a new watch?

Yeah, I bought an orient star watch, made in Japan, mechanical. I'll post a pic later.

I bought it as a celebration for getting a new job. I only wear it occasionally and wear my G-Shock everyday

Lmao @ grown ass men giving a fuck about a clock strapped to their wrist.

Sweet. That's what I wear every day too, G shocks are bombproof. I was just flipping through old treads I'd marked as interesting and didn't see a conclusion to this one.

Yeah, I bought an orient star watch, made in Japan, mechanical. I'll post a pic later.

I bought it as a celebration for getting a new job. I only wear it occasionally and wear my G-Shock everyday

I've always viewed wearing an expensive watch in public as a needless risk.

Decent buy for the price range.

I bought one similar to the one on the left in the early 2000s for about $600. Beautiful watch.. still have it, but I never wear it. It was more a piece of jewelry than anything.

I bought one similar to the one on the left in the early 2000s for about $600. Beautiful watch.. still have it, but I never wear it. It was more a piece of jewelry than anything.
Mine was in the low 400's back in 2012 but I had to pay 18% in customs on top of shipping and other retarded crap they charge in this shit hole of a country.

Back