Buying a new watch for $300-$500

They do look good. I think they may complement my wardrobe more too. I have to try it on!
Amazing watch. I'm partial to dive watches in general though. Many styles of dive watches can be dressed up or down.

So...honest (and dumb) question: will a leather strap get messed up if it gets wet? Scenario: washing your hands frequently.

I wash my hands so many times a day because I handle cash at work and because I'm paranoid. I've always avoided buying watches with leather straps since I assume water will just ruin it.

So...honest (and dumb) question: will a leather strap get messed up if it gets wet? Scenario: washing your hands frequently.

I wash my hands so many times a day because I handle cash at work and because I'm paranoid. I've always avoided buying watches with leather straps since I assume water will just ruin it.

You can buy 'waterproof' leather straps but they are more like water resistant. I put snoseal on my Hamilton khaki leather strap and I haven't had to change it yet (5 years). No real signs of wear, but it's a $120 band.

http://www.watchbands.com/Products/20mm-Brown-Genuine-Leather__H600704104.aspx

Oh and I wash my hands >10 times per day but it's mostly hand sanitizer.

Have you searched for an all dial mido? Great timepiece for the price

I would wear a g-shock at work and then wear the leather strap when you go out/socialize or wear a suit.

I have a Christopher Ward C60 Trident-Pro that I've been wearing for about two years now and I really like it. Black leather strap with the blue face, I think it walks the line where its comfortable in a formal and casual setting. I pretty much wear it everyday but I've developed a habit of winding it everyday. Not that I have to, its just something I can't stop myself from doing.

This is a picture I got from Google, but its the same exact watch I have.

nsH2e3u.jpg

I have a Christopher Ward C60 Trident-Pro that I've been wearing for about two years now and I really like it. Black leather strap with the blue face, I think it walks the line where its comfortable in a formal and casual setting. I pretty much wear it everyday but I've developed a habit of winding it everyday. Not that I have to, its just something I can't stop myself from doing.

This is a picture I got from Google, but its the same exact watch I have.

nsH2e3u.jpg
I've heard good things about CW watches. I know keeping them to online sales keeps costs down but for those that like to try it on before purchase it makes it a difficult decision.

i think water does ruin leather bands over time. what is kind of dumb, is that my watch is water-proof, yet my band is leather, so it's inevitable that my band will wear out pretty bad. but you can always buy a new band. but i like the original band my watch came with.

If you're in the 300-500 range for something that looks and feels like a $1000+ watch, Bulova is your friend.

The Bulova Precisionist Cronograph is from $699 to $350 on Amazon.

99955642_v_1423890527.jpg

I've owned 3 Bulova watches and I've loved them all and they're all still ticking.

i think water does ruin leather bands over time. what is kind of dumb, is that my watch is water-proof, yet my band is leather, so it's inevitable that my band will wear out pretty bad. but you can always buy a new band. but i like the original band my watch came with.

Technically the term waterproof as used with watches is a misnomer. Eventually, with time...any watch will allow water in if it is not properly maintained (including changing gaskets and seals every 2-5 years). If you dive, it's the ISO rating that indicates the atmospheric pressure which a watch can handle before it lets water in. It's the ISO (International Organization for Standardization) which prohibited the term waterproof to be used with watches in 1990.

The ratcheting silicone strap that I want for one of my watches is $300. Crazy I know.

Really crazy that a watch band costs several times what a leather belt does.

Technically the term waterproof as used with watches is a misnomer. Eventually, with time...any watch will allow water in if it is not properly maintained (including changing gaskets and seals every 2-5 years). If you dive, it's the ISO rating that indicates the atmospheric pressure which a watch can handle before it lets water in. It's the ISO (International Organization for Standardization) which prohibited the term waterproof to be used with watches in 1990.

interesting. thanks for the info. on the back of mine, it says, "water resistant 100 meters". but i make it a point to avoid water with my watch, anyway. i really like the one i have, so don't want to take the chance.

Really crazy that a watch band costs several times what a leather belt does.
That's true.... Part of it is the technology that goes into it. The other part is the name that's on it. One of my watches has lugs that aren't standard. It's either buy a factory made strap and pay the price or go custom. Right now I'm sticking with the bracelet that came on it. Might get the strap after a bit.

Back