Buying a new watch for $300-$500

Goonerview

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
i want a new watch, something stylish and that can go well with a suit, but also cool enough to go well with a pair of jeans and a coat/cardigan.

Looking for something with a stainless steel, silvery color band, with round dial/face in black.

Would like a mechanical as opposed to Quartz, movement as they are more cool IMO.

Been looking at Hamilton and Citizen watches.

Anyone got any advice on this? Thanks in advance!

Looking to spend 300- 500 dollars, want some something nice, but not too expensive that I'm scared to wear it in case it breaks or I come across as too snooty.

I bought this one for ~$650 and it's my favorite. I'm not sure what this would be in the UK as I'm in the USA but look into Victorinox.

juEYdhA.jpg

I bought this one for ~$650 and it's my favorite. I'm not sure what this would be in the UK as I'm in the USA but look into Victorinox.

juEYdhA.jpg
Looks nice! Solid looking watch.

Another personal preference of mine is that I like numbers printed on the face.

just my opinion, silver or stainless steel is really out of style for a band. you need to go gold or genuine leather.

here's a few examples of nice watches in your price range.

www.amazon.com/Watch-Magasin-lFashion-Mechanical-Wristwatches/dp/B015NSO46Y/ref=sr_1_125?ie=UTF8&qid=1455629887&sr=8-125&keywords=brown+leather+mechanical+watch

www.amazon.com/Bulova-96A172-Leather-Alligator-Brown/dp/B014MA3TBK/ref=sr_1_137?ie=UTF8&qid=1455630040&sr=8-137&keywords=brown+leather+mechanical+watch

I prefer leather band personally its stylish, elegant, classy and goes well with everything except thug wear

Last edited:
Need to see a picture of you so we can see what kind of watches would suit you and

And it's £

Wow, they are some sick looking watches!!

At the moment, I own a digital G-shock in black, which goes well with everything I wear (and isn't too bulky like they can be).

I also own an automatic mechanical leather strap, Swiss made watch by a company called Balco. It recharges itself when I wear it and move around. I like the sound and way the mechanical watches move. They do seem more sophisticated.

So, I wanted to buy a silver/stainless steel strap as I just don't have one and want that option for my wardrobe. They also look cool.

The citizen watches were solar powered which is a nice touch.

Last edited:
i want a new watch, something stylish and that can go well with a suit, but also cool enough to go well with a pair of jeans and a coat/cardigan.

Looking for something with a stainless steel, silvery color band, with round dial/face in black.

Would like a mechanical as opposed to Quartz, movement as they are more cool IMO.

Been looking at Hamilton and Citizen watches.

Anyone got any advice on this? Thanks in advance!

Looking to spend 300- 500 dollars, want some something nice, but not too expensive that I'm scared to wear it in case it breaks or I come across as too snooty.
I hear these are making quite a comeback...

330.jpg

Need to see a picture of you so we can see what kind of watches would suit you and

And it's £
My location on here says uk, but I actually live in Japan, so that would be yen.

And it's £
I'm tall, slim build, fair-haired, fair-skinned.

I'm not posting pics on here. But I've been compared to Andrew Garfield, Benedict Cumberbact, in terms of looking like a famous person.

Hamilton makes great watches. I have the top one, with the 2824 swiss movement ....which is bulletproof. I've had mine for 5 years and still going strong.

This one is the field. I was tempted to get the Officer chrono as well but this watch meets all my needs. The pilot and team earth also look amazing IRL. Go to your local watch shop and try them on. They are stunning.

Oh, I paid $500 for mine at the dealer. You could probably get it for less online.

HKO44x03.jpg

I almost got this too, but I make too many impulse purchases...I had to stop myself.
756142d1388496028-hamilton-khaki-pioneer-chronograph-in-der-harrison-ford-edition-image.jpg

This one should also be in your price range. Might be able to snag it from a watch forum for cheap.
DSC_8305.jpg

And the tissot...but it's not really a casual wear watch. Hamilton is my go to for any occasion.
IMG_9134.JPG

Hamilton makes great watches. I have the top one, with the 2824 swiss movement ....which is bulletproof. I've had mine for 5 years and still going strong.

This one is the field. I was tempted to get the Officer chrono as well but this watch meets all my needs. The pilot and team earth also look amazing IRL. Go to your local watch shop and try them on. They are stunning.

Oh, I paid $500 for mine at the dealer. You could probably get it for less online.

HKO44x03.jpg

I almost got this too, but I make too many impulse purchases...I had to stop myself.
756142d1388496028-hamilton-khaki-pioneer-chronograph-in-der-harrison-ford-edition-image.jpg
damn, that first watch is beautiful.

Thats just the kind of watch i want! May have to search around for that. Battery powered watches are cool, too. But there is something about the craftsmanship of an automatic-mechanical watch that gives me a hard on!

I already own one of them kind of watches and it's cool

You could probably buy them cheaper online, but I want to buy mine from a reputable dealer, just for peace of mind.

I'm also looking at Citizen eco drive watches, too. They seem pretty over-loaded with numbers and hands (I personaly like a more simple design), but they have a few nice models.

Last edited:
damn, that first watch is beautiful.

Thats just the kind of watch i want! May have to search around for that. Battery powered watches are cool, too. But there is something about the craftsmanship of an automatic-mechanical watch that gives me a hard on!

I already own one of them kind of watches and it's cool

You could probably buy them cheaper online, but I want to buy mine from a reputable dealer, just for peace of mind.

I'm also looking at Citizen eco drive watches, too. They seem pretty over-loaded with numbers and hands (I personaly like a more simple design), but they have a few nice models.

Citizen makes solid watches too but those entry level swiss watches are on another level.

If you are looking for a utilitarian watch, the Nighthawk (Left of the Breitling) is one of the best for the price. It looks sleek and the bracelet is one of the most comfortable bracelets I've worn. You're right though the Citizen chronos watch face was too 'busy' for my tastes. I gave mine away to an ex-gf.

NHBNSF1.jpg

BTW, unless your watch is 'chromed out' or encrusted with diamonds, you won't really look snooty. Plenty of people think I wear a Rolex when I'm wearing my Tissot Le Locle on but that's because of how I carry myself.

Last edited:
Citizen makes solid watches too but those entry level swiss watches are on another level.

If you are looking for a utilitarian watch, the Nighthawk (Left of the Breitling) is one of the best for the price. It looks sleek and the bracelet is one of the most comfortable bracelets I've worn. You're right though the Citizen chronos watch face was too 'busy' for my tastes. I gave mine away to an ex-gf.

NHBNSF1.jpg

BTW, unless your watch is 'chromed out' or encrusted with diamonds, you won't really look snooty. Plenty of people think I wear a Rolex when I'm wearing my Tissot Le Locle on but that's because of how I carry myself.
That citizen on the left, does look really nice too! Yeah, Silver band with a black face is a good style I think.

Thanks for your advice so far, I think I will buy an automatic watch. and I think the poster earlier posted some "skeleton watch" designs that I think I should check out, they look awesome!

Leaning more towards the hamilton khaki auto. Also gotta consider how the silver band compliments the clothes in my wardrobe. But, as I said earlier, I already have a nice leather strap, automatic swiss made watch, so I'm in the market for something a little different.

Back