Buying a new watch for $300-$500

damn, that first watch is beautiful.

Thats just the kind of watch i want! May have to search around for that. Battery powered watches are cool, too. But there is something about the craftsmanship of an automatic-mechanical watch that gives me a hard on!

I already own one of them kind of watches and it's cool

You could probably buy them cheaper online, but I want to buy mine from a reputable dealer, just for peace of mind.

I'm also looking at Citizen eco drive watches, too. They seem pretty over-loaded with numbers and hands (I personaly like a more simple design), but they have a few nice models.

You and I have very similar tastes it seems. This one here is way out of my price range but I want it so bad.

0606551w_LRG_rgb_Web.jpg

It's so beautiful but MSRP is $2,499

TS... Just remember that everybody is going to have an opinion. I've read bad things about every brand out there. Go try on some watches. Find a size and style that you like.
You and I have very similar tastes it seems. This one here is way out of my price range but I want it so bad.

0606551w_LRG_rgb_Web.jpg

Can be had for under $1600. Just do it man.

damn, that first watch is beautiful.

Thats just the kind of watch i want! May have to search around for that. Battery powered watches are cool, too. But there is something about the craftsmanship of an automatic-mechanical watch that gives me a hard on!

I already own one of them kind of watches and it's cool

You could probably buy them cheaper online, but I want to buy mine from a reputable dealer, just for peace of mind.

I'm also looking at Citizen eco drive watches, too. They seem pretty over-loaded with numbers and hands (I personaly like a more simple design), but they have a few nice models.
I understand about wanting to buy from an authorized dealer.... Just wanted to let you know that I haven't had one issue with buying my last 6 watches online. I actually have an Oris in route to my house now. The markup at some dealers can be ridiculous.

Waste of money.

Wearing a $300-500 watch is just advertising the fact that you can't afford a $3-5k watch. Save up and buy Cartier or a Rolex.

Buying a 5k watch is a waste of money. Advertising the fact that you can't afford a 20k watch ... See how this works?? No matter how rich you think you are, there is always someone with more money than you.

Like I said in the op, I want a nice watch, but not one that is so expensive that I would feel paranoid if it broke or I lost it. I also don't want to come across as too snooty, so something that is entry-range price, but looks sleek and is nice, simple design, swiss mechanics, is what I'm in the market for.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like a Rolex, they are a well-built and the kind of item that can be handed down through the family. I'm just not in the market for one as of now.

Last edited:
I understand about wanting to buy from an authorized dealer.... Just wanted to let you know that I haven't had one issue with buying my last 6 watches online. I actually have an Oris in route to my house now. The markup at some dealers can be ridiculous.
Good advice, I will look into to and see how much the mark up is and see if it's worth it.

0606551w_LRG_rgb_Web.jpg

I'm an outsider so keep that in mind, but what in that watch makes it worth $2500?

hahah - but to answer you; automatics are generally more than quartz due to more parts and precision required to accurately keep time, In-house movements are usually higher regarded than generic Swiss or Japanese movements like the Swiss ETA. Swiss usually cost more than Japanese - prestige and heritage is another thing that comes into play. The Swiss/Euro brands have made most of the innovations that made automatic watches what they are today, the Japanese have been able to produce very high quality at a lower cost as well as some modern innovations and in-house movements.

Heritage/Prestige/Brand Identity/Resale Value/Materials/It's Stupid and Watches Really Aren't Worth What They Cost.

hahah - but to answer you; automatics are generally more than quartz due to more parts and precision required to accurately keep time, In-house movements are usually higher regarded than generic Swiss or Japanese movements like the Swiss ETA. Swiss usually cost more than Japanese - prestige and heritage is another thing that comes into play. The Swiss/Euro brands have made most of the innovations that made automatic watches what they are today, the Japanese have been able to produce very high quality at a lower cost as well as some modern innovations and in-house movements.

Heritage/Prestige/Brand Identity/Resale Value/Materials/It's Stupid and Watches Really Aren't Worth What They Cost.
Yeah, automatics feel like the watch is more "alive" and has a soul to it. You can hear/see the cogs turning.

I currently rock a black g-shock on the regular(a sleeker, not so bulky version, for the practicality and it looks nice and goes with almost all my outfits!), I like it but I'm in the market for something more dapper.

Last edited:
What do you guys know about Omega watches? I like my watches to be simple, but I like some of their designs with the silver band and blue/navy face. It might suit my style more than a black face, but would need to try it on first.

Back