But Boxers Make More Than UFC Fighters!

The UFC prelims are high level MMA.

Fighters can try out different promoters in boxing

Actually LHW is one of the most stacked divisions in boxing right now. A lot of talent coming up. Beterbiev, Gvozdyk, Shabranskyy... Then there's Stevenson, Ward and Kovalev. Chilemba, Fonfara and Pascal are decent too. If they'll fight each other in the next years it will be great for boxing.
Too many promotional issues though, I don't really rate the likes of Fonfara & Pascal but I'm interested to see the future of Beterbiev.

Yeah, okay.

In 2010, the nearly 400 pro boxers in Nevada earned $38,655,936 — an average of more than $98,000 a bout. Not bad — but declaring an “average” boxing payout is a bit like stating the average height of LeBron James and a jockey is 6-foot-2.

In fact, most of that money — $22,224,850 — went to one man: Floyd Mayweather. Perhaps this explains his incendiary tendencies. All told, the 20 highest-paid boxers earned 93 percent of the money — leaving the remaining 370-odd fighters to tussle for $2.6 million. That’s an average of $7,070 a bout. But even that payout is overstated: Median compensation turns out to be just $2,375. Last year, after beating Mario Ramos in Reno, Mayfield pocketed a $2,425 net contestant’s share.

Boxing, it turns out, is a striking example of what economist Sherwin Rosen dubbed “the economics of superstars,” where certain fields are dominated by a handful of elites. In such a scenario, even marginal differences in talent result in massive disparities in compensation.Hypothetically, it would mean a lawyer who wins 5 percent more of his cases than the average attorney would command far greater than 5 percent above the average compensation. And while Pacquiao isn’t 2,000 times more talented than Mayfield, he did earn 2,000 times more from his last fight.In sports and culture, the monopolization of earnings is an accepted reality — and it’s growing. Princeton economist Alan Krueger calculated that the top 1 percent of musicians amassed 26 percent of concert revenue in 1982, and 56 percent in 2003. In the book The Winner-Take-All Society, professors Robert Frank and Philip Cook argue that the harsh inequalities of superstar economics are now firmly entrenched in the American mainstream. Income disparities are skyrocketing — and are doing so within many professions. Per the World Top Incomes Database, the income share of the nation’s wealthiest 5 percent has jumped from 21 percent in 1978 to 33 percent in 2008. Both Frank and Cook tell SF Weekly that the American economy is growing more like boxing.
Source

Too many promotional issues though, I don't really rate the likes of Fonfara & Pascal but I'm interested to see the future of Beterbiev.

I'm interested in how Gvozdyk will do.

Let's not forget who the real LHW diamond is though, the Cuban amateur Julio Cesar La Cruz (born in 1989) who will compete at the Olympics. Let's hope he defects and turns pro, him fighting Ward and Kovalev could be boxing classics.

Why do people feel compelled to discuss the salaries of jobs they would never be able to land?

crawford just made $1.3 mill for his bout against postol like two weeks ago

I'm interested in how Gvozdyk will do.

Let's not forget who the real LHW diamond is though, the Cuban amateur Julio Cesar La Cruz (born in 1989) who will compete at the Olympics. Let's hope he defects and turns pro, him fighting Ward and Kovalev could be boxing classics.

Is he fighting in Rio? I don't follow much amateur boxing unless it's somebody I know.

This is Ward's 4th tune up fight in a row lol

2nd tune up this year and it's good that he took them. Last year he had a tune up fight with Paul Smith and before that he didn't fight for 2 years because of some promotional issues that went to court.

Also, he's going up in weight.

Boxing fans give him a pass for this because we all want both him and Kovalev to be at 100% in november, no use to see a rusty Ward getting KOd.

So low tier boxers make less then free ? do they they pay to fight ?

Who says anything about free?

And it is quite possible that some people end up in the red for fighting. Former UFC fighter John Cholish mentioned that he loses money for fighting. It is quite possible that some boxers lose money to fight in that their purse isn't enough to recuperate whatever expenses they put into training, travelling, medical, etc.

850k is bad? LOL

30k for someone who literally nobody has heard of is bad? LOL

in the ufc ward would get 50k and the guy he fought 5k

Why would someone like Ward be fighting a nobody?
Ward used this guy, a former sparring partner, for a tune-up before his mega fight in a couple months. This guy is a nobody. A legitimate sparring partner.

It's a tune up fight for monster Kovalev in fall.

He's shaking the ring rust, the fact that he has another fight booked already tells you how big of a bum this Alexander Brand is.

Also, the fact that Ward is still making almost a mil for this joke of a fight pretty much proves that boxing pays MUCH better than MMA.

That's like RDA being paid a million to fight Artem Lobov while already being booked to fight Khabib in november.
Excellent comparison. How much did Lobov make I his fight anyway?

werdum hw champ of the world made 165k in his last fight
klitschko hw champ of the world made 23 mill in his last fight

this kind of arguing is pointless lol ts is a grade a goof
I think this should kill this argument for good... But I know it won't.

The UFC prelims are high level MMA.

Fighters can try out different promoters in boxing
This.

Alexander Brand equivalent of MMA wouldnt even make it to UFC.

The actual outrage is WTF is Andre Ward doing vs a 100-1 underdog?

I teach MMA based fighting.

When I have guys or girls that I think would do well in boxing, I take them down to Tocco's Gym here in Vegas and insist that they box, purely because I care about them and it will give them a better life.

Ask Luis, he is a mod here and he is a trainer at Tocco's.

Back