Burpee Conditioning == HIIT?

Jimmy Cerra

Amateur Fighter
@Black
Reaction score
Is wasn't spelled out in the FAQ, but are the sample routines of Burpee Conditioning good HIIT sessions (with running as a warm-up/cool-down)? Often we will do 3-4 rounds of that at the end of TKD practice.

Yeah, if you do it right Burpees are HIIT

yeh man thats a form of HIIT, wow your TKD gym has better conditioning drills than all of the boxing gyms i've been to.

Thanks! Ya, at the end of TKD practice there are often only two of us left finishing those burpees!

When i was younger and used to play soccer we used to do 3 sets of pushups sit up and burpees at the end of the training session and i can tell u man they destroy u.

Burpees are one of the best conditioning tools I have ever used (next to tabata). No equipment needed is great too.

Muwhahah......... I love making you do burpee drills . However Jim, we must work up to 7- 2 minute rounds

I just started doing the burpee drills the other day. As of now, my fat ass can only handle 4 x 2 min rounds with 30 sec burpee, 30 sec jump as the intervals. My goal is to get to a 30 sec break between rounds by the end of next week instead of the minute I use now. I dunno how well I will be able to achieve that though.

I do this burpee routine at least twice a week,

5 burpees, 10 push ups
5 burpees, 10 push ups
10 burpees, 10 push ups
10 burpees, 10 push ups
15 burpees, 10 push ups
20 burpees, 10 push ups
15 burpees, 10 push ups
10 burpees, 10 push ups
10 burpees, 10 push ups
5 burpees, 10 push ups
5 burpees, 10 push ups

i try to improve the time it takes me to do this all the way through every time.....i think the last time i did it it took like 16 minutes or something.

largeli said:

5 burpees, 10 push ups
5 burpees, 10 push ups
10 burpees, 10 push ups
10 burpees, 10 push ups
15 burpees, 10 push ups
20 burpees, 10 push ups
15 burpees, 10 push ups
10 burpees, 10 push ups
10 burpees, 10 push ups
5 burpees, 10 push ups
5 burpees, 10 push ups

i try to improve the time it takes me to do this all the way through every time.....i think the last time i did it it took like 16 minutes or something.

Holy crap, this is insane. Looks good though, I think I'll make this my goal. Maybe I'll start with doing 5-10-15-10-5, that should be good. Prepare for pain!

largeli said:

5 burpees, 10 push ups
5 burpees, 10 push ups
10 burpees, 10 push ups
10 burpees, 10 push ups
15 burpees, 10 push ups
20 burpees, 10 push ups
15 burpees, 10 push ups
10 burpees, 10 push ups
10 burpees, 10 push ups
5 burpees, 10 push ups
5 burpees, 10 push ups

got it down to 13 minutes yesterday!

largeli said:
got it down to 13 minutes yesterday!

You're a stud, dude.

I think I'm gonna start an ultimate burpee routine, maybe the Mike Mahler variation (I can't say I've liked much else of his I've read).

largeli said:

5 burpees, 10 push ups
5 burpees, 10 push ups
10 burpees, 10 push ups
10 burpees, 10 push ups
15 burpees, 10 push ups
20 burpees, 10 push ups
15 burpees, 10 push ups
10 burpees, 10 push ups
10 burpees, 10 push ups
5 burpees, 10 push ups
5 burpees, 10 push ups

12 minutes 25 seconds today!!!

today i think i might try some jumping pushup burpees. i'll do the 100 jumping pushup burpee challenge. bet you it'll take me all of 5 minutes

OpethDrums said:
today i think i might try some jumping pushup burpees. i'll do the 100 jumping pushup burpee challenge. bet you it'll take me all of 5 minutes

can you break down the steps to a jumping push up burpee?

stand with feet together. or shoulder width i doubt it matters.

squat down and touch the floor

kick your legs back at the same time into a push-up position

execute push-up

pull legs back under you at the same time

stand up

then just perform a regular jump where you swing your arms forward

that's how i would do em. should be good enough.

i would touch my stomach and then raise my hands above my head with a normal burpee when i stood up but that's kind of done in the jumping movement.

stand, squat down w/hands flat on ground just outside your feet, kick feet back and land in a BOTTOM push up position, push up at the same time hopping back into the squat position w/hands flat on ground, spring up and leap into air w/hands above your head, when you land you will land into the squat position w/hands on ground and imediately sprawl again.

There is no pausing and no isolated push up. The movement is like a push up/mountain jumper/sprawl/squat jump all in one compound movement. it is all compound movement and non stop.

If i were to do the ones with the top push up position and isolated push up i would be a lot less exhausted and could get my burpee routine to below 11 and a half minutes im sure.

Back