building and strenthening shoulders?

AxeGrinder

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm trying to build up my shoulders and strenthen them...mostly to increase my punching power. I already do an incline press twice a week and uprights, is there anything else I could do to strenthen and build up my shoulders? thanks....

its all about the push press....

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/OlympicLifts/PushPress.html

and also, incline press is really more of a chest movement, unless your reeallly inclined, in which case its almost a military press sort of....which is really stupid

and upright rows work the back, the trapezius muscle. but its understandable as to why you would think its shoulders since you can see them from the front

Handstand push-ups, make your shoulders very strong, build then up too.

Good Luck

Incline press IS going to work the shoulders especially if you use heavy weight, also bench press of course. Upright row Will work your rear delts. However power cleans are my all time favorite exercise and not only have they made my rear delts huge, my entire back and hamstrings. I have a questoin however?
How is this going to increase your punching power?You don't punch with just your shoulders do you?You should think about doing power/compound movements. I never work my front delts. They are huge from simply benching. And throwing punches does work your shoulders but i'm not sure thats the apex thats going to generate more punching power, i suppose it could, but when you talk about increasing punching power...its a matter of technique, style, power, and some would say possibly genetic forces at work...its an interesting topic but not so simple to pin down.

most of the punching power comes from legs and core not the shoulder.

Push Presses will build up strength no doubt, but to buld your shoulders completely you need to do a variet of exercises that raget the different muscle groups in your shoulder

over the years I have had enough front deltoid work from overhead, incline & bench presses

so for the rest of my imbalanced shoulders I now focus on face pulls, bent rows as well as the reverse pec deck

If you stick to the basics you should be fine. My shoulders grew quite rapidly from the beginning of my intro to weights 10+ years ago. Mainly doing presses, incline/flat barbell and dumbell press as well as military press with barbell and dumbells, then again I usto military press over 275. On that note though my shoulders now get inflamed easily if i do alot of direct shoulder work, as someone has stated stick with the compound exercises and you should be fine, as well your punching power comes from the hips not your shoulder.

GL,
E

alright, thanks alot guys, and by increasing punching power I just meant from getting more mass, believe me I know you dont punch with your shoulders....

You aren't gonna build much shoulders with shrugs but you'll build some nice Traps

DB overhead press. gotta love em.

Are L-flyes any good ? Like a lateral raise but with a bent arm.

Zeirhk said:
Are L-flyes any good ? Like a lateral raise but with a bent arm.

not really an ideal exercise for strength.

Wrecking Ball said:
Building shoulders: Seated DB overhead press
Why do seated if you can stand?

I'm doing my Military Press seated at the moment due to a combination of low ceilings and long arms, but if you can do them standing there's no excuse not to.

Pressing is king, you wont need anything else

sitting behind the neck barbell presses
front barbell presses
standing barbell presses
smith front presses
smith behind the neck presses

(Important! only go to ear level and then back up to avoid injury on all shoulder pressing movements)

Liver throw has either successfully trolled or has given some of the worst advice I've ever seen on this board...

LiverThrow said:
Pressing is king, you wont need anything else

sitting behind the neck barbell presses
front barbell presses
standing barbell presses
smith front presses
smith behind the neck presses

(Important! only go to ear level and then back up to avoid injury on all shoulder pressing movements)

Behind the neck anything is asking for it
smith machine is gay and I mean GAY, if you can't handle the poundage with free weights you have no business trying it on smith machine

My favorites where military press in front of head although I usto do behind once in a while and regret it now with my shoulder problems

and dumbell presses you can't go wrong

Back