building and strenthening shoulders?

arnold dumb. press

T-Man said:
standing military press... push press looks good too tho

Push Press is more power-oriented, and incorporates more muscles (i.e. the legs). Standing Military Press is one of the best overall lifts, period, and depending on the cadence, is better for developing strength resistance. As a fighter, you need both, but I'm a firm believer in supercore lifts, so I try to make PP the heart of my shoulder regimen. After that, though, my main lift is the Overhead DB Press (standing or seated, depending on my goals for that session).

PP won't be as effective in building mass, though, if that's what you're trying to do first (to increase the potential for strength through leverage).

I've always hated the Smith Machine. I don't see a point in it if you're not a bodybuilder, except for the occassional spike in weight to get you off a plateau.

Don't go behind your head.

Also, if you're really after hypertrophy, Steering Wheels are great to do immediately after a pressing movement.

Funkster said:
Why do seated if you can stand?

I'm doing my Military Press seated at the moment due to a combination of low ceilings and long arms, but if you can do them standing there's no excuse not to.

Because you can handle more poundage seated. I agree standing should be utilized more often, especially by athletes, but seated lifts have their function, too.

Oh yeah, I also like doing the Overhead DB Press on the swiss ball, but with lower poundages and higher reps (since you aren't stable, I think this is just smart...plus, you have to go longer to feel it in your core, anyway).

Back