Bryan Barberena x Warlley Alves official for UFC Brazil (198)!

I don't buy Alves as an effective striker. He's a brawler and Barberena will only welcome him in brawl (and Barberena is much better in the clinch anyway). Of course, he's going to win the first round because Barberena is a slow starter. After that, Barberena will push the pace and Alves will drop the pace because he doesn't have a deep gas tank. I thought Alves lost to Jouban exactly this way.

alves is a 3x kick boxing champ in Brazil if you think he's just a brawler you haven't seen enough of him yet

damn Dana wants fucking blood Warley Alves is a beast

It's a very winnable fight for Barbarena, and if he gets it, and spoils another unbeaten record, it'll give the UFC a promotional hook they can work with.

They probably will throw him to the wolves to get the 0-2, cut him and say the win against Sage was a fluke

alves is a 3x kick boxing champ in Brazil if you think he's just a brawler you haven't seen enough of him yet

Uh-huh, and Fabio Maldonado is a 22-0 boxer in Brazil, except he fought absolute cans. Brazil isn't usually the place where boxing/kickboxing/MT accolades mean much IMO. The only decent striker (also a brawler in heart) Alves fought in the UFC was Jouban and I thought he lost this fight, so...

Uh-huh, and Fabio Maldonado is a 22-0 boxer in Brazil, except he fought absolute cans. Brazil isn't usually the place where boxing/kickboxing/MT accolades mean much IMO. The only decent striker (also a brawler in heart) Alves fought in the UFC was Jouban and I thought he lost this fight, so...

he beat Jouban. I scored it for Alves and so did the judges. I just think maybe you haven't seen many of his fights or watched him on tuf because it's pretty obvious he's a very good striker. if you think barberena is going to out strike him you really have no idea how good Alves striking is

Wow, I can't believe it. Sherdog was right. This is one dark day in human history.

he beat Jouban. I scored it for Alves and so did the judges. I just think maybe you haven't seen many of his fights or watched him on tuf because it's pretty obvious he's a very good striker. if you think barberena is going to out strike him you really have no idea how good Alves striking is

I thought that Alves beat Jouban in the first round and then gassed and Jouban picked him apart with crips kicks and straight punches. mmadecision.com doesn't work, so I can't refer to media scores, except for our Sherdog pbp score (http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/UF...yPlay-Updates-76695#warlley-alves-alan-jouban ) and BloodyElbow score (http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/11/...-shogun-vs-st-preux-live-results-play-by-play) - both for Jouban as well. I've seen his UFC fights and those are the only ones that matter. Beating up regional guys or TUF prospects (especially with 2 rounds format that highly benefits fast starters like Alves) doesn't say anything about the ability to beat UFC fighters who are by default better and tougher due to natural selection. For every Thomas Almeida there are 10 Julio Cezar Neveses. I guess only the actual fight (which is whole 3 months away) can put an end to this conversation that goes nowhere.

Last edited:
I thought that Alves beat Jouban in the first round and then gassed and Jouban picked him apart with crips kicks and straight punches. mmadecision.com doesn't work, so I can't refer to media scores, except for our Sherdog pbp score (http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/UF...yPlay-Updates-76695#warlley-alves-alan-jouban ) and BloodyElbow score (http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/11/...-shogun-vs-st-preux-live-results-play-by-play) - both for Jouban as well. I've seen his UFC fights and those are the only ones that matter. Beating up regional guys or TUF prospects (especially with 2 rounds format that highly benefits fast starters like Alves) doesn't say anything about the ability to beat UFC fighters who are by default better and tougher due to natural selection. For every Thomas Almeida there are 10 Julio Cezar Neveses. I guess only the actual fight (which is whole 3 months away) can put an end to this conversation that goes nowhere.

well if you can't recognize striking skill I don't know what to tell you. you will see it eventually because he's still young and will be around awhile.

Can you imagine if it was Sage facing Alves, what a beatdown that would be.

So many upset little fanboys in this thread...

They don't realise that if Barberena gets destroyed it's gonna make Sage look even worse.

War Barberena.

Oh, I forgot to say, but Alves by guillotine

Back