• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Bruce Lee on the Heavy Bag

Exactly...but the reality is none of us know his actual skill. What we do know is the positive impact he left on martial arts as a whole is beyond scope. By judging him by a couple minute clip without knowing any context is ignorant to say the least. I've been training martial arts since I was 9 and I'm 31 now, it is beyond ridiculous to me when douches spout out at the mouth how they would wipe their ass with Bruce. And there justification is that they train mma so they know what their talking about lol

The bolded part is the part that bothers me the most about some of his fans. He is an unproven fighter. To insist that he would smoke the greatest proven fighters of any era is really irritating to me. Far more irittating that someone saying they would beat Lee in a fight because they currently train.

Relax, stud.

I know trolling in the heavies can get tiresome, but could you go leave comments on Youtube or something? I like this subforum a lot, and your annoying troll account is getting... well, pretty damn annoying.

I'm not comparing Lee to anything; you are.

Lee was an actor and a Martial Artist of yesteryear. Do you honestly think Jackie Chan, Wesley Snipes, Jean Claude Van Damme or Jet Li would be able to fight ANYONE as well based off their mastery of Wushu/karate/kung fu?

Here's a good one. Ever hear of Ron Van Clief?
I have. He was also a Kung Fu film star who displayed some excellent technique ON SCREEN. The difference would be that Clief actually competed in Karate tournaments and won loads of them. That's more than what I could actually say about Lee other than his Karate Tourney wins in Long beach, CA.

Guess what?
He was easily taken out by Royce Gracie in UFC.

I refuse to indulge in this thread any longer.
You're exactly what's wrong with Bruce Lee fans or anything that concerns Lee's legacy. You, much like any fanatic are willing to exaggerate, speculate and defend someone you consider "the greatest" based on nothing.
In truth, Lee fanboys have ZERO proof Bruce fought or beat anyone other than hearsay/legend and romanticism with the characters he portrayed.

You should learn to appreciate Lee for who he WAS rather than what you want him to be.

In closing, Lee would've easily been beaten by Benny the Jet.

Are you serious? Van Damme has an 18-1 record you ignorant fool. Just because these guys starred in movies does not mean they can't fight in real life. I'm 7-0 in muay thai, that doesn't mean I'm gonna run through martial artists whose been training for 25+ years cuz I saw them on a screen. Myself and a lot of other ppl on this board train and fight, been doing it for years. Please stfu.

Are you serious? Van Damme has an 18-1 record you ignorant fool. Just because these guys starred in movies does not mean they can't fight in real life. I'm 7-0 in muay thai, that doesn't mean I'm gonna run through martial artists whose been training for 25+ years cuz I saw them on a screen. Myself and a lot of other ppl on this board train and fight, been doing it for years. Please stfu.

You shooting for kiddie points or what?

Big deal, you trumped me on Van Damme's kickboxing record (lulz as if yesteryear kickboxing even compares to modern mma), you want a high five, studster?

Here's the thing, I'm 269lbs (yep, just weighed myself earlier) and I look sexy like Roy Nelson with fuzzy chesthairs. Do I think I'm badass? I'm 2-0, so I guess that says enough. Could I kick Lee's ass? Sure.
I'd do it Lindland style.

My ground game is great, my stand up is decent and I have a good chin...although I'm sure I will lose one day...with that said, I'm still not gonna believe in cinema kung fu heroes lol.

I'll bet you and the rest of these Lee fanatics believe Jet Li actually floats in mid air while kicking a guy 100 times. :icon_chee

You suck, brah. You're a ph@g.

You shooting for kiddie points or what?

Big deal, you trumped me on Van Damme's kickboxing record (lulz as if yesteryear kickboxing even compares to modern mma), you want a high five, studster?

Here's the thing, I'm 269lbs (yep, just weighed myself earlier) and I look sexy like Roy Nelson with fuzzy chesthairs. Do I think I'm badass? I'm 2-0, so I guess that says enough. Could I kick Lee's ass? Sure.
I'd do it Lindland style.

My ground game is great, my stand up is decent and I have a good chin...although I'm sure I will lose one day...with that said, I'm still not gonna believe in cinema kung fu heroes lol.

I'll bet you and the rest of these Lee fanatics believe Jet Li actually floats in mid air while kicking a guy 100 times. :icon_chee

You suck, brah. You're a ph@g.
Who the fuck says "yesteryear"?... Suck my dick:)

Who the fuck says "yesteryear"?... Suck my dick:)

audience.gif

Holy thread resurrection Batman.

Holy thread resurrection Batman.

I was about to say, some evil necromancers using their magic in the striking forum. So many zombie threads being brought back.

For the record, TS was a hater. Obviously he's not Mayweather, but Bruce had formal boxing training and in this vid was clearly just wailing at the bag, similar to how Dempsey would.

Well, the ONLY thing I don't like about his punches is how far onto the front foot he goes. But otherwise elbows are down, punches are straight, if he hit you it would have hurt.

I think he sparred with a few champions, including Chuck, and Chuck said Bruce was that good.

I'll take Chuck's word for it

He was very very big on sparring, with contact.

There's no happy medium with Bruce. Everything is conjecture and is either he mops the floor with Chuck Norris, Roberto Duran, and Jon Jones on the same day or he's a bum who couldn't beat his meat.

The fact is the guy knew how to fight for the most part, he just never really had to apply it or have it tested so there's no truly accurate gauge for his fighting prowess. He did a lot of things right, he did a lot of things wrong, but judging him based solely on this or his demos at Long Beach isn't really a good method.

Also keep in mind that footage was shot around 1966. Lee did become better closer to the end.

It's hilarious how much people think they know about him relative to his off-screen skills. The only people that know how good he was were those close to him, or those that fought him. That's it.

That video in particular has always looked to me like he was just hitting the back with no intended form or reason. He's just hitting it. That's it. It was part of other footage where he was practicing in his backyard with other friends and associates.

FWIW...I've read many interviews of those that actually knew him, and they all say he was the real deal. His fights were real fights, not sport fights. Chuck has said he was great. Other sifu's have suggested that Bruce (in his teens) was great but not invincible. Opinions will vary based on their memory and attitude. He'd get into road rage fights on the street. He'd get into fights with other martial artists on set, he'd had a formal fight with Wong Jack Man which in all accounts says he barely won ala a good ol' ground and pound. However contrary to the movie he actually hurt his back doing good-mornings and using too much weight. He didn't get kicked in the back like the movie suggested. That and the fight actually took place at another school...not some secret underground fight club.

But I've said it before...I like Bruce Lee because of his charisma, his obsessive love of martial arts, and his ability to inspire. I don't believe the whole amalgamation of styles was a significant factor in that many people have done the same in times past...just that they didn't have the fame to spread it like he did. Benny the Jet was alive around that time frame, and was an accomplished Karateka and Judoka. He created his own style as well...but lacked Bruce's charisma and far reaching status.

Back