Brown Rice v White Rice?

Typically insulin spike = you want to go to sleep. If I'm not mistaken it's the reason behind the sugar crash. Your insulin goes up, you go down.

And if you ate better carb sources you'd have MUCH more sustaining energy and no energy crashes.

I love brown rice. To me it tastes better especially in a pressure cooker. I haven't eaten white rice in around two or three years.

Zeirhk said:
I've been eating the WRONG type of carbs all year long. FUck.

Before workout: Pasta +3 boiled eggs. Although sometimes 2 bagels.

After workout: Usually White rice.

If I ate a better source of carbs would I feel that I've got a better workout? What does an insulin spike feel like anyways ?

I think u shld reverse it. White before for the spike 4 ya workout, Eggs later for protein.

Still, am quite surprised by number of westerners eating rice. Tot their staple was Fries, Bread and steak.

To make your brown rice taste better, use sodium-free/fat free chicken broth instead of water when cooking. It makes a world of difference, doesn't add a significant amount of calories or fat, and gives your rice a ton of flavor.

thecas said:
I think u shld reverse it. White before for the spike 4 ya workout, Eggs later for protein.

Still, am quite surprised by number of westerners eating rice. Tot their staple was Fries, Bread and steak.

I'd love to have steak as a staple but it's way too expensive for that. A good steak is 2-3x the price of a chicken breast.

i love brown rice too, and i think it even taste better. so its a win win situation for me

thecas said:

Then the crash occurs after your workout when your muscles need to repair.

Eat low-Gi before you workout, high-Gi immediately after.

Madmick said:
Then the crash occurs after your workout when your muscles need to repair.

Eat low-Gi before you workout, high-Gi immediately after.

I was thinking u need much more enerygy to workout than repair. Hence the high GI for the workout. no?

thecas said:
I was thinking u need much more enerygy to workout than repair. Hence the high GI for the workout. no?

Drink Pedialyte during workouts to maintain energy. It's a great product... if it weren't so expensive I'd drink half a gallon a day.

For the original poster - a great compromise between brown and white is 'Haiga' rice. Its basically a middle ground between brown and white, but imo tastes better than either (similar to white with a bit more flavor).

It preserves the rice germ and a bit more bran, and thus the higher nutritional profile as compared to white. You cook it just like white rice in the rice cooker.

Haiga - More Nutrients, Naturally!
Haiga is California rice's answer to customers who prefer the taste of white rice but would like a nutritional value similar to brown rice. This new white rice product, which retains the rice germ, is now available in medium and short grain.

Benefits

Provides a new choice for customers who want white rice with fiber!

What is "HAIGA" rice? "HAIGA" is the word for "RICE GERM" in Japanese. Tamaki HAIGA rice is a fully milled kernel that retains its own rice germ. HAIGA rice tastes and cooks similar to Japanese rice, yet maintains many of the natural Vitamins and other nutrients. Rice germ contains Vitamin B1, B2, B6, and E as well as fiber. Tamaki HAIGA is made from the "Koshihikari" strain of rice, which is considered to be the premier strain of commercially cultivated short grain rice - there are over 300 different strains grown in Japan. A semi-transparent beige, this style of rice takes only a few minutes more to cook than white rice, and with the same amount of water. Once you taste it, you may never eat fully milled white rice again.

Also, here's a simple pic explaining the components of rice:

j_rice_4.gif

Anyway, my wife and I switched over to Haiga rice and haven't eaten white rice since...tastes better and better for you. Hope that helps!

thecas said:

Its not about the amount of energy the food has, but how fast it is absorbed into you bloodsteam and subsequently used up. Low GI foods will digest and be absorbed and used at a slower rate thus giving you a sustained, even amount of energy thoughout your workout, well any time of the day for that matter. If you eat a bunch of high gi food before your workout you will likely feel great for a little while then burnout. After your workout however your muscles are depleated and craving sustinance, thus a small amount of high gi food/drink after your workout is good because your starving cells need nourishment as fast as possible. As far as sugary sports drinks are concerned, they are best used for extend workouts where there is no way you could have eaten enough to sustain the energy levels needed to train for 2,3 or 4 hours straight. Ive heard apples and water are good to for these extended sessions in the gym also, but apples give me gas.

ToxxxicAvenger said:
To make your brown rice taste better, use sodium-free/fat free chicken broth instead of water when cooking. It makes a world of difference, doesn't add a significant amount of calories or fat, and gives your rice a ton of flavor.

I don't think I saw this before, this is an AWESOME idea.

Ha, and that "Haiga" sounds like the Wonderbread of rice!

in japan rice is more expensive than in canada. the "haiga" is more expensive than the regular white rice, and the hatsugamai is 2-3 times more expensive than regular white rice. hatsugamai is apparently easier to digest. the haiga is a middle ground between white and "brown" rice. i think that's how it works, a drunk nutrionist tried to explain it to me on day. i mix half and half haiga and hatsugamai, sometimes though i use white rice. like when a japanese girl comes over that's what she wants.

you can also make a batch of rice (white or brown, whatever) then wrap it in saran wrap in individual sized portions, then freeze it. they keep for a long time. that way, you can just nuke your rice quickly before dinner, while the white rice lovers can make their rice in the rice cooker. i make a week or two worth of brown rice, then freeze it. works a charm.

Wouldn't, for example the pasta's GI that I eat would change, since I am also eating 3 boiled eggs...or topping it off with a protein shake ?

I like to put raisins and honey in my brown rice. The raisins add some extra fiber (as I'm not a HUGE veggie fan), and the honey changes the taste, making it a bit sweeter. Honey is great for post workout as well.

neosamurai1979 said:
Does your wife know you call her "oriental"? It's Asian man!

True, but Tank666 is in the UK & when the Brits say "Asian" they're generally referring to someone of Indian or Pakistani descent.

Back