Brown Rice v White Rice?

supersudo said:
i'd say..

brown rice by armbar rd 1 :icon_chee

that would probably have made UFC 55 to be honest. :wink:

codysweet02 said:
Pretty sure white rice is simple sugar and brownrice is complex. This means it would make a diff, however i could be wrong about the simple/complex. Get Kabuki or Madmick in here, or hell search for it i bet you can find osmething.

Damn wtf are you sure about white rice are only simple sugars?

y'kno.. i've read on some GI charts that instant rice and sticky rice were somewhere close to 90-95..

Zeirhk said:

Yep. I didn't realize this either. Google 'white rice simple sugar'. There's a ton of info about it on the web. Looks like I need to make a trip to the grocery store today to pick up some brown rice. :)

jasond said:
Yep. I didn't realize this either. Google 'white rice simple sugar'. There's a ton of info about it on the web. Looks like I need to make a trip to the grocery store today to pick up some brown rice. :)

Damnit, I'll have to do that also. I used to eat Brown rice before, it's not really enjoyable to eat....switch back to white rice, and will have to switch back to brown !

One of the best parts of brown or wild rice is the quantity you can eat.

I can literally eat 4-5 cups of sticky white rice. It is my favorite thing in the world. (My mom's Japanese, so I grew up on it.) If I eat 1 or 2 cups of brown rice, I am full and don't crave anymore.

I certainly prefer white rice, but I largely eat brown rice. If I'm feeling the urge for white rice, I just do a mix half/half with brown and it does me good.

just an update finding brown rice much more filling. Can see how it is better for you, when preparing white rice always wash it first 3 times to get ride of all the gunk sticky crap within it. Went to wash the brown rice and nothing comes out. That alone convinces me not to eat white again. and thanx again to everyone for their advice.

neosamurai1979 said:
Does your wife know you call her "oriental"? It's Asian man!

not again! she is south east asian but i say oriental as its easier. she doesnt mind, and no i am not trying to be racist in any way! (have friends who are also asian but i call oriental as well.) :D

King Kabuki said:
The best way to cook Brown Rice if you want it the same texture and consistency of white is in a pressure cooker. The difference has already been stated. Brown or Long-grain Wild > White.

I need to get one of those things. My roommate freshmen year had one of those things. It's not even like the same food.

Pressure cooker= grubby.

Zeirhk said:

No, white rice is not simple sugars; however, due to the shelling of the bran, there is less fiber in white rice resulting in a higher GI index and load. So yes, it produces a greater insulin spike akin to that of sugars.

In fact, most rices contain almost no sugars.

Zeirhk said:

No! White rice is not a simple sugar. Simple sugars are found in candy, fruit juice, table sugar, etc. Just because white rice is a higher glycemic carb does not the make it a simple sugar.

As to the google search mentioned by another poster on the subject here's a cut and paste from it:

http://www.roex.com/Articles/Carbohydrates.htm

Refined complex carbohydrates to avoid include the following:

White flour
Cornstarch
White rice
Potato starch
Bread and crackers (white flour)
Pasta

Obviously not the best source of complex carbs but white rice is a complex carb nonetheless.

Valgarv said:

Hey Valgarv, where are you getting those GI numbers? What's your favorite online source for referencing GI?

Thanks to my NYU alum access, I was able to obtain a major Australian nutritional journal article by Jennie Brand that was one of the first to document a large list of foods' GI indices and loads, but it's messy as hell, and even glycemicindex.com isn't comprehensive at all.

Best way to choose carbs come from complex carbs, like brown rice, veggies, oat meal. wheat bread. This are the carbs you should focus and after lifting weights you should to simple carbs for the insulin spike!

Madmick said:
Hey Valgarv, where are you getting those GI numbers? What's your favorite online source for referencing GI?

Thanks to my NYU alum access, I was able to obtain a major Australian nutritional journal article by Jennie Brand that was one of the first to document a large list of foods' GI indices and loads, but it's messy as hell, and even glycemicindex.com isn't comprehensive at all.

I think I got it from the fda's website or an off-shoot. I'll check my favorites for you when I get to work tomorrow.

I've been eating the WRONG type of carbs all year long. FUck.

Before workout: Pasta +3 boiled eggs. Although sometimes 2 bagels.

After workout: Usually White rice.

If I ate a better source of carbs would I feel that I've got a better workout? What does an insulin spike feel like anyways ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back