• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Brook vs Spence

Brook's balls outweigh his fight IQ.

Honestly, I think there's something there, but it ought to be rephrased. Perhaps a better way of writing that would be: when Brook uses his brain, he's one of the better boxers out there; when his valour is the better part of his discretion, he throws away his greatest attribute.

If I were to indicate where Brook has more talent, it is in his mind more than in his body. People, for some reason either say he is overrated or that he doesn't have solid skills. He has a strong sense of distance, timing and punch placement. Thinking otherwise is disconcerting. His defense comes from how he manages the above, takes small steps when he maneuvers, reads his opponent, and uses his fundamentals. These things deny his opponent and thus become an indirect form of defense.

Brook is extremely talented and I would favor him against any other 147 fighter on the planet. He's got real good fight IQ, really good power, good counter punching , good head movement, foot work and balance, can throw single shots and in combination, and has a solid defense. Lets not diminish his talent because he lost to a monster in his division. Errol is gonna do the same to the rest of the 147 champions Kell was just the first to go.

Brook is extremely talented and I would favor him against any other 147 fighter on the planet. He's got real good fight IQ, really good power, good counter punching , good head movement, foot work and balance, can throw single shots and in combination, and has a solid defense. Lets not diminish his talent because he lost to a monster in his division. Errol is gonna do the same to the rest of the 147 champions Kell was just the first to go.
Spence is the best welterweight, I'm sure no one is crapping on brook, he's legit.

Spence is one of the top guys, I wouldnt call him THE best yet. He still has a variety of guys to go through first. And deal with the varying styles etc. from Porter to Danny Garcia to Thurman to Bradley, and even Pacman (if he still has it); all different styles of guys. Id like to see more diversity offensively out of Spence before I can eyetest him as the best guy at WW. I like Spence, but he's gotta do better at hitting and not getting hit imo.

This was a harder fight for E then Thurman will be

I agree on his jab. It's too robotic

I agree with your first point Errol's going to beat the hell out of Keith.

And Errol's Jab is fine and should be mentioned more as a Key factor in the fight. Errol used his Jab very effectively during the fight to batter Kell at range and set up his other shots. And Errols Jab was the punch that hurt Kell right before the knock down. I was surprised Errol did 'nt go to the body with his jab because I think he would have had more success earlier in the fight.

I think a lot of people might have argued that Brook had one of, if not the best, jab of any active WW going into the fight, and taking everything into account, Spence's jab was the more formidable weapon in their fight.

It should be noted that Pacquiao, even in a performance where he battered Algieri from pillar to post, rather regularly had trouble cutting off Aligieri's space. It's a big reason why he failed to stop Algieri, I think. Granted, that's always been a weakness for Pacquiao, but Spence didn't have any trouble doing it against Algieri from the very start of the fight. It wasn't because of some nebulous "athleticism", it's because he has good footwork.

He obviously thrives on the front foot, but he showed even for periods against Brook that he can box on the backfoot and use his jab to reasonable success. I was saying it because it suggests versatility (not particularly common versatility even at the top level).

The big shots that both men landed involved timing Porter and catching him as he lunged in. Both caught Porter coming in with their best shots. Obviously Thurman and Brook are different fighters and work a bit differently, but the point is that both regularly timed Porter and landed flush with some of their best punches, and both men's punches had similar effects. I don't see a considerable difference in power between the two.

Not mentioning Spence's infighting ability when talking about his skill as a boxer seems like a fairly glaring omission. He's as good as anyone in the sport at it. Of course, to get inside and make use of that infighting ability, cutting off the ring is fairly important, so I fail to see how his infighting ability being very good is necessarily an indictment of his footwork (that actually sounds fairly ridiculous).

Spence being near the top of the division isn't debatable. The only thing in question is whether or not he's the best WW in the world right now, and I think there is a pretty strong argument that he is.
Where's drunk JayE at these days? Haven't seen that guy in a minute. He's a solid guy.

Drunk JayE is cool too.

I'll tell you something funny on Garcia; he closes his eyes when he punches half of the time. It's the funniest shit ever and I'm amazed nobody has jumped on it.

I have noticed that since Garcia has been on TV. He almost always closes when he throws the hook. Marco Antonio Barrera would do the same thng.

As for the potential Keith fight. People give him WAY to much credit for his foot work. He can move side to side at times, who cares? Anyone is going to look like a fast footed ballerina vs Porter and Garcia who have some of the worst footwork ever.

I have noticed that since Garcia has been on TV. He almost always closes when he throws the hook. Marco Antonio Barrera would do the same thng.

As for the potential Keith fight. People give him WAY to much credit for his foot work. He can move side to side at times, who cares? Anyone is going to look like a fast footed ballerina vs Porter and Garcia who have some of the worst footwork ever.

He looks down half of the time too. I'd spend a whole camp looking at how to hit him with UCs. That is the only punch I'd set up. It's hard to land a clean hook with his head down.

Spot on

I concur.

He's got the same kinda footwork that Khan displayed whilst under Roach: fast wheels but too skittery & never totally under himself.

This allows him to flit about but it's why he gets pushed to the ropes so often; if he didn't go there he'd run out of ring & end up doing the Bambi-on-rollerskates thing. Too much bounce in it for my liking.

He looks like he's in a toughman fight every time
I don't like the style either but he matches up well against certain fighters. The Thurman fight was good fun IMO.

He looks down half of the time too. I'd spend a whole camp looking at how to hit him with UCs. That is the only punch I'd set up. It's hard to land a clean hook with his head down.

Spot on
The amazing part is how well he lands them lol. Like the Helen Keller school of boxing.

The amazing part is how well he lands them lol. Like the Helen Keller school of boxing.

Garcia closes his eyes because he throws that hook with the opponent when he punches. He knows he's going to get hit. I've heard people talk about that "flaw" in Garcia's game for years now and he still lands those hooks on top quality fighters.

Garcia closes his eyes because he throws that hook with the opponent when he punches. He knows he's going to get hit. I've heard people talk about that "flaw" in Garcia's game for years now and he still lands those hooks on top quality fighters.
Sure, but hes not fighting scrubs and youd think someone would be able to step out of them. Its one of the most entertaining punches in boxing right now.

Swift comes to fight. He doesnt give a fuck about trading to land his own.

Sure, but hes not fighting scrubs and youd think someone would be able to step out of them. Its one of the most entertaining punches in boxing right now.

Swift comes to fight. He doesnt give a fuck about trading to land his own.
I'm a big Garcia fan. He's sloppy but I think people focus on the wrong "flaws" in his style.

My problem with Garcia these days is that he's hook happy. I recall him knocking guys across the ring with a right cross early on in his career. He never throws that shot anymore. I'd like to see him work on tightening up his jab too. He has a good jab when he chooses to use it.

Barrera used to close his eyes all the time in exchanges and still land. D.Garcia reminds me of that with his left hook and eyes shut.

Back