Brock Lesnar is criminally underrated as a true "Mixed Martial Artist"

Those deficiencies would have gotten obviously better and better with just more sparring. He got into the sport when he was practically 30. More rounds you get in the more comfortable you are. Unfortunately the sport was not a big thing in terms of making money when he graduated from college.
He's been involved with MMA for like 11-12 years at this point. Something isn't right. Sure, maybe he's not an elite striker. But his striking isn't even amateur. I'm convinced that he doesn't even train it.

Brock is the last guy that truly represents just one style. It's pretty cool.

He's been involved with MMA for like 11-12 years at this point. Something isn't right. Sure, maybe he's not an elite striker. But his striking isn't even amateur. I'm convinced that he doesn't even train it.

He has not really been training in the sport for years now. He basically got sick fought twice more and went back to pro wrestling.

All he really needs is good defense striking.

Pair that up with a solid takedown, ground n pound, submission and overall top game and hes golden.

Not 1 style.

He's 2 dimensional like a HW Matt Hughes. Great wrestling with a deadly ground game (GnP and subs) and poor striking.

Power
Wrestling
Insane athlete
Competitor..

He had a lot of tools..

So many tools, yes, tools.

giphy.gif

No one doubts his wrestling and overall grappling. He's a monster. He's obviously one of the best in the world at it. He obviously takes it seriously and trains it seriously.

But where is his striking? He has all the natural gifts for it: chin, durability, cardio, speed, power, athleticism, coordination, height, reach. Great wrestling to enforce it and to back it up. But he acts like a noob when he gets hit.

It's sad because if he took striking as seriously as he obviously does take grappling, he'd be unstoppable.

Yep, i agree with this 100%. I partially blame it on his coaches, but also on the fact that Brock probably did not feel a naturally affinity to standup. Contrary to popular belief, Brock has a hell of a chin and pretty good power. The thinking with his camps was to focus on the grappling, thinking that his reach, speed, and chin would get him through striking.

CAN YOU SEE ME NAOW? CAN YOU SEE ME NAOW?

IM JUST A JACKED UP WHITE BOY

I stand before you, a humble champion...But im still the toughest SOB around baby.

CORMIER IM COMING FOR YOU MOTHERFUCKER

<CanYouSeeMeNow>

<{JustBleed}>

he´s the best steroid wrestler in the HW division

Oh.

that's because he sucks, is the product of decades of heavy PED use, and the only reason he's had any degree of success is because he fights in a division with a 60lb gap in weight where he can use his size to his advantage. I think that is less of a case today than it was when he was the "champion", but it still holds true.

Oh and he responds like an amateur if not worse when he faces any adversity....He simply doesn't belong fighting in the UFC in any meaningful capacity other than a fun sorta side show fight on a PPV....It's embarrassing on so many levels to have him compete.

The ONLY reason he's here is because the investors want a fucking return sooner than later.

I'm pretty sure juicing to the gills and acting like an asshole puts him out of the conversation of being a true martial artist.

I see this all the time in threads. Brock is green, Brock is a part time fighter, etc etc. I think most of this hate is simply because he was in WWE. Plenty of MMA fighters have been successful while not only holding a second job, but having less experience than Brock. To illustrate this point, I'll tell a little story. As you can guess from my join date, I've been around the game a long time.

The first time I saw Brock in person was at a power lifting competition in Iowa in 2006. The gym we used was also the home of Militech's gym. I got to talk to several fighters there including Matt Hughes and it was an awesome experience. Brock was all the talk and there were some pretty great stories. Mainly, that Brock got tapped out quite a bit his first few weeks, but was an absolute animal in the gym, and was already a handful after a month or so for everyone. And what gave him a HUGE advantage was that he was there every day, all day. Coupled with his already strong background in grappling, his ability to train full time, and his physical ability, the consensus from the folks I talked to that he would be unstoppable in 1 to 2 years time.

Flash forward 9 months, and I was back in Davenport for another lifting meet in late 2006. And guess what? Brock was still there, living in Iowa, and doing nothing but training. He left I believe shortly afterwards, but I was back at the Militech gym in 2008. Basically the word was he was constantly training grappling and submissions with Greg Nelson and other coaches back in Minnesota. Later on I learned is when he started Death Clutch.

Which brings me to my main point; people who have never trained don't realize how important it is to get a quantity of time in the gym. I've trained MT and BJJ for almost 15 years... but that is going to 1 hour classes 3-4 times a week. At that rate, I will never actually be elite at either. Brock has been in the position to train nearly full time, and has been doing it for nearly 10 years.

Yet if you listen to Shertards, Brock is a newbie. What they don't realize is that time in the Octagon is when you get to execute what you have learned, not a time to learn new things. Its time actually training that makes you a better MMA fighter. The consensus when Brock fought Carwin was that Brock was this somehow newb to MMA. when it was actually Carwin who treated MMA as a hobby, never trained full time, and his full time job was an engineer. Same thing with Miocic. Dude is a firefighter by trade and a part time fighter. Yet they don't get the hate Brock does, even though they if you actually measured time in training, it would pale to what Brock has put in.

u mean he so overrated.

Everything you said just makes him more overrated as a "true mixed martial artist"

Lesnar really missed the boat when Pride collapsed. He was tailor made for Japan.

He’s underrated by some, for sure. But there’s also legions of retards who think Brock is one of the greatest fighters ever, and will walk through DC. So no.

Brock is the UFC HW GOAT

Deal with it haters
<CanYouSeeMeNow><CanYouSeeMeNow>

Not Colby though, he’s just a troll

CAN YOU SEE ME NAOW? CAN YOU SEE ME NAOW?

IM JUST A JACKED UP WHITE BOY

I stand before you, a humble champion...But im still the toughest SOB around baby.

CORMIER IM COMING FOR YOU MOTHERFUCKER

<CanYouSeeMeNow>

<{JustBleed}>
tenor.gif

Brock is legit. Won the tittle, unified it and defended it too.

Never refused or cherry picked any opponent, always entertaining.

Yea he reacts bad to getting hit (tho he has a granite chin) I suspect he doesn't do much sparring why would he even do it come to think of it ? you a 30+ guy getting into MMA and is coming from a grappling background why not focus completely on cardio, wrestling, submissions, GnP.. you want him to put in 1000 sparring hours at this point ? vs other HWs for crying out loud. His arms look like legs he ain't even built for crisp striking he is made for wrestling and GnP.

PS: He has done all this with severe illness, late in age, already a celebrity and with plenty of money and options ahead of him. Respect for Brock.

Yea he screwed up once with USADA (cream and inhalers bros) but who was he fighting again kangaroo Mir, Natural Randy, Carwin with growing hands and head... etc it is what it is.

Last edited:
I see this all the time in threads. Brock is green, Brock is a part time fighter, etc etc. I think most of this hate is simply because he was in WWE. Plenty of MMA fighters have been successful while not only holding a second job, but having less experience than Brock. To illustrate this point, I'll tell a little story. As you can guess from my join date, I've been around the game a long time.

The first time I saw Brock in person was at a power lifting competition in Iowa in 2006. The gym we used was also the home of Militech's gym. I got to talk to several fighters there including Matt Hughes and it was an awesome experience. Brock was all the talk and there were some pretty great stories. Mainly, that Brock got tapped out quite a bit his first few weeks, but was an absolute animal in the gym, and was already a handful after a month or so for everyone. And what gave him a HUGE advantage was that he was there every day, all day. Coupled with his already strong background in grappling, his ability to train full time, and his physical ability, the consensus from the folks I talked to that he would be unstoppable in 1 to 2 years time.

Flash forward 9 months, and I was back in Davenport for another lifting meet in late 2006. And guess what? Brock was still there, living in Iowa, and doing nothing but training. He left I believe shortly afterwards, but I was back at the Militech gym in 2008. Basically the word was he was constantly training grappling and submissions with Greg Nelson and other coaches back in Minnesota. Later on I learned is when he started Death Clutch.

Which brings me to my main point; people who have never trained don't realize how important it is to get a quantity of time in the gym. I've trained MT and BJJ for almost 15 years... but that is going to 1 hour classes 3-4 times a week. At that rate, I will never actually be elite at either. Brock has been in the position to train nearly full time, and has been doing it for nearly 10 years.

Yet if you listen to Shertards, Brock is a newbie. What they don't realize is that time in the Octagon is when you get to execute what you have learned, not a time to learn new things. Its time actually training that makes you a better MMA fighter. The consensus when Brock fought Carwin was that Brock was this somehow newb to MMA. when it was actually Carwin who treated MMA as a hobby, never trained full time, and his full time job was an engineer. Same thing with Miocic. Dude is a firefighter by trade and a part time fighter. Yet they don't get the hate Brock does, even though they if you actually measured time in training, it would pale to what Brock has put in.
Very well put sir.
And very cool to hear first hand experience in a fighters come up, especially Lesnar.
{<redford}

I agree with the thread title. People seem to forget he was a 3 time champion... & did it with a major illness that his doctors say had him running on less energy than he otherwise would've had.

Back