Brock Lesnar is criminally underrated as a true "Mixed Martial Artist"

I agree with the thread title. People seem to forget he was a 3 time champion... & did it with a major illness that his doctors say had him running on less energy than he otherwise would've had.

he was also a WWE champion.

Show me someone who held the two most respected belts.

he just came to the UFC and made millions of dollars.

Fedor&Brock&Cain = GOATZ

Yup, he really is the beast incarnate/conqueror.

Pro wrestling haters are too embarrassed to admit it and will find a way to discredit him.

giphy.gif

No one doubts his wrestling and overall grappling. He's a monster. He's obviously one of the best in the world at it. He obviously takes it seriously and trains it seriously.

But where is his striking? He has all the natural gifts for it: chin, durability, cardio, speed, power, athleticism, coordination, height, reach. Great wrestling to enforce it and to back it up. But he acts like a noob when he gets hit.

It's sad because if he took striking as seriously as he obviously does take grappling, he'd be unstoppable.

he isn't that tall for a HW though he is 6'2(measured) has the reach of a 6'8 guy though

Frank Mir dislikes Brock and he has been on record saying, if the dude never got sick he would of been one of the top guys for years.

He wouldn't have beat Cain imo, but I think a healthy Brock would of beat Reem.

Brock won the belt after like 3 fights. WWE >>>>>>>>> UFC

And with all that...Cain will destroy him again, and what does Lesnar have for DC? Hes definitely no newbie, but his late introduction to MMA is his downfall . His striking is sub-par and if he can't physically overpower an opponent, he curls like a newborn fetus

i think a healthy broc beats anyone. including grey beard cain.

Work ethic and steroids are good to have, yes. But what really set Brock apart is his breakdancing.
aha!!! I remember that well.... The Brock Break-dancing his way across the cage in 2010 with Cain in hot pursuit..... good memories!

His size and dominant crucifix position was absolutely devastating, no doubt but his chin was weak and his punches where a joke.

He was a charging bull that when he got you down, it was lights out usually.

good wrestling and good speed for his size. that's about it.
Add great strength and decent power in his hands and you would be right. But by that point you are listing 4 of 7 traits needed to be a good MMA fighter.
Wrestling or analogue Check
Speed Check
Strength Check
Hand Power Check
Kicking power - negative
Cardio - probably above average here
Submissions - He did arm triangle Carwin so passible?

We could add to that list, Chin? I would say below average, but I am including his occasional reaction to being punched in the face, and his weakness to body shots.
When you look at it honestly he is pretty well rounded, He could sure use some more work on technique.

If he dedicated himself to MMA I do wonder what the result would be.

* all of these are affected by his steroid use, without steroids, who knows what his performance would be like. For this reason he is not one of the "Greats" even though his resume and title defenses should put him in the category of HW greats.

His striking instincts looked much improved against Mark Hunt, I'll give him that much. I haven't been following him but wouldn't be surprised to hear he kept training it.

No one doubts his wrestling and overall grappling. He's a monster. He's obviously one of the best in the world at it. He obviously takes it seriously and trains it seriously.

But where is his striking? He has all the natural gifts for it: chin, durability, cardio, speed, power, athleticism, coordination, height, reach. Great wrestling to enforce it and to back it up. But he acts like a noob when he gets hit.

It's sad because if he took striking as seriously as he obviously does take grappling, he'd be unstoppable.
I don't know how to adjust for this so I put it under Chin, It is not a good fit, but when he is against a decent to good striker it can cause problems for him. I do wonder what the Randy fight would have been like if Randy just tried boxing instead of clinching. I think it would have ended faster for Randy, but we don't know.

Secondly, if he ever got good at chaining his power, his punches would be unreal. His striking was just too bad, amateurish does not do it justice really. Having said that, several times it was effective because the reasons you mention, Power, speed, reach, and reaction time. I like your breakdown.

Decent wrestler who is literally bigger and stronger in the entire division does not make you a martial artists. The dude wouldn't even let people hit him when training LMAO. Add to that the blatant PED use and you just have a giant fucking monster that is able to beat people up on raw athleticism rather than talent.

Back