British or American music ?

plasterdog

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
First off leave your patriotism at the door!

Just curious as to what you think.

I love music from every country and every genre. I was listening to a German guy the other day who plays purely Indian style, forget his name.

So this isn't a thread that I want to turn into Brit vs America.

If I had to live the rest of my life with only 1 places music then it would have to be America.

I love both with a passion but I think America trumps us.

My brother made a good point, he to prefers American but he said p4p that our music is better. I agree with this, America has so much fucking music so you produce the best and the worst and you produce so much.

Brits produce less but a lot of what we do is really good but definitely for me personally American music kicks some fucking ass.

I love all genres, my Swedish mate is purely metal and asked me if I prefer English or American metal. For me there is no question..... Yanks are shit hot, bands like Pantera, Stuck Mojo etc. are insanely amazing. He prefers English, I think the age difference had a factor, he was born 10 years before me.

Anyway I love all genres. Let's take rap for instance, you guys are obviously the heavyweight champ with no-one coming close, we have some good shit but you guys prob wouldn't like it because of accents and not understanding but we have some good shit to.

I am right now into an 80's rock stage, currently listening to The Outfield - Your Love (apparently it's from a GTA game but I don't play games) and Eddie Money - Take me home tonight.

Anyway like I said, leave patriotism at the door and if you're just judging Brit music from old stuff then listen to some new stuff.

America just has entertainment on lockdown these days. You get a handful of talent from around the world, but the bulk is here.

Or at least, that's the way it seems, living in America and all.

I dont know. I like a lot of stuff from all over.

If it sounds good I wouldn't care if it was from the depths of the Mariana.

Why the international divide sir?

If it sounds good I wouldn't care if it was from the depths of the Mariana.

Why the international divide sir?

not a divide, just curious.

It's more when I'm talking to people about metal that it comes up.

It's an interesting 1 that's all.

You name a great band from America and then you can name one from Britain and it goes on and on. I was chatting with my Swedish mate who was reeling off Brit bands and why they were better and I was reeling of Yank bands, this went on for ages and I just found it interesting, there's so many great bands out there from both countries and just wondered what mayberrians think.

Both. Good music knows no borders and while America is always a top performer in entertainment, music is something brits still do very, very well.

I prefer European metal.

Songs about witchcraft, elfs, magic, the moon, battles, swords and wizards?

Although, I will say, and I dont care what any of you think.. HIM is prolly hands down my all time favourite band, they're from Finland.

I am a bit of an Anglophile, though not nearly as much as when I was younger, so for me it's easily British music.
The Americans might have a bigger number of good bands, but the UK's best bands are 385835 times better than the best American band.
IMHO.

I am a bit of an Anglophile, though not nearly as much as when I was younger, so for me it's easily British music.
The Americans might have a bigger number of good bands, but the UK's best bands are 385835 times better than the best American band.
IMHO.

You name the best British bands from any genre, and I'll try to find their counterparts.

I don't care. If I like it, I like it.

British takes it.
America produced my all time favourite band (The Doors) but overall Britain takes it. I would actually say I prefer more American music myself as well (Kings Of Leon, The Killers, The Eels among my favourites), but too much has come out of Britain over the years.

Difficult to say, both music cultures influenced so much each other.

Back