British or American music ?

These guys have become a personal favorite of mine. Italian Power/Folk Metal.

Most of my favorite bands are from Europe.
Most of my favorite solo artists are from America.

I think it's friendlier overseas, but America produces the most tortured souls who parlay it into music.

This isn't an easy question for me to answer, because when I think of American music I generally think of rock and roll, blues, and hiphop. And there have been quite a number of successful if not superior British acts. However, whenever I think of British music, my mind invokes pan flutes, lyres, and possibly hand-holding dwarves. Which isn't exactly fair.

in this thread r&b,blues,folk,singing groups,jazz,country,etc never existed

I think the reason people are not talking about them is because you cant really compare across genres, and UK obviously doesnt have much country music (in which the country refered to is USA) and blues etc.

USA would win by default, although I see you didnt mention classical music, which is a different story. UK has also invented many modern genres which USA has contributed little to.

However we can really only compare like to like and that's why people are talking about rock and roll :)

in this thread r&b,blues,folk,singing groups,jazz,country,etc never existed

I'll fix that.

British R 'n B

American R 'n B

American Country

Couldn't think of a British country song.

So i'll just leave this instead, cos it's awesome.

Has to be British. I listen to plenty of American music like, there's a lot of good stuff, but the most of my favourite acts are British

I think it's friendlier overseas, but America produces the most tortured souls who parlay it into music.

It's funny you say that, I was thinking recently that the reason Britain and Ireland produce a lot of music is because (I find) socializing in these countries extremely dysfunctional, especially in Ireland. Most socializing and attempted romancing takes place under the influence and as a result often goes no where. I know plenty of grown men who have zero communication skills when it comes to the opposite sex. I think a lot of Brits and Irish have channeled that sexual frustration into their music over the years.

Have you ever seen the way Italians, French, Spanish, Dutch, Germans etc communicate with the opposite sex? Amazingly well adjusted. And have you ever listened to their music?

personally id have to say america... while imo the brits had them beat with alot of the classic and early "rock and roll"
cant take anything away from the beatles, zeplin, floyd, queen....
but the same can be said about hendrix, pantera, doors, ccr, skynyrd...
id also give the edge to america in terms of the sheer amount of diffrent types of music
the birth of hip hop. jazz, blues, metal, rock, pop, country...
but i love all music and it dosent matter where its made

It's funny you say that, I was thinking recently that the reason Britain and Ireland produce a lot of music is because (I find) socializing in these countries extremely dysfunctional, especially in Ireland. Most socializing and attempted romancing takes place under the influence and as a result often goes no where. I know plenty of grown men who have zero communication skills when it comes to the opposite sex. I think a lot of Brits and Irish have channeling that sexual frustration into their music over the years.

That's a very agreeable theory.
I just think Teh Foreigners like to do it together, ya know?

Bands in America seem to be a vessel for a front man to get his career off of the ground a lot of the time. That may happen overseas as well, but there appears to be more stability and camaraderie

80's to mid-late 90's British music was real good (The Cure, Massive Attack, Smiths, Portishead, Depeche Mode, Jesus and Mary Chain, etc.), but some of those bands/groups pretty much suck now.

I've been into mostly American music, for the past 5 years or so.

80's to mid-late 90's British music was real good (The Cure, Massive Attack, Smiths, Portishead, Depeche Mode, Jesus and Mary Chain, etc.), but some of those bands/groups pretty much suck now.

I've been into mostly American music, for the past 5 years or so.

You forgot Orange Juice

Bands in America seem to be a vessel for a front man to get his career off of the ground a lot of the time. That may happen overseas as well, but there appears to be more stability and camaraderie

True, I know what you mean about the camaraderie.

Back