British or American music ?

LED Zeppelin.
Pink Floyd.
Cliff Richard (Hate the shite but you cant argue with it)
David Bowie
Iron Maiden
The Who
Stereophonics
Oasis
Elton John
The Bee Gees.

And record sales cant really be compared as americans might tend to buy american music and when they do, the numbers are higher because guess what, there are more people in america than in the UK.

^Why would you put Stereophonics with those bands though :icon_lol:

^Why would you put Stereophonics with those bands though :icon_lol:

Purely because they sprung to mind as I have known their sound to be used in many TV productions even in the US. No idea about record sales, but they have been around for years, still produce good music and from what I know always sell out when on tour.

Oh, and they are welsh. So they are up against it from the outset so they have to be given credit.
But I agree they are not in the same league as the others in that list (yet anyway)

I like music from all over the world (i mean all!) but in my opinion, the answer is British. You talk about "leaving patriotism at the door" but the simple fact is that the music appeals more to me because I'm coming from the same place as them.

Interestingly there are much more British acts in the top 50 selling artists of America, than vice versa.
I don't really listen to American bands that were popular in the last 20 years, although there is a lot of the classics that I do like.

American music I like:
> Elvis Presley
> Mo-town; like Temptations, Four tops, Jacksons, and some of those others have had great tunes but I wouldnt say I was a fan.
> at a push; Eagles, Skynard and Journey, maybe Beach Boys.

americans have produced some all time classic tunes, but there are very few US artists where I would listen to their albums.

Regarding the "name some british bands and I'll give you their american counterparts" comment someone made, someone asked me that before, I said Queen, they said Journey.
come on!
As for reasons, I blame the weather...many people probably just sit inside and play music or sing because the weather is so shit all the time in England.

Last edited:
The Beatles > any American band. So by default, British wins.

British:
Led Zeppelin
The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
David Bowie
Black Sabbath
The Who
The Kinks
Pink Floyd (even though I hate them)
... They have so many of the biggest influential bands

The usa has had some of the greatest
Bob Dylan
The Byrds
The Doors
(often forgotten) Phil Ochs
Woody Guthrie...

Last edited:
I like both. My favorite bands are mayday parade, you me at six, arctic monkeys and the strokes. So I'm pretty divided.

Both

1 Gorillaz - Britain
2 kid cudi - USA
3 sublime - USA
4 The Beatles - Britain
5 Queen - Britain

I listen to Hip Hop and all the good shit comes from America so I guess it's American music for me.

Favorite bands:
1. Iron Maiden- English
2. Amorphis- Finland
3. Judas Priest- English
4. Dio- America
5. Soundgarden- America

Don't really have a preference but most of my favourite bands are American.

Megadeth, Dream Theater & Pantera are American. so, yeah.

btw, am I the only one who cannot help but laugh hysterically at the very thought of French hip hop?

depends on the era, late 70's and early 80's British was some of the best. Basically after there is a recession a shitload of great bands and singers come out of England. So we are due for a great crop soon.

American bands were really peaking in the 90's and early 2000's recently. Right now we are all in a funk.

Then you get crap like the Spice Girls, Right Said Fred and One Direction. Although we have our share of musical abortions as well.

Back