Bring on Kermit Cintron!!

Um cintron would be one of the guys if he ever switched over they would feed him cans and build him up. James toney worked because he talks like a retard and talks shit about mma. Cintron would be class and get respect, you dumb.

Well, the way you disrespected JT your obviously a UFC whore that fell for the hype last night aren't you?, and your idea by building Cintron up by feeding him cans... you mean he would have to go through The Ultimated Fighter right?

Cintron is not classy or respected BTW, you retard!

I'm not saying he would beat the best of the best.. but he has the tools to compete.. which Toney did not..

Cintron would be a Marcus Davis level threat in his first fight.. and that threat would increase significantly every fight he had

Dana would never bring a young, powerful and athletic boxer with a wrestling background to the UFC and humiliate his guys...

Why not?

Boxing + Wrestling = Mixed Martial Arts

If Cintron (or any boxer) has a wrestling background they would cease to be a boxer. They would be a Mixed Martial Artist and that's the point.

Just Boxing = Boxer
Just BJJ = BJJ'er
Just Wrestling = Wrestler

As soon as you combine them even if it's a wrestler with submission defense or a boxer with take down defense then they become a mixed martial artist. Would an elite boxer with solid wrestling skills do well in the UFC? Of course because they would be a mixed martial artist.

MMA > than any single martial art. That's all last night proved.

Why not?

If Cintron (or any boxer) has a wrestling background they would cease to be a boxer. They would be a Mixed Martial Artist and that's the point.

Just Boxing = Boxer
Just BJJ = BJJ'er

As soon as you combine them even if it's a wrestler with submission defense or a boxer with take down defense then they become a mixed martial artist. Would an elite boxer with solid wrestling skills do well in the UFC? Of course because they would be a mixed martial artist.

+1
Well Put!

Why not?

Just Boxing = Boxer
Just BJJ = BJJ'er

I have been trying since 1993 to explain it to people and it just doesn't work. When CC defended td's from world class wrestlers he became a MIXED martial artist, to use one example.
It's like a football game where one team uses only running plays and nothing else or plays one standard defensive scheme for each play.
It reminds me of some Tae Kwon Do BB named (possibly) Phillip Ameris who in the 90's was offered a fight with either Kenny Monday or Kevin Jackson (I can't remember.) He said he wasn't going to take the fight at that time because he wanted a year to work on his wrestling so he could truly represent TKD.

Why not?

Just Boxing = Boxer
Just BJJ = BJJ'er

Couldnt agree more

But Dana wouldnt see it from that angle, infact lets look at it another from another angle rather than a Mixed Martial Artist thing and look at it from a business standpoint

Dana is not for MMA but for UFC, with Cintron, there would be a huge chance that he would be successful in MMA and Dana knows this, so, it wouldnt another UFC vs Boxing gimmick, but it would be more like, Cintron is the next big thing because he went through The Ultimate Fighter, he will be plastered with Tapout shirts left and right, make numerous UFC show appearances, theres no way Dana would credit Boxing or Cintron's boxing for him being successful in the UFC, so in turn Cintron's boxing career would work against him, Dana would have to be very creative in to making Cintron a UFC produce, but another major obstacle involved is Cintron belongs to a very big boxing promoter DiBella, he wouldnt let him go that easily.

Don't feel bad, OP. I was rooting for Toney as well.

YouTube - Kermit Cintron KO2 Walter Matthysse

all i gotta say is... cintron is the PERFECT canidate for mma. he wont make it to the top of the mountain in boxing... i mean he's a A fighter.... just not a A+ fighter.

he could really build a legacy in mma if he were to switch over now and really make a career change. you know what they say... mma is the sport for guys that couldnt make it in theirs ;)

if he takes mma seroiusly, get wtih a good camp, train muay thai, bjj and mma for the next year...... watch out.

he's not no slick style counter punch, foot planted type of boxer. cintron throws in combinations, has good foot work, speed and power. i hope he gives mma a shot.... lets face it, he's right under the best in boxing. he has a chance to be the best in mma.

keep a open mind, get with a good camp and he could on top of the mma world within 5 fights!!! ahhaha

Of course, I doubt he would ever come to UFC....I mean why the hell would he considering the pay discrepancy in boxing vs MMA.

However, I would be very interested in seeing a boxer (in his prime) with a wrestling background in MMA.

I was very naive (and borderline delusional) to think James Toney was going to pull this off...not with his training/work ethic.

Seeing a younger, talented boxer like Kermit Cintron in the UFC would be very interesting, and more representative of how a "boxer would do in MMA."

Look bro. If he tries it. I still think he needs to learn some BJJ. He actually has the body built that works for MMA. Yes wrestling background.. he can prob outwrestle big James Toney him self like Couture did LOL. But He needs to start slow... you cant just jump in there against the top guys.

An example us Boing fans can understand. Amateur Boxers... guys who come out with alot of promise. You just dont take Oscar De La Hoya and on his first pro fight put him in against Chavez. You just dont.

Kermit should do what Jeremy Williams did. Test the waters... and if you feel enough is enough leave. Williams felt, even at 5-0 that he's too old to do anything serious and went about his life. But first lets see what he can do.

Plus you cant dive out of the cage. haha Jk

So is Cintron a wrestler because he did that first?

If Kermit Cintron ever competed in MMA, who would he be representing?

If you answered anything other than Kermit Cintron, you are incorrect.

Why not?

Just Boxing = Boxer
Just BJJ = BJJ'er

wow you went all out. anyway a Boxer is a fighter to participates in the Sport of Boxing. Everyone else is just a person and differant people have differant things. Jeremy Williams was and is a Pro Boxer (unless he retired already) and when he faught in MMA he was a "mixed martial artist" . By your logic they shouldnt call Boxing in MMA, boxing. They should call it throwing punches since they're not doing 95% of the other stuff Boxers do in the ring. Once the stance is differant then im sorry its not boxing. Once you throw a kick.. its not Boxing.

Differant SPORTS.

So WTF is Jordan. A Mixed Sports Baller? Since he played Basketball and baseball

Dana would never bring a young, powerful and athletic boxer with a wrestling background to the UFC and humiliate his guys, he'd rather bring in an over weight and over the hill fighter with a speech impidement that is 3-2-1 in his last 7 fights and hasnt stopped anybody in 7 years.

Dana is only a business man, and I hope he burns in hell, but we can only blame Toney for taking the bait!

This. I was really disgusted at how much Dana was hyping that this was a the best boxer to ever try his hand at MMA.

wow you went all out. anyway a Boxer is a fighter to participates in the Sport of Boxing. Everyone else is just a person and differant people have differant things. Jeremy Williams was and is a Pro Boxer (unless he retired already) and when he faught in MMA he was a "mixed martial artist" . By your logic they shouldnt call Boxing in MMA, boxing. They should call it throwing punches since they're not doing 95% of the other stuff Boxers do in the ring. Once the stance is differant then im sorry its not boxing. Once you throw a kick.. its not Boxing.

You use aspects of martial arts in MMA. I do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu but don't use spider guard or sleeve grips in MMA. In wrestling you will at times give up your back which is dangerous in MMA and you don't win in MMA by pin. Point being - you use ASPECTS of certain martial arts in MMA. No martial art stays pure in MMA, you emphasize certain aspects of each art and then you minimize certain other aspects.

So WTF is Jordan. A Mixed Sports Baller? Since he played Basketball and baseball

No, this is a bad example and not analogous. While playing baseball Jordan was only playing baseball. He wasn't shooting free throws or dribbling while trying to catch fly-balls or running bases. Just like he wasn't hitting baseballs while shooting 3 pointers. Jordan participated in two different athletic disciplines exclusively and there was zero crossover in core skill sets during the commission of each different activity.

Kermit is in his early 30's, doubt he'll make the switch now.

Toney made a cold miilion 4 this fight, how much do Cintron make?

Hes not a legend, he has to work his way up through the ranks because unlike Toney, hes not a bloated fighter completely past his prime. Plus, he has a legit shot at completely embarrassing the UFC champ, whoever it be at lightweight.

So essentially, he'll make 5K to fight, 5 to win...

hasnt wrestled in over a decade, and the talent pool at 55 is like... lightyears ahead of hw at this point. even someone like noons has been at mma for 8 years now

hed probably lose a bellator tournament in the first round of eliminators

but he's at the pinnacle of boxing for the most part, maybe at the same level of askren or someone like that. give him the cormier treatment, match him up against some shitty cans and go from there

Kermit has been helping mma fighters with there boxing for a few years, he helped horn train for the chuck lidell fight. Guaranteed he is thinking about it a lot that's why he called out din Thomas and sherk.

Kermit can't dive out of a cage. No go.

screw Cintron..left a bad taste in my mouth after his last fight, if i were to pick an elite boxer to fight MMA, David Haye would do..hes been training BJJ for a while and also Andre Berto because his brothers and sisters are MMA fighters..so theres a good chance he probably cross trains..

Back