International Brexit News & Discussion v7: British Parliament Rejects Theresa May's Brexit Deal (Again)

Wait, no. I remember seeing headlines on a newspaper stand that the vote passed at a hotel when I had my travel job

Well dang. I looked it up and that vote was 2016. Wow. That's a hard memory of mine that's just way off. Must have been one of the few times I traveled in my last job.

Thank you for correcting me.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_memory

Also, the vote was just on the basic question of whether or not to leave the EU. No details regarding the how. That's why a referendum could have been held on the deal negotiated with the EU. Now this is apparently off the table for now, so hard Brexit with all crazy consequences is likely to occur.

The sooner they realise the only path that can command a majority is the EFTA/EEA fudge the better

The sooner they realise the only path that can command a majority is the EFTA/EEA fudge the better

You mean the one that enables free movement of labour? I thought immigration was the key issue?

''Yellow vests" are simply angry people. No coherent political agenda, no one to talk to. I therefore agree with Macron's stance of basically ignoring them. Of course one should analyse who these people are and try to look at causes for their discontent, but they are not a uniform mass.

There is a pretty coherent political agenda when the most common slogan shouted during the demonstrations is "Macron, resign!". He'll never resign himself, but he can still dissolve the National Assembly and call for new elections to see if he still has the people's support.

There is a pretty coherent political agenda when the most common slogan shouted during the demonstrations is "Macron, resign!". He'll never resign himself, but he can still dissolve the National Assembly and call for new elections to see if he still has the people's support.

A 'not X' is not a political agenda. A 'not x, but y instead' is.

Also, I was referring to the yellow vest phemophenon in general, which by now transcends France.

Also, I was referring to the yellow vest phemophenon in general, which by now transcends France.

I disagree, there are no Yellow Vests movements that come even close to the numbers and size we have in France. I also think foreign copycats are very skewed because abroad, and I'm not sure why it's the case, it's mostly right wing sources and pundits that reported about the Gilets Jaunes. The British leaflet posted here is a pretty good example of that, I have never heard anyone mention the three quarters of those issues in a Gilets Jaunes demonstration, and I did four of them.

That looks and reads like it was typed out by a 5 year old.

Header: "...What we stand for"

Underneath lists "child abuse", "corrupt police", "corrupt politicians" and "greedy bankers"? Ugh...So you're for those things?

"Pentioners"

<{clintugh}>

What the hell is "False adoption" even supposed to mean?

Just a list of vague, meaningless platitudes you often hear from ill informed/stupid people.

My advice to these people is, don't breed.
did you see the video where Anna Soubry was being harrassed? There was an activist getting an interview from her called Femi at the time and the yellow vest guy called him "Lammy" obviously thinking he was the MP David Lammy. Femi immediately said "Did you just call me Lammy?" to which the goofball replied "Oh what is that cultural appropriation?"

honestly at that point I couldnt tell if he was a moron or some form of genius that was arguing in a way that lesser beings couldnt understand.......... I quickly settled on moron lol

honestly at that point I couldnt tell if he was a moron or some form of genius that was arguing in a way that lesser beings couldnt understand.......... I quickly settled on moron lol

The whole thing made me feel like I was taking crazy pills , but i guess that's just where we're at right now .

http://theconversation.com/brexit-a...-and-why-it-wouldnt-be-easy-for-the-uk-109981

Good article on the issues with the EFTA/EEA solution.
Also (from December):

The former Labour foreign secretary David Miliband and the Tory former universities minister Jo Johnson also condemned Norway-plus as throwing away a key advantage of current membership “in the form of our vote, voice and veto around the table”.

(...)

The two men insist Norway-plus “would not be easy to negotiate, would not mean reduced payments to the EU and would not allow the UK to end freedom of movement for migrants from the EU”.

Speaking on BBC Radio 4’s Today programme, Johnson said: “Norway-plus does not deliver on the referendum since it would reduce the UK to a nation of lobbyists camped outside the European parliament in Brussels.” Describing such an outcome as undignified and the worst of all worlds, he said it would only add to a sense of deceit for voters who had backed Brexit.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...oliticians-reject-uks-norway-plus-brexit-plan

In any case: there will be no EFTA/EEA solution by end of March, and the EU will not postpone Brexit for more than a couple of weeks because then Brexit would interfere with the EP elections.

thumb_the-uk-i-think-we-fucked-up-this-brexit-thing-39786323.png

http://theconversation.com/brexit-a...-and-why-it-wouldnt-be-easy-for-the-uk-109981

Good article on the issues with the EFTA/EEA solution.
Also (from December):

The former Labour foreign secretary David Miliband and the Tory former universities minister Jo Johnson also condemned Norway-plus as throwing away a key advantage of current membership “in the form of our vote, voice and veto around the table”.

(...)

The two men insist Norway-plus “would not be easy to negotiate, would not mean reduced payments to the EU and would not allow the UK to end freedom of movement for migrants from the EU”.

Speaking on BBC Radio 4’s Today programme, Johnson said: “Norway-plus does not deliver on the referendum since it would reduce the UK to a nation of lobbyists camped outside the European parliament in Brussels.” Describing such an outcome as undignified and the worst of all worlds, he said it would only add to a sense of deceit for voters who had backed Brexit.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...oliticians-reject-uks-norway-plus-brexit-plan

In any case: there will be no EFTA/EEA solution by end of March, and the EU will not postpone Brexit for more than a couple of weeks because then Brexit would interfere with the EP elections.

I don't think it's a preferable option but it seems to be one of the few outcomes that might get through the HOP.

You don't think they'd postpone A50 for a second referendum?

I don't think it's a preferable option but it seems to be one of the few outcomes that might get through the HOP.

You don't think they'd postpone A50 for a second referendum?

Only if they were absolutely sure they would win .

after watching question time last night its clear that England is set on jumping off the cliff, there is no appetite for a referendum on the deal. The people of England want no deal... so thats what they should have.

Scotland on the other hand, we have other options.

So are they getting a hard brexit or not? I hope they do.

Back